Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Homebrew/Wine Making Thread

Tiles Of The Simpsons Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,237 Times

Default The Homebrew/Wine Making Thread

Ok, A fair few guys have asked for a beer/wine making sticky thread so at long last here it is.

The thread is to discuss all aspects of home brewing and wine making, swop recipes, give tips/advice on equipment or just chat about your brewing experiencies.

Lets keep this thread 'on topic' please guys and no linking to other brewing forums.

Enjoy.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Grub For This Useful Post:

Amber Reef (14-11-12), Bostin (09-01-14), Fieldy (14-04-13), Ganesha (16-05-11), GEORGE (25-02-20), Muller (14-05-11), Ragman (13-05-11), Stirruphead (19-11-12), TheGreenMachine (14-05-11), TIKTOK (10-05-12), timothio (15-05-11), up2nogood (13-05-11), urban grower (10-05-12), WhoWhereWhenWhatWhy (25-11-12)

Yeti Sports Pentathlon Champion! Apples Champion! Chicken Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,828 Times

I haven't made beer for about 20 years..I used to love it..First time I used too much sugar and the tops kept flying off in the attic..

Looking for New Pastures

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to up2nogood For This Useful Post:

FordCapri (26-08-11), GEORGE (25-02-20), Grub (13-05-11), jumpon (02-11-12), PC Grower (06-05-12), urban grower (10-05-12)

Thanks

My old man used to always have a bucket or two of beer on the go. I remember when I was a kid sneaking into the pantry, nicking a couple of bottles of his home brew and selling them at the youth club for 10p a bottle.. (10p was a good price in those days). lol.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grub For This Useful Post:

Bostin (09-01-14), Fieldy (14-04-13), GEORGE (25-02-20)

Thanks

YAY, good on ya Grub and Rags for allowing it of course!

Better stick this place down as a resource too then.
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...php?groupid=76

Brew talk... Wooooo Hooo!

-----------------------------GROW DIARIES----------------------------
    |

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGreenMachine For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-02-20), Grub (14-05-11)

Thanks

Ok, I'm after some advice...

I'm giving wine a go again. I've only tried making it two or 3 times in the past and every time was a disaster.

My plan is to make a beer bucket full (40 litres).... I'm gonna try spuds I think as i've heard they make good, strong wine...?
    My main questions are; How many pounds of spuds will I need to make 40L... also how much sugar do I add to make 'medium' sweet wine?
    I have a sachet of brewing yeast that says it will be fine for upto 40L.... will the one be ok or should I use two?

Up2nogood kindly found this guide... I've added a few questions next to each step.

Step 1 – Gather all ingredients and equipment together

* Large pan
    * 1 gallon glass jug - I'll need 5 of these to make 40L?
    * Airlock device
    * Funnel
    * 2-3 lbs of honey (or alternate sugar source, molasses, sugar, fructose) - So for 5 gallons I'll need to use around 12lb of sugar?
    * 1-3 lbs of fruit (more you add, the stronger the flavor) - Again, for 5 gallons I'll need 10lb of spuds?
    * Water
    * Yeast
    * Pectic Enyzme (1 tsp) ??
    * Yeast Nutrient (3/4 tsp) - What is this exactly?

Step 2 – Sterilize all equipment

Step 3 – Prepare yeast – Add yeast, yeast nutrient, and 1-tablespoon sugar source to 1 cup of water. Mix well, and set aside.

Step 4 – Turn the fruit into puree - I assume I'll need to boil the spuds until soft first?

Step 5 – Add fruit and honey to the large pan, add water as needed. Heat to a low boil and dissolve honey. Remove from heat.

Step 6 – Strain fruit and honey mixture into the gallon glass jug. Add additional water if needed.

Step 7 – Add pectic enzyme to jug

Step 8 – Cover jug with airlock device and allow to cool to between 60 and 70 farenhiedt

Step 9 – Add yeast mixture - So I don't add any yeast until the potato/sugar slop is already in the demi-johns?

Step 10 – Replace airlock, sit back, and watch.

