Thread: Death is more a process than an event

Thanks

Thumbs up Death is more a process than an event

In mature cannabis plants, the onset of senescence occurs before the plant is harvested. When the plant is harvested, individual cells do not die immediately. Cellular metabolism continues for some time; starches and sugars are broken down to CO2, water, and energy. Most of the weight reduction in drying bud is far and away due to water loss from the vasculature and cytosol, but some loss also occurs from breakdown of sugars and subsequent gassing off of water vapor and CO2. Cell death eventually occurs, either as a result of apoptosis, or when respiration can no longer proceed because of lack of one (or more) of the inputs (sugar, water, O2). Supplying exogenous sugar (and water) post-harvest may allow cells to live longer than they would ordinarily, but I'd want to see some controlled tests before committing to that idea.

Even after cell death, biochemical reactions still continue well into the curing process, but reactions that are catalyzed by enzymes grind to a halt as enzymes break down and are not repaired or replaced. Synthesis of cannabinoids is one of the processes that stops after cell death. Synthesis of terpenoids is one of the processes that continues well into curing. Breakdown of THC to CBN is another process that does not require enzymes and continues indefinitely.

One of the processes that occurs in plants from the onset of senescence is that chlorophyll gets broken down. Chloroform is not part of that pathway (see attached diagram). In a nutshell, chlorophyll gets enzymatically broken down to primary fluorescent chlorophyll catabolites (pFCCs), which in turn get non-enzymatically broken down to colourless non-fluorescent chlorophyll catabolites (NCCs), which get stored in cell vacuoles, and may eventually be oxidized. Because the first phase of this process requires enzymes, it is one of the processes that stops after cell death occurs. A slow drying process keeps cells alive longer and allows more chlorophyll to be broken down, which is why slow-dried cannabis tastes better than quick-dried cannabis, and rehydrating bud that was dried too quickly does nothing to improve the flavour.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Toker View Post
    Excellent post,

And clearly identifies why you should not dry your budz too quickly.

Good find M8.
    Cheers MT mate, i do like to share any info i come across or find deep inside my pc i forgot about.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,437 Times

Interesting piece, thx brother
    Why we all should be growing outdoors:

"... it is scientifically proven the best marijuana is grown under the sun. There is no indoor light that can replicate the sun light, the range of cannabinoids and terpene that can develope in the marijuana resin thanks to the sunlight is never achievable on a indoor setting ..."

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,967 Times

i'll be honest and admit i havent got a clue what any of it means apart from the last sentence !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bergkamp View Post
    i'll be honest and admit i havent got a clue what any of it means apart from the last sentence !
    i think we're all in the same boat there mate

sweet post LK

Thanks

I thought the thread title was 'generally speaking' and expected something profound or medically disturbing - but it's information telling me to cure for longer for a better smoke. It's all good stuff though
    O God of earth and altar, bow down and hear our cry,
    our earthly rulers falter, our people drift and die;
    the walls of gold entomb us, the swords of scorn divide,
    take not thy thunder from us, but take away our pride.
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

Good read handy chart as well.
    I have nothing but time man. There it is. TIME. Something everyone has. Just gotta know how to use it!
    Mixed grow log https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1070814207