Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: root riot vs rockwool vs jiffy vs ??

Thanks

I'm another one that germs straight in soil. Tried the paper towel method a couple of times and don't like handling the seed with tap root, and to be honest think it probably is quicker in soil, as already said the root can get strait down into the dirt.

smokin1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rollitsmokeit View Post
    ide also like to know this

Ph water , would be best for 24 hours , then plant seed, No need for heat or light till they crack a smile

mxc Guest

Root riot always works for me..amazing little things. Not a fan of the paper towel method or drowning the seed in water/sanding the seed/sticking it up your japs eye etc...far too complicated.

Wack into a root riot, water, dark warm place for 2-3 days and voila....seed popped and ready to go.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,317 Times

i use coco jiffys (not the compost ones with some nutes in) and add rizotonic for the first week not had a problem since doing it this way , i tried rockwall but lost more than few seedlings they rotted at the base of the stem due to the rwl holding to much water i think
    ive also used sea weed (kelp extract) instead of the rizo and no problems, i will not use rockwall again ,i use the 4 inch jiffy coco cubes now for my nft so much better than rw.
    ive not tried root riot yet but read good things
    i also clone in coco jiffys sat in a 2inch bed of perlite with a 1/2 of water in the container and get good results

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,721 Times

I normally use an aeroponic propogator. But decided to stick some in jiffy pellets as well. After 7 days, the jiffy pellets had several roots showing out the side when only a few in the prop had 1cm long roots, and some were just showing white tips out the stem.

Also I think its better as it gives them a solid medium straight away, whereas the the aero clones have to then be transplanted, and take a day or so to settle into the solid medium like soil, coco, hydroton. Whereas the Jiffy pellet has already done that for you, so all you. All you have to do is bury the jiffy.

Never had success with rockwool cubes for cloning, but that was probably down to me not having the right conditions for propogation.

I also saw the coco pellets on Greens. I think I'll buy the larget pellets. But the minimum you can buy is a box of 100. Thats way too many. But cos I'm growing in coco I reckon these would be good.

I've yet to try root riots, but if I'm getting roots in 5 days with jiffy pellets and aero cloner, I doubt I'm gonna top that with anything so I won't bother trying them.

sqydro Guest

Nice thread am just about to pop seeds for the first time LSD so if i decide to jiffy them or root riot do i just pop the seed in water for 12 hours then direct into the cube? Then when roots stick out into hydroton?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sqydro View Post
    Nice thread am just about to pop seeds for the first time LSD so if i decide to jiffy them or root riot do i just pop the seed in water for 12 hours then direct into the cube? Then when roots stick out into hydroton?
    I stick the the seed straight in the jiffy pellet now. Did 4 with paper towel method, then planted in jiffy pellet when the taproot showed. I put another straight in jiffy pellet out of the packet, no soaking the seed beforehand. And that seed broke the soil the same day as the others that I started in paper towels.

I also think it's better as you don't risk any taproot damage when putting it straight in to the jiffy.

sqydro Guest

Nice one mate and then when i see roots just bang it in clay balls in net pot?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,940 Times

I also get on better with Coco jiffy pellets over peat/soil ones. They dry out a bit quicker. Too much moisture I find to be as bad if not worse than too little.
    Glad to hear a downward vote for aeroponics, was considering trying it out but for the expense, I think I'll just stick with what works fairly well.
    I will try out root riots at some point though, they sound good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sqydro View Post
    Nice one mate and then when i see roots just bang it in clay balls in net pot?
    Yea I that's pretty much it. On some of my cuttings I carefully cut off the net thing that holds it all together but tbh I don't think it's necessary as the roots seemed to grow straight through the netting with ease.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast