Thread: Wiring a UK two terminal boyonet light fitting

Thanks

Question Wiring a UK two terminal boyonet light fitting

I'm wiring my own plugs, and while Google is useful for most things (i.e. checking the new UK wiring diagrams) I am a bit confused with a plastic light fitting I have bought for an 11 watt consumption fluorescent bulb.

It's actually designed for a lamp and has a simple flip switch circuit breaker. That isn't a problem. I'm just wondering how I connect the Neutral and Live wires since it isn't clear.

No Earth is need. I just have two unmarked copper terminals with screw fasteners.

Also, the plugs has a 5 amp fuse. Is this too high for a bulb that only uses 11 watts?

Thanks

It shouldn't matter which goes in which with a 240vAC (household) voltage.
    Usually red is L and black is N but just try it either way it won't do any harm as far as I can see it will only change the direction of the current passing through the lamp.
    Oh, and I'd be tempted to stick a 3A fuse in there although I can't see a problem using 5A, if it's gonna blow it's usually down to a dead short or summat in which case any fuse will blow lol.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Beezerk For This Useful Post:

dazza (12-07-11)

Thanks

thanks, there were no explosions. i can save a fortune making my own lamps like this. now for some fl tubes..

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,660 Times

ac is alternating current so the direction of the current will change periodically so it can be wired either way round.
    if you're retired or you ain't got a job and you ain't growing and smoking weed ,i don't know what the fuck you are doing!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wert For This Useful Post:

dazza (12-07-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,743 Times

BC connectors are not polorised so it doesn't matter which way you connect the live/neutral wires - if you get the ones with switxches on (like for standard lamps) you connect the live wire to the terminal that's switched.

ES connectors - I wire the live to the center connection and neutral to the outer threaded section.