Step 11 – Allow to ferment for approximately 1 month. After 1 month, siphon liquid into a secondary container, leaving behind the dregs.

Step 12 – Top off with water and replace airlock. Allow to ferment until complete. (two months)

Step 13 – Siphon into bottles, cork, and let sit for 6 months to a year.

Can I basically start the wine off in the beer bucket for the first month and then transfer it into demi-johns to finish off, or do I need to use the demi-johns from the start as advised above?

Also, it mentions nothing about Campden tablets in the guide... are they not essential then?

Cheers.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grub For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-02-20), yahdabbro (16-07-14)

Thanks

Hi mate,

I'll attempt to answer what I can as best I can but I'm really a novice also lol.
    Excuse the spurious way I've laid out my answers but I just sort of picked through the post to answer what I could. Ordinarily, I'd make more of an effort but I've got some work to do before I go out tonight

1 Gallon is approx 5 litres, so to make 40 litres will require approx x8 1 gallon jugs worth.

Commercial Wine or beer intitally starts in fermenters or vats so I can't see why you can't start it off in fermenters and then rack off into demijohns mate. Just make sure your fermenter has an airlock of some sort or a means for the CO2 to escape without air getting in.

1 packet of yeast should be plenty mate. It breeds and multiplies in the fermenter anyway so even a few healthy grains would eventually multiply enough to start active fermentation.

With regards to the end result, ie sweetness, I think this depends on the starting gravity. Try and find a recipe for sweet wine and see what the starting gravity for it is and try and get your juice to around that point. If you haven't got one, get a hydrometer mate. They're only a few quid for a basic one and they'll help you get your starting base right and will also help to tell when its fermented to your liking.

Yeast nutrient mate is a supliament food to help the yeast thrive and Campden tablets are used to stabilise the wine and to sterilise the equipment.
    Alternatively you can buy sodium metabisulphate powder for sterilising.

Hope that helps mate.
    Sorry I can't go in to more detials at this point but time is my enemy today

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheGreenMachine For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-02-20), Grub (14-05-11), yahdabbro (16-07-14)

Thanks

Great stuff, cheers. No probs mate, just reply as/when you can

I'm off to mooch around the shed to see what bits I still have, and what I need to get. I have the bucket so I can at least make a start.
    I reckon cutting a small hole in the lid of the bucket just big enough for a rubber bung/airlock should be ok..?

I'm also thinking about completely doing without the demijohns and syphoning the 'mash' (I think that's what it's called), out of one bucket into one the same size after a month or so, then letting it finish off in the second bucket before bottling.... Is this a possibility?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Grub For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-02-20)

Yeti Sports Pentathlon Champion! Apples Champion! Chicken Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,828 Times

glad thegreenmachine is helping you grub..are yuo going to use a mixture of veg and fruit? mmmm

16. The Following User Says Thank You to up2nogood For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-02-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by up2nogood View Post
    glad thegreenmachine is helping you grub..are yuo going to use a mixture of veg and fruit? mmmm
    Just potatoes I was thinking mate. Then in a couple of months time I'll pick all the berries off this big bush that it was decided on here were black/red currants, and give them a whirl.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Grub For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,223 Times

Cheers for this thread Grub!! Let me throw this one into the FV if I may...

Turbo Cider

Some people may have heard of Turbo Cider (TC), the original recipe is just apple juice, sugar and yeast, real prison hooch stuff, called "Turbo" 'cos in optimal conditions it can be drunk in a week to 10 days. But this version comes courtesy of a guy called Dreadskin who is a brewing legend. If its got sugar in it, Dreadskin will make booze from it. He taught me everything I know! This is a much more refined TC that should be brewed slowly and bottle conditioned for as long as possible to bring out the flavour.

