Thread: Some different Hydro Set-ups

Thanks

Default Some different Hydro Set-ups

Well i have been wanting to give hydroponics a go sometime and i am sure there are others on here to so i thought i would make a thread on the different systems for beginners like myself.

Bubbler System

This is the simplest of them all. You may design the system anyway you like. What is important is that (1) the plant is securely held but not too tightly, (2) the roots are dangling into the solution, (3) some part of the upper portion roots are exposed to the air. You may also punch a small hole on the cover to insert a tube to blow air into the solution periodically. Or simply add an Air stone and Small Submersable pump

Absorbent Method

The Absorbent hydroponic system consists of a pot that holds the growing medium and a vessel that contains the nutrient solution. The nutrient solution is supplied to the plant by means of capillary action made possible through a wick. When assembling a system, choose a wick material that is highly absorbent and will not disintegrate easily. The medium must also be able to retain the solution well.

Manual flood & Drain method

If you operate on a small budget, this is the system for you. All you need is a suitable bucket, a plastic tray or box, hose, and hose fittings. If you prefer to use a wooden box, you'll need to line it with plastic to make it water proof. Another option is to seal off the joints with epoxy or a sealant. The hose fittings are glued to the box and the bucket. For a trial run, fill the box with water to the desired level. Then drain it into the bucket just to see how much solution is needed. With the medium in place you will probably need about half the volume of solution noted earlier. If your medium holds the solution well you'll need to flood only once or twice a day. If the medium drains out fast, you'll need to flood more frequently. See to it that the medium doesn't dry out.

Self feeding system

The self operating pot functions without any electricity. It is similar to the automatic water dispenser for birds and poultry. It consists of a bottle and a tray. The bottle with the solution is positioned upside-down in the tray. (See drawing) The solution flows from the bottle into the tray and when the correct level is attained it stops. As the plant takes up the solution the level drops and the flow starts again until the correct level is reached. The secret there is a 5 mm. hole located on the neck of the bottle that regulates the solution flow. For some bottles a support may be necessary.

Drip system

The drip system works well with planters of different sizes. For a small number of small-size planters, the recirculating system is suitable. otherwise, the "open system", where the solution is not recirculated, may be more practical. The drip system is also very popular, mainly because it imitates the normal planting set-up. The method is suitable for large plants. Since the planters are large, more floor space will be required. The only items that will require a large outlay are the timer and the submersible pump. If you will notice, the feed tubes are positioned above the rest of the system. In this case consider getting a submersible pump that has a good lift. It must be able to push the solution high enough.

Column Aeroponics System

The example shown below is an aeroponic system, a close relative of hydroponics. The nutrient solution is sprinkled or sprayed to the roots inside the 4 in. PVC pipe. The main advantage of the system is that it takes very little space. Since the roots are not immersed in the solution it gets a lot of oxygen from the air. For as long as the spray or sprinkler is on the plants will do well.

The Bag hydro system

The bag hydroponics system consists of a sack suspended from a stable and sturdy support. The nutrient solution is fed from the top by means of a drip arrangement. The system is ideal for a small space.

Well I hope this helps someone

Cheers

Lewy

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,783 Times

Smile

Great post Lewy, Im sure it will be very usefull

Thanks

really good post, nice one

Thanks

Cheers lads

cut and paste is your friend

Thanks

great post m8, i am interested in doing this at 1 point, maybe after ive had a few grows under the belt i would like to try the bubbler method, nice one m8!!

Thanks

superb post mate, i may well want to try the bubbler system on my next one.

Thanks

Cool

Great post mate, this should help out alot of people.