Thread: A question of seeds.

Thanks

Default A question of seeds.

Being a novice grower only on my second grow i had a couple of questions about seeds.Now i just had my first joint of the day so sorry if the questions aren't worded as well as id like them to be.
    First-would it be possible to pollinate a female auto with a normal male plant with the intention of harvesting seeds from it and what genetic properties would the offspring plants have e.g would the plant that is a mix of the female auto and a regular male have the auto characteristics such as being able to complete its life cycle with an 18/6 light schedule.
    Secondly can you gain your own seeds from this kind of practice with whatever plants you choose and is it worthwhile or are you better off just ordering your seeds.
    Lastly is there a way of being able to facilitate harvesting your own seeds with auto characteristics?(haven't exactly seen any male autos about)
    Sorry if some of this sounds stupid but just think it would be handy being able to self supply seeds if possible.Cheers everyone.
    SlimSkin

Tiles Of The Simpsons Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,237 Times

Crossing auto's with regular strains will result in a mix up of characteristics mate. Some seeds will be regular, some will carry the auto trait and some will be things in-between. To get 100% auto seeds you will need to back-cross several times.
    It's not an easy task and is very time consuming... I tried it but gave it up as a bad job.
    If you want to create your own Auto's your best bet is to buy a pack of 10 Auto seeds (non-feminised) and breed from those. One female can produce 100's of seeds, so you will only need to breed once to set you up in seeds for a year or two.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grub For This Useful Post:

SlimSkin (18-08-11)

Thanks

A YEAR OR TWO!?Fuck me that would last me longer than that lol.Thanks for that Grub.It's all interesting stuff and usefull and may try that in a few grows time with a bit more experience under me belt.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SlimSkin For This Useful Post:

Grub (18-08-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,305 Times

Grub is right in what he says, especially about the back crossing several times.
    You have to do this with plants that carry the particular genetic traits you are after.

I too tried it but gave up after several back crosses when I ended up somehow with 100% hermie genetics.

This is why I am responding, my mistake was in using a feminised seed for one of the grandmothers. Big mistake so the lesson is, if you do try, do not use femmed seeds to start with, just regulars.

Peace w

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody J For This Useful Post:

SlimSkin (19-08-11)