Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: root riot vs rockwool vs jiffy vs ??

Thanks

Would anyone suggest soaking and paper towel method before using the jiffy pellets?🤔

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dangerscouse For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 28,825 Times

Quote Originally Posted by dangerscouse View Post
    Would anyone suggest soaking and paper towel method before using the jiffy pellets?🤔

You can do it. Or pop straight into the pellet. I've done both. Your call. I prefer paper towel method and then into the medium.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

dangerscouse (01-07-18), GEORGE (01-07-18), MonsterEnergy (01-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,354 Times

jiffy`s all day bach once upon a time i didnt like the jiffy................now i love em.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Beefheart For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-07-18), WhIpLaSh (01-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00b_gr0wer View Post
    You can do it. Or pop straight into the pellet. I've done both. Your call. I prefer paper towel method and then into the medium.
    Cheers mate

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dangerscouse For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (15-02-19), GEORGE (01-07-18), WhIpLaSh (01-07-18)

Thanks

Starting seeds with NO medium

I've been looking into how to start my seeds for an RDWC system. I've been trying to workout why I need to use Riots, Jiffy etc, just seems a bit odd, it's another thing that could go wrong, or cause problems and it's another thing to buy and store blah blah blah.

So I was wondering if it was possible to start your seedlings in no medium - sounds bonkers but I've just found a piece online in Grozine Digital Hydroponics Magazine, issue 10, page 44-45 (Aeroponic propagation) which talks about all the methods and runs a side by side test for all of the standard techniques and proves my thinking

The idea is to start seeds in the standard paper towel method, once they crack (I'd then leave them just a little longer to let the root start growing) then transplant them into a cloning collar (the right way up LOL) with the usual net pot and clay pebbles and (in my case) a small DWC, then 'pot up' into the FULL RDWC and lights once they start growing.

What do you think, madness or the future?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daffyduck For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (15-02-19), the green meanie (16-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,133 Times

The future. I’ve done some clones and seeds in fishtank sponges,and got plants bedded in loft insulation in my nft. Times have been hard lol but it’s worked
    Pax,o fortunatos nimium,sua si bona norint,agricolas.
    Omnium artium medicina nobilissima est.

Thanks

Hi Hardcore, yea it was a good article. The guy ended by saying that the rockwool was the best, but he liked the mediumless solution because he could then plant up into anything.

I think for me because I'm only doing 2 to 4 seeds at a time doing mediumless is the answer.

1xbucket and lid (small)
    4xnet pots
    pebbles
    collars
    air pump & lines
    seeds
    water

When I've finished with it, it should all fit inside the bucket ready for next time, no mess, no fuss

I'm going to give it a go next week and I'll post up how it goes here

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7