Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clone ONLY strains...

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,208 Times

Default Clone ONLY strains...

So, i've been wondering...

There are strains out there that I KNOW were clone only as the mothers were special phenos of other plants that have been held on to from certain growers who then released cuts of said plants. One in particular out here that i'm aware of and is one of my alltime favorite strains is Albert Walker. I heard that the original Cheese was a clone ony strain from the UK as well. My issue is with people like GHS that have Trainwreak seeds for sale that i know for fact was a clone only strain out of Arcadia California...so how are they selling seeds in Amsterdam with the same name? I guess i'd like to just see a list of the accepted strains that are clone only, and a recognition that the seeds sold with such names are just ripoffs...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tjf8070 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,660 Times

not just clone only strains............have a think about all the different seed sellers that grow a strain they do not hold the original mum and dad for.white widow being one.
    if you're retired or you ain't got a job and you ain't growing and smoking weed ,i don't know what the fuck you are doing!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wert For This Useful Post:

RastaMouse22 (27-05-13), tjf8070 (20-11-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,940 Times

It all depends on what happens on the breeding side.
    UK (Exodus) Cheese was clone only and now available in seed form with Cheese #1 by Kaliman. This was a female cheese clone that had a full sexual reversal and ended up male, he was then crossed with a female cheese.

So now shes available as seed

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Up_in_smoke For This Useful Post:

tjf8070 (20-11-11)

Thanks

it is not as simple as that .
    you would have to back cross several times to stabilise any traits that were heterozygous and i presume the cheese smell is one otherwise it would be more common in skunk no1.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wert For This Useful Post:

Claymorrow (28-05-13), tjf8070 (20-11-11)

Thanks

Not that I really know anything about breeding so call me dick for using this logic but, doesn't the breeder of an original pheno use a male that came from the same plant as a clone but ended up as a male?

I know that it is possible to end up with a male from a female plant through the cloning process so I would of thought that using a bit of patience and waiting for that male would allow you to get seed that way.

As I say, I know nothing of breeding and I can only guess at the processes involved in getting seed from a plant which is originally a clone only female.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DKD For This Useful Post:

tjf8070 (20-11-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darknightd View Post
    Not that I really know anything about breeding so call me dick for using this logic but, doesn't the breeder of an original pheno use a male that came from the same plant as a clone but ended up as a male?

I know that it is possible to end up with a male from a female plant through the cloning process so I would of thought that using a bit of patience and waiting for that male would allow you to get seed that way.

As I say, I know nothing of breeding and I can only guess at the processes involved in getting seed from a plant which is originally a clone only female.
    I too don't know a great deal about breeding but I think if the mother is stable then she shouldn't ever produce any male cuttings.
    A clone/cutting is a genetic copy, identical so should always be the same as the parent. They can reverse sex but its very rare from what I understand provided its stable. Thats why cheese was clone only for so many years I think.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Up_in_smoke For This Useful Post:

tjf8070 (20-11-11)

Thanks

The only other way I can think of is by pollinating a cutting from a clone only female and then, once the seed has been gathered, planting those seeds in the hopes of getting a male.
    Once you do get one, breed that male with another clone only until you get the same again.

Continuing to do this I would have thought would have brought the strain back closer to what it was originally by breeding out the traits from the first male used.

That's just speculation on my part.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DKD For This Useful Post:

tjf8070 (20-11-11)

Thanks

you may need to wait a long time,i have been looking for a male from a female pollen x female for a decade.
    there are no male genetics in this cross and all you will get are fem seeds and the odd hermie.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wert For This Useful Post:

tjf8070 (20-11-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darknightd View Post
    The only other way I can think of is by pollinating a cutting from a clone only female and then, once the seed has been gathered, planting those seeds in the hopes of getting a male.
    Once you do get one, breed that male with another clone only until you get the same again.

Continuing to do this I would have thought would have brought the strain back closer to what it was originally by breeding out the traits from the first male used.

That's just speculation on my part.
    When you say pollinating a cutting from a clone only female. Where are you getting the pollen?
    If you mean if the plant hermies/is forced to hermie so you have some pollen then as Wert says, you have female pollen with no male genetics in it. Its offspring will be feminised seed and hermie seed. Meaning it wouldn't be as stable as the mother.

If you mean pollinating with some other strain that is male, well then you've just created a cross and not copied the genetics resulting in a diff plant, this is where all things like big buddha cheese and blue cheese came from. They will have some traits of the mother and of the father as per normal.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Up_in_smoke For This Useful Post:

tjf8070 (20-11-11)

Thanks

Yes, I meant pollinating from another strain.

Take a male from another strain,
    Pollenate a female cutting from a clone only plant,
    Take those seeds and pick another male from those planted seeds,
    Use that males pollen on another cutting from the clone only female and continue the process.

I would have thought that the more this was done, the closer to the original clone only strain you would get to by breeding out the traits from the male first used.

I'm giving myself a headache thinking about it now :lol:

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DKD For This Useful Post:

tjf8070 (20-11-11)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast