Thread: Crossing Autos with Regular Strains

Thanks

Default Crossing Autos with Regular Strains

What would happen if you cross a 60 day auto flower like Automaria with a regular strain like Durban Poison?

Would it make a difference if you use pollen from the auto to pollinate the Durban, or to use the pollen from the Automaria to pollinate the Durban?

Would you get a 90 day autoflower? Or just an earlier finishing plant?

Tiles Of The Simpsons Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,237 Times

The result will be regular seeds with a small chance of becoming Auto's.
    A lot of back-crossing is needed to successfully gain the auto-flowering trait.

I tried to do just that, but gave it up as a bad job. You need a lot of time and patience.

Thanks

Hmmmm? I thought typically when breeding you would get some kind of combination of traits, although maybe not uniform for all the seeds, you should get a mixture of traits?

Tiles Of The Simpsons Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,237 Times

Yes mate, they will be very unstable. Some will stay short, some tall, some will flower early, some won't.
    Not worth all the hassle unless you are serious about the project and do a lot of back-crossing to stabilise the traits you are looking for.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Grub For This Useful Post:

needsmust (11-06-11)

Hillbilly Guest

It all depends what is Dominate and what's recessive, and then there's other factors that's not well understood still. If auto is a simple recessive it be F2's or Bx1 before you get any autos, and then not in real good %.

Boxteroid Champion! Crazy Cars Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,305 Times

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    Yes mate, they will be very unstable. Some will stay short, some tall, some will flower early, some won't.
    Not worth all the hassle unless you are serious about the project and do a lot of back-crossing to stabilise the traits you are looking for.
    Can you explain back crossing for me? Is it when you cross A with B, then seed the resulting Plant C with A or B again to bring out dominant traits?
    The cream rises to the top, regardless of the cow it came from.
    My grows are done in a Stealth Cab 250w CFL

PC Fan to Mains for Dummies

Thanks

It doesn't matter to me if they are unstable. If some finish before others I'm OK with that. I'm gonna give it a whirl!

Hillbilly Guest

Can you explain back crossing for me? Is it when you cross A with B, then seed the resulting Plant C with A or B again to bring out dominant traits?
    You pretty well got it but you can pick the Recessive genes as well with Back crossing till they show up.

Back crossing is breeding back to an original strain, most times it's crossed back to a clone of the mother, but you could use a male or seedlings from one side or the other, to get 3/4's one strain with a Bx1, or if you keep back crossing BX2, Bx3, till you have seeds that are stable, that most seeds you get are like the original plant that was used..

It doesn't matter to me if they are unstable. If some finish before others I'm OK with that. I'm gonna give it a whirl!
    Have fun and do a dairy on it

Thanks

You would have to know what your doing when it comes to breeding - just Imagen ... auto purple haze

Hillbilly Guest

You would have to know what your doing when it comes to breeding - just Imagen ... auto purple haze
    I don't think you "have to know what your doing" but it does help.. but people have been breeding plants and animals for many years with out knowing what there really doing other then breeding for what they like..