Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noobs..... do NOT be tempted by cheap grow tents off auction sites

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,721 Times

Exclamation Noobs..... do NOT be tempted by cheap grow tents off auction sites

I'm just posting this thread up to warn people like myself who get tempted by cheap equipment..

Bought my grow tent off ebay for £49.99 (1.2m x1.2m x 1.8/2m).

I'm on my 3rd grow using it, it's done me proud but it's gotta go, Its really REALLY unstable. It seems to be leaning to one side every now and again, the poles are shite, the connectors are shite, the ones that came with my old canvas wardrobe seem stronger.

Anyway, I was just watering my plants which I take out the tent to do anyway, then I just heard a massive crash. The box of random grow equipment and an old reflector + bulbs which were on top of the tent landed slap bang in the middle of where the plants were laid out for feed and the tent was practically on it's side. 5 plants, 1 month into flower were very nearlly killed just then, that was pure luck on my side.

So seriously, when buying a tent, it's best to fork out on the more pricey tents as they will be worth it in the long run, better reflective material, more light proof, better ventilation holes, more solid as well.

I'm gonna have to find a tempory solution until I've got some spare cash for a new tent, but I know which one I'll be getting. The guy in my local grow store who is taller than me and more stocky than me started doing pull ups on the tent frame with the lights on and the plants in the tent to show me how strong it is. Metal connectors and everything. I was absoloute gobsmacked by it, so I'm gonna have to go for it

I always seem to learn the hard way lol
    Last edited by Denzil; 10-11-11 at 04:10 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Denzil For This Useful Post:

sharktooth (11-11-11), Simba (16-11-11)

Thanks

That was a close call, thank fuck you had then out to water m8.

That really was a stroke of luck man,

new moral m8, never place anything on top of grow tent lol.

good luck with the rset of your grow m8.

Peace
    Disclaimer
    Anything that i post in this forum is purely fictional & to
    be considered as a lie, any picture/images that I post are not captured by myself and
    are available freely on the internet.
    I do not condone or promote the smoking or cultivation of cannabis
    in the UK, but i do beleive in the preservation of the cannabis plant for the use/s
    by man.

Strawberry Cough Diary

4. The Following User Says Thank You to C 2 the J For This Useful Post:

Denzil (10-11-11)

MrMojorising Guest

I'm just about in your situation after bending the top bar,plus the cheap ones have metal poles that rust,not plastic coated.
    I built a box to put my rvk fan in too silence the noisy beast and put it on the top corner but had to lean across the top and the bar bent.
    im taking mine apart and putting the bent one at the bottom once i straighten it.
    the secret jardin mk2 is much better quality that i also have.

trip to homebase to find some plastic tubing\wooden dowl
    http://www.wickes.co.uk/light-hardwo...l/invt/128318/ this could work if you need to replace a pole mate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMojorising For This Useful Post:

Denzil (10-11-11)

Master Poet Guest

The first question I would be asking is, WHY did you have all that crap sitting on top of the tent in the first place if it was unstable?

You should not be storing ANYTHING on top of the tent anyway.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Master Poet For This Useful Post:

Denzil (10-11-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    The first question I would be asking is, WHY did you have all that crap sitting on top of the tent in the first place if it was unstable?

You should not be storing ANYTHING on top of the tent anyway.
    Wanted my room tidy so that's where I put it. It's still on top now lol, can't get it in the loft and nowhere else to put it.

Thanks

Good to know guys, the cheaper ones on ebay do look very tempting, Ive restrained myself until now and am glad

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gbombuk For This Useful Post:

Denzil (10-11-11)

Thanks

Oh well shit happened last night. The plants were out for feeding, but this time the whole tent collasped and the same box landed on my POTM entry plant for next month, she was a beauty. A few of the branches with big colas are broken. Managed to kinda of string them up like puppets on the tent poles when I managed to get it back up. Using my barbell weights to whole one side of the tent down ffs. The Ruck fan came down so hard the cable ripped out so I had to rewire that on top of everything else. Bucket of nute mix was knocked over. Wish I'd listen to Poet and not put the box back on top. The actual tent connecter is broken and the poles slightly bent too. Gonna ahve to ride it out til after crimbo before I get another tent or something. I'm just hoping the plant won't be too stressed out by the injury and will heal it's branches.

I feel I should warn other people ordering from that company. It seems the plants were holding the tent down so from now they're gonna have to stay in the tent while I feed.

Let this be a lesson. Don't buy shit tents and don't store heavy items on top of it!

Master Poet Guest

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Master Poet For This Useful Post:

a13x (21-11-11), alwaystoned_1 (11-11-11), Denzil (11-11-11), MR Grumpy (11-11-11)

In a cramped cottage in a wood sharing with 6 others.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,453 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    A picture says a thousand words, I really did LOL

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MR Grumpy For This Useful Post:

Yeti Sports Pentathlon Champion! Apples Champion! Chicken Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,828 Times

I like using solid grooms like a wardrobe or a closet..much stronger..hard luck fly..I would be punching the wall by now lol

Looking for New Pastures

18. The Following User Says Thank You to up2nogood For This Useful Post:

Denzil (11-11-11)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast