Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got Canna coco coir, should I add Hydroton/perlite??

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,721 Times

Default Got Canna coco coir, should I add Hydroton/perlite??

Wa'gwan!!

Just setting up my DS60 tent. Got 4 x 11L pots and a bag of Canna coco coir. I also found some old perlite in my grans shed and I also have a load of hydroton that came with my oxypots.

I've read people saying they mix hydroton with coco. when they say that, do they mix it like they do with perlite or do they just line the bottom inch of the pot with the hydroton balls.

Next question is, can I also add perlite to the coco/hydroton mix. My cuttings have rooted, so I'm gonna stick them in some very small pots with soil which is designed for cuttings and seedlings. So I'm gonna stick them under my CFL on 18/6. From the moment I see they start growing once they've established a root structure I plan to pot up in to coco and start hitting them with the nutrients.

I've never grown in coco before so it's all very new to me. I've done a lot of reading up on growing with coco over the past 8 months but it seems that there's a lot of conflicting info on the net. Some say one thing, others say the opposite. So i'm quite aware a lot of people do things differently.

I'll be feeding with GH flora.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,404 Times

Thats gonna be a tight fit in that size of tent mate,very tight,it's ok for starting plants off,but your gonna run out of space fast if you go for any kinda veg period!

Ive always mixed coco with hydroton,but have started just using hydroton for the bottom of the pots with my current veggers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

Denzil (29-06-11)

Thanks

Cheers mate. Yes it is gonna be a tight fit. I plant to LST around the pot, then top them once they have grown around the whole square of the pot. Then induce flowering. Or I might just give them a week veg then flower.

Can I ask, what is the reason for laying hydroton just at the bottom. I always imagined the nute mix would drain much faster, meaning it may dry out quicker.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,108 Times

By putting an inch or so layer of Hydroton at the bottom of the pots it will allow more aeration for the roots. I've tried it with and without and tbh aslong as you have sufficient drainage from your pots theres no difference in end results. Out of habit I still use it but its not a must. Remember to give your Hydroton a quick wash before you use it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cocogrower For This Useful Post:

Denzil (30-06-11)

Thanks

Like cocogrower above said mate.

I stopped mixing perlite/hydroton through the coco so it stays moist longer,it already allows plenty of air to the root system,at least you already know that its gonna be tight,and seem ready for it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

Denzil (30-06-11)

Thanks

Thanks guys. I will line the bottom with hydroton then.

When you hand water them, how much water mix do you give them, do you water until there's a certain amount of run off or do you give them a specfic amount of feed (like 1L per plant for example) or until the medium is nicely moistened.

How bad is it if they're sitting in the run off a bit cos I have one of those 60cm x 60cm trays that fit the the tent rather than having individual plant trays.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,108 Times

Water till 10-20% runoff fella, Let them sit in the runoff for ~1 hour, If they havnt sucked it up by then, Remove it and discard it.

Could be a bit awkward for you on a tray like that, Have a look for a Large (100ml+) scringe to suck the excess water up, Greens sell them for about £2.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cocogrower For This Useful Post:

Denzil (30-06-11)

Thanks

From what Ive read 200ml runoff min,Ive never done that though!

In veg I just make up a couple of 2ltr bottles and pour the lot through the girls twice week,until it looks like they could use more.
    In flower,every 2days each girl gets a 2ltr bottle of water/feed there is some runoff,to be honest its maybe 100-200ml(Ive never measured it,checked it or anything other than poured it out!)
    If using one large tray,simply find something about 1/2" that you can sit each pot on,this saves them sitting in the runoff,it doesn't matter so much in veg(I leave any runoff in the tray same idea as yourself!),in flower everything seems to be different sizes(doing 6 different strains lol)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

Denzil (30-06-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,051 Times

Since u've got both i'd just put a lining of hydroton at the bottom and a small amount (15% or less) perlite in with the coco.

After all - you DO want to be growing in coco with a small amount of aeration from perlite/clay (as opposed to too much of this stuff and not enough coco - the coco is the better medium by 100x i guarantee it).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Azerbanphal For This Useful Post:

Denzil (30-06-11)

Thanks

Excellent input guys, very much appreciated. I've got one of those big syringes from greens and also got a siphon which could also be used. I'll do what you guys have all said. I was gonna add some vermiculite as well for water retention but thought fuck it, I'll water every day instead.

Just out of interest... how do you compare it to growing with soil?

I'm impressed with the coco grows I have seen which is why I chose it over soil and the fact I can treat it more like 'dro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast