Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inside the Trichome - from Cannabis Culture Magazine

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,916 Times

Brilliant read, probably the best I've read about trichomes. I'm a bit confused about the sativas tho'. I'm just about to crop some 95% sat dom hybirds and believed you don't let the trichomes go to amber cos you don't want a couch lock effect or you would have grown an indica and cropped it weeks ago. I've read recently that some sativa's trichomes don't turn amber, they just get cloudy and deteriorate.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TIKTOK For This Useful Post:

Mr Bloom (27-02-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TIKTOK View Post
    I've read recently that some sativa's trichomes don't turn amber, they just get cloudy and deteriorate.

Any idea where you read that TT? I've said that before only to be shot down by the Sativa Mafia (not here obviously), had a sativa dom plant that just didn't want to amber, went cloudy then the trichs started to sort of shrink so I chopped her. Bloody lovely she was but hardly an amber trich in sight. Could have been the strain I guess as I've not grown too many sativas
    Even a fish knows it won't get caught if it keeps its mouth shut !! What should I do with these used HPS's? Chuck em at people who need to lighten the fuck up

FEW PICS OF MY OLD STUFF
    CURRENT GROW
    COCO BUDDIES

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Doublebong View Post
    Any idea where you read that TT? I've said that before only to be shot down by the Sativa Mafia (not here obviously), had a sativa dom plant that just didn't want to amber, went cloudy then the trichs started to sort of shrink so I chopped her. Bloody lovely she was but hardly an amber trich in sight. Could have been the strain I guess as I've not grown too many sativas
    Sorry Mrs Doublebong I cant remember now but I'll check me history cos it was only yesterday I read it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TIKTOK For This Useful Post:

Mrs Doublebong (27-02-12)

Thanks

Cant find it but it was on another forum so I wouldn't be able to link you without breaking the rules. It's all strain/pheno dependent imo. If you wait for amber trichomes you know for sure that the plant has reached it's peak because it's dying and the thc is deteriorating. I've got sativas finishing now and some have had milky trichs for a while and another is still putting out new pistils every day and still has clear trichs even tho' they were clones from the same mother and have grown up together.

A few years ago I grew some white widow and had to chop them early while all trichs were still clear. I was told it would give me a headache and I should have waited blah blah so I didn't bother with it, just kept it in jars in the shed for four months. When I did smoke smoke some it melted my brain, it was one of the best smokes I'd ever had and I had three ounces to blaze The same happened with some Northern Soul I grew (Northern Lights x Skunk #1), I didn't like the taste or high very much so left it for a few months and it was an epic smoke.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TIKTOK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cheers for looking TT, appreciate you spending the time, I think I would have found it an interesting read

Its wierd how clones from the same mother grown under the same conditions can still vary. I did a SOG grow a while back and the clones were more or less the same size when put into flower but the difference in yield was quite a lot considering they were all small. From 10g to 18g per plant which doesn't sound a lot but thats 80% difference between smallest and largest.

Thanks for sharing the info on the early chopped WW, I was always under the impression that clear trichs = headache. Sounds like the cure made a difference. I wonder if the trichs continued to mature or the headache theory is a myth? Either way you got a bloody good smoke by the sounds of it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Doublebong For This Useful Post:

TIKTOK (27-02-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,011 Times

Tis true - certain strains don't actually go amber at the peak of potency, they go amber as the THC in the trichome is deteriorating, meaning you've over-shot your window.
    I'll try to find some info...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Bloom For This Useful Post:

Mrs Doublebong (27-02-12), TIKTOK (27-02-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,011 Times

I think I'll be going round all day searching the electrical interwebs lol, but the general consensus IMO is that Sativas in general, of course it will vary slightly from strain to strain, just don't need to go to the rich, amber stage to give you the heavy buzz that an Indica can give at a much earlier stage (clear/cloudy), but again, from strain to strain that will vary.
    My rule of thumb is if it's an Indica I chop at milky, if it's a Sativa I chop at 50/50 cloudy/amber. That's because a Sativa (when at peak harvest) will always be a much heavier, body stone (I don't dig that tbh) so I chop a little earlier.
    But at the end of the day it's all personal preference...and that's why I like to chop off a little sample now and again over the last few weeks of flowering to get a taster of things to come.
    If you stick to similar strains and types you'll get used to what's best for you.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Bloom For This Useful Post:

Mrs Doublebong (27-02-12), TIKTOK (27-02-12)

Thanks

I've been taking testers from the sats for a couple of weeks now and got to admit it's been a bit headachy but I haven't had a sample since the trichs turned milky, maybe later I think the headache theory is a goodun but if the buds are cured properly you still get a good smoke in my experience

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TIKTOK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sounds like the cure did the trick then. Handy to know, if I ever get a hermie (Mrs D touches wood...tree wood not man wood lol) I'll be chopping and curing instead of making bubblehash in the future

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Doublebong For This Useful Post:

Mr Bloom (27-02-12), TIKTOK (27-02-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Doublebong View Post
    Sounds like the cure did the trick then. Handy to know, if I ever get a hermie (Mrs D touches wood...tree wood not man wood lol) I'll be chopping and curing instead of making bubblehash in the future
    I pulled a Strawberry Diesel hermie out my groom last summer and put it in the shed. It dried quick in the shed and I put the bud in an old fishing reel box and forgot about it. I found it again when I had no weed (I love my shed) and it was a nice smoke and only had one seed in it. I grew the seed under a cfl, it's just finishing now and hasn't hermied. The pic below was just taken last night. So good things can come from a hermie

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TIKTOK For This Useful Post:

Mr Bloom (27-02-12), Mrs Doublebong (27-02-12), teutonic (28-02-12)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast