Thread: HELP PLEASE need to switch growing medium

Thanks

Default HELP PLEASE need to switch growing medium

I have soom cheese cuttings which are ready to be grown but they are currently in soil, i want to put them into rockwool slabs, how shall i approach this?? do i just break the soil away around the roots and make a hole in the rockwool and plod em in?, and i want to feed the plants via a dripper, do i need to make tunnels in the rockwool slabs to the roots or does the solution go through the rockwool?? soory if this sounds stupid im just confused:S

Thanks

I gather they're stilll small. e.g. under 5 inches.if it was me, I'd turn 'em upside down with your plant in between your fingers,run water thru the root ball and remove the soil, very,very,delicately. You might need to make the hole in the rockwool a bit rounder depending on the size of the roots. Be very careful not to damage the roots. If you need to fill in any gaps in the larger hole to make the stem stable, you can use little torn off bits of the rockwool.
    And NO, there is no need to make channels for water to flow thru in the rockwool, is pretty much like a sponge. Good luck dude!!
    DISCLAIMER: None of these photos are mine, I have many problems and one of them is, trolling the internet for photos and claiming that they are my own!!!!! I am psychotic and crave attention!!!!

Thanks

no matter how carefull you are when washing the root system you will lose root hairs (essential for fluid/nute intake) so your plants will probably go into shock.
    (root hairs are microscopic so you wont see them)
    if you do wash the root ball's and your plants start to go flacid i would suggest a foliar spray or upping the humidity in the grow area.

also use warm water to wash them and remove as much soil as is humanly possible.

i have seen this done commercially on tropical plants using a bin with 3 medium pressure water jets pointing inwards, not very gentile at all. after the washing process the plants were re potted into 3-5mm lecca (clay granules) and placed on a flood table in a high humidity environment. the greenhouse manager said that they have a 95% sucess rate converting established soil culture plants to hydro using this method. he would not divulge what nutes were used in the flood water but i would imagine that it was Phosphorus based.
    Weed w!ll get you through t!mes of no money better than money gets you through t!mes of no Weed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdmomo View Post
    I have soom cheese cuttings which are ready to be grown but they are currently in soil, i want to put them into rockwool slabs, how shall i approach this?? do i just break the soil away around the roots and make a hole in the rockwool and plod em in?, and i want to feed the plants via a dripper, do i need to make tunnels in the rockwool slabs to the roots or does the solution go through the rockwool?? soory if this sounds stupid im just confused:S
    Soil into rockwool works as rockwool has such a wet area full of air its fine.

Just put them onto you slabs and treat as if normal rockwool grow.

However id be banging those girls into a good compost mixture myself

Bom!
    Om Namah Shivaya!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BomShiva View Post
    Soil into rockwool works as rockwool has such a wet area full of air its fine.

Just put them onto you slabs and treat as if normal rockwool grow.

However id be banging those girls into a good compost mixture myself

Bom!
    as bom said put them into the cubes as they are dont wash soil off i do all my clones in jiffy cubes and when rooted they go into 3" rockwool cubes no problems

Thanks

I agree with BomShiva and xxxhazexxx, I start in peat jiffy tabs and then put it into a rockwool cube. What system do you intend to use, NFT, Ebb & flo, or what?
    just seen the date of this post and looks like you've not been back since
    Last edited by whitewidman; 12-11-08 at 11:33 AM. Reason: I'm a knob who dosen't check dates lol

Thanks

He's probably flowering by now lol.

Thanks

Hi mate,

Im pretty in experienced and im not sure this will help, but im sure a fellow forum member will shoot me down in flames if i'm wrong.

Now i had a fewl seedling that i poped that grew weirldy, well the root, and putting it into rockwool was a mare.

I ended up splitting the rockwoolin half, top to bottom, along the natural lines of it.

Placing my seeding/root in as i'd want it to be. Put the other half back on top and used a lil cotton string to bind it, and that worked for me.

Hope that helps

Bom Shiva - Hare Bol

Thanks

just realised this thread is 6 weeks old lol please delete
    Last edited by Dredlock; 13-11-08 at 03:38 PM. Reason: read the thread date :)