Equipment: (all to be sterilised before use)

Saucepan
    Mug
    Cheese grater
    Veg peeler
    Sharp knife
    Teaspoon
    Bigger spoon
    Funnel
    Airlock
    Bung
    Demijohn (a 5 litre plastic water bottle works wonders, with a hole drilled in the lid for the bung)
    Syphon tube

Ingredients:

5 litres cheap apple juice (must be "from concentrate", not "juice drink", there's a huge difference)
    200g sugar
    1 bramley (cooking) apple
    1 mug of very strong tea (4 bags)
    1 teaspoon dried breadmakers yeast

Method:

Sterilise everything before use. As you should always do anyway.

Make a mug of tea, real strong with 4 tea bags, and let it go cold with bags in while you do everything else. This will go into your TC. Sounds crazy, but it adds much needed tannin (thats the stuff that stains the cup brown). You could add powdered crap, but why not just use tea? Does the same job for next to nothing.

Put your saucepan on some scales and zero them. Weigh out 200g sugar and add enough apple juice to dissolve it when stirred with the bigger spoon over a low heat. You dont wanna boil it, just dissolve the sugar.

Add 2 litres of cold apple juice to your demijohn. Then add the warm apple juice / sugar mixture.

Peel and cut the apple, grate into the now empty saucepan and stuff it into the demijohn. Not only will the apple provide added flavour, the yeast will love the really acidic juice of bramleys. (water bottles also have a larger opening making them easier to stuff stuff into). The apple will float on top of the apple juice in a nasty looking thick carpet.

Squeeze the last bit of life out of the tea bags and bin them, pour the tea into the demijohn. Top up the demijohn with apple juice until the carpet of apple reaches a couple of inches from the top (to allow for bubbling...). This will probably have used about 4 litres of apple juice.

Let it rest to room temperature, then pitch your yeast and give it a good mix. Stick in the bung and airlock, leave it in a warmish room, and wait... Dont be put off by the nasty smell that could be eminating from your demijohn as the mixture ferments, this smell bears no resemblance to the taste of the finished TC. If you do it right that is...

Once its finished bubbling after about a week to 10 days (but could be 2 weeks or more in colder conditions), you could rack it off and drink it. Or you could rack it off into another demijohn (taking as much care as you can not to disturb or syphon up too much grated apple) and top it up with the remaining litre of apple juice up to about an inch from the top, then replace the airlock and let it ferment again.

Now its finished its 2nd fermentation, rack it off again into another demijohn and top up with more apple juice to the brim. This apple juice acts as a primer for when you bottle so if you want a flat cider, dont add the apple juice. Syphon from the demijohn into bottles. If you want a bit more sparkle you can add a bit more sugar at this stage. If you like your TC slightly sweeter you could also add a saccharin sweetner tablet at this stage, these a re non fermentable so actually sweeten rather than turn to alcohol. Seal the bottles and leave them for 1 - 2 weeks at room temperature, then transfer to somewhere cool and dark to condition for as long as you can hold out.

If you want a stronger TC (this one works out around thwe 5% mark I think, never been arsed to measure the OG and FG!) just add more sugar, but remember you're using bread yeast which isnt hugely alcohol tolerant so there is a limit.

One great thing about TC is that once you have mastered the basic making, you can alter the recipe by adding different fermentables. I've had success with things like peaches (stick a couple of tins of peaches in the blender with a bit of apple juice, add the resulting mush to the demijohn) and blackberries (same method as peaches, just with fresh blackberries rather than tinned), but also had complete failures like my Christmas TC, made with a couple of jars of mincemeat blended and stuck in the demijohn. Tasted hideous. Or you could just lose the apple juice altogether. I've made brews with a mixture of cranberry and red grape juice, with a jar of sour cherries mashed up in it too. Lovely stuff! Or wine made out of jars of jam melted in hot water... Remember - if its got sugar in it, it can be fermented!! The supermarket is your oyster!

So thats about it I think, hope I havent left anthing out, dont be nervous just give it a try!!

Happy brewing!

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to timothio For This Useful Post:

azza (09-06-12), GEORGE (25-02-20), Grub (15-05-11), lostorstolen (16-10-16), Mr Swilly (06-05-12), urban grower (10-05-12)

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast