Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New car.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,803 Times

Default New car.

Hi peep's
    I am wanting a new car and am wondering who does the best deal's.
    I am only 21 so will be getting a small engined car 1.3 or smaller.
    I know insurance is the killer, do any of the manufacture's do free insurance?
    What are your thort's? What should I go for?
    I have just been to vauxhaul and enquired about a corsa and I can easy afford 1 its just the insurance that im botherd about.
    As always your thorts are valued.
    Stealth

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,940 Times

My thoughts are, if you go to a dealer and buy a brand new car, you are a tit, espec being so young. Don't get tied down to finance, especially for a feckin corsa. Corsas are cheap shit and if paying brand new prices you'll be looking at what 6-9 grand?
    Ridiculous money, you could buy a frickin Mitsubish evo for half that only a couple of years old.

Brand new cars lose thousands the moment they are driven off the forecourt.
    And brand new cars are no way any less likely to break down. Cars break down, its the nature of mechanical things. And to be fair, a brand new car will have so many electrical systems running anything that you get an issue, you can guarantee it won't be cheap.

Sorry to sound like an ass mate but seriously, don't be a fool, don't buy a car on an HP agreement from a dealer, either buy a car outright for cash, or get a bank loan to pay for one or something, and make sure it is a USED car, preferably from a private seller. Dealers are pure rip off merchants, if I were you I would find a friend who knows about cars and get them to help you find a decent used car.

As for insurance, free insurance? no such thing, as I said, your car loses thousands the second you drive away, nothing is free in this world!

If you have your heart set on a corsa then by all means go for one, but at least a 5 yr old one and you could buy 5 for the same money. Also used cars are actually pretty cheap at the mo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Up_in_smoke For This Useful Post:

flogrow (04-05-11)

Thanks

Spend 1K on the car max, your more likely to crash inside your first six months, better to prang a banger than a 3-5k car.

1.4/1.6 litre engines are gonna be 'top of the range' as a new driver. Choose your used car wisely, dont ever buy any car with lexus lights or a non standard exterior (bodykits) it will be a shitterand cost you a fortune. they always do (previous exp)

dont get no fancy ideas about changing the engine and not telling the insurance. drive your banger into the ground for 2 years, save shitloads of money and buy a better car at the end.

Joining an owners club online can sometimes get you a small discount on insurance. check everywhere you can for quotes. the more the better.

last piece of advice. dont drive like a prick with your mates in the car. you dont want to be going to their funerals or them to yours.

Thanks

Thanks for the wise words people. I have been driving since I was 15, obviously ilegally. I have been passed since I was 19 and never been pulled so I am a pretty experienced driver.
    I have had 5 cars up 2 now, all but 1 being on the ruff side.
    I am tired of driving nails that cost an arm n a leg to keep on the road so thats why I want new or nearly new. The free insurance thing I was told about by somone I work with. They said that some manufactures give u a year free with a new car and also new cars dont need mot'ing for 3 years so I figured new would work out cheaper...?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,721 Times

Up_in_smoke is bang on the money. 2 Years ago I had my heart set on a Corsa/Astra VXR. Brand new, an Astra VXR is around £18k. After four years from brand new, the going price for a second hand one is around £8K -/+. Thats 10 grand lost in four years for the priviliage of having a new car. The only good thing about buying the car brand new is no MOT for 3 years and they're under warrenty and if you haggle, you can get services thrown in too. Some car dealerships do offer a years insurance with it, but that is added on in the price, hidden somewhere and they don't tell you that. I like to call car dealers, stealers cos that is whhat they are.

If you have a british Car auctions near you, go on a day where it is ex-rental/company cars. They're usually 2-3 years old, well maintained cos they belong to the companies who need to make sure they are in tiptop condition. You can pick the cars up surprisingly cheap for what they are. On other days, its part exchanged cars that go through, which again, can be real cheap but you need to know cars a bit to make sure you're not buying a thrashed and abused car etc.

I'm not trying to put you off buying a brand new car, I just don't want you to lose all that money in deppreciation. A VW polo holds its value much better, less problems most likely and look better, my cuz bout a 10 plate one last year.

Sorry about the essay, I'm very very passionate about cars, escpecially JAP cars.

Thanks

im 23 and my insurance has just doubled!!!!!, not claimed and got more no claims. rite hears the trick giv all ur details in, just say u born 1988, well type in 1978..........OOOOOPS TYPING ERROR, if they ever found out, u argue its an easy mistake and they make you pay diffrence, just dont crash and make them get on to it!!!!!!!!!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Law Abiding Citizen For This Useful Post:

Denzil (04-05-11)

Thanks

I trade cars as a bit of a hobby and i can tell you that its a buyers market right now for anything over 4/5 years old, dont bother buying a car on hp its just not worth it you will lose money the entire period that you own it (or dont), dont get a car loan either as it will rape you in the long run. I wouldnt bother spending anything over 4k for a small engined car at the minute as you get alot for your money. Try something like an audi a2 1.4 great car for the money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbread man View Post
    im 23 and my insurance has just doubled!!!!!, not claimed and got more no claims. rite hears the trick giv all ur details in, just say u born 1988, well type in 1978..........OOOOOPS TYPING ERROR, if they ever found out, u argue its an easy mistake and they make you pay diffrence, just dont crash and make them get on to it!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry mate but giving that sort of advice out its pretty stupid. If the OP was to follow your advice they would be driving around without any insurance (its your responsibility to check though the insurnace documents and that they are right) but you also paid a fair bit of money.

As for ops its a typo, when it makes you 10 years older I think an insurance company would see right through you and void the policy.

As for the car, just get something old and slow. Im slightly older than you and brought a small hatchback thats over 10 years old and my insurance isnt too bad at all, under £600 fully comp.

Thanks

Im paying 2.950 quid on my civic atm, its fucking killing me. I love the car but cannot afford to keep her.
    I think mabie a 5 year old max is what I will go for, just cant decide what car. The new fiesta's look mint in white.
    I will do a load of looking around and see what I can get and how much insurance is on them.
    I would like a nice car but I cant afford to pay more than 1500 to insure it so im gunna be looking at prices tonight.

Thanks

21... New car? Worried about insurance?
    Mate, if you're worried about the cost of insuring it, is that not a sign that maybe you can't afford it?

Don't mean to sound harsh or anything but if I were you I would consider getting a second hand runner with a FSH.
    Paying a couple of hundred pounds a month on a HP car as well as insurance is gonna hit the bank hard.
    At least with a cheap runner, it's yours, no one can take it if your finances were to become affected for any reason in this unstable economic climate of ours.

Since I passed my test a few years back, I've been progressing from one second hand car to another, gradually getting better and better ones.
    Now I own a reasonable 2.0 litre 206HDI DT, cheap to insure with no NCDs either and to put things into perspective, a similar capacity engined car in petrol would cost me twice and even three times as much to insure.

I currently pay £800 approx per year TPFT.
    When I did have my NCD I was paying about £650 per year.

Fully comp for me is a killer on any car higher than a 1.0 LOL
    I can't be doing with small engined cars.. Too many muppets on the roads doing silly things so you need a bit of power behind you just to get out of the way and avoid a prang at times.
    Last edited by TheGreenMachine; 04-05-11 at 10:30 AM.

-----------------------------GROW DIARIES----------------------------
    |

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast