Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you need to flush soil? or can you just leech the plant?

Thanks

Default Answered: Do you need to flush soil? or can you just leech the plant?

i know hydro is where the term flushing comes from and refers to flushing out the medium for build ups ect...and have read about leeching the plant so uses up all the nutes it has left and starts eating itself. So my Q is if the plant is healthy would i actually flush the soil by running lots of fresh water throught it or do you just stop putting nutes in and water as usual..???

2. "There is two stages to a "real" flush. The first is putting around 3-5 times the amount of water the pot can hold, through the soil, washing away any excess salt build up and the second stage is continuing to just feed plain water untill harvest.
    Thats just what iv have always done, some may say differently.
    humble"

Thanks

stop using nuts and just water mate from my soil grows and what ive read few weeks before harv just feed with water.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to whitetop For This Useful Post:

green horn (14-12-11)

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 3

There is two stages to a "real" flush. The first is putting around 3-5 times the amount of water the pot can hold, through the soil, washing away any excess salt build up and the second stage is continuing to just feed plain water untill harvest.
    Thats just what iv have always done, some may say differently.
    humble

6. The Following User Says Thank You to humblepie For This Useful Post:

green horn (14-12-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,965 Times
    Provided Answers: 112

Well I just feed water from 2 weeks till end and I miss the last watering totally ( I think this speeds up drying ).
    I have 6 x 25/30 litre pots upstairs.
    I have done the math and I'm not carrying fully laden, bud exploding pots up and down stairs and putting threw 100 L water threw each pot. the missus would kill me with the mess.

This is what I do, and will continue doing.
    Hope you find a way that suits your grow.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alzy For This Useful Post:

green horn (14-12-11), humblepie (14-12-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,844 Times
    Provided Answers: 48

only ever grown in soil & as long as its organic you dont really need to IMO, ive never flushed & it tasted pretty good

My golden rule is: if im using chemical ferts then i need to flush, if your using organic ferts then i dont need to

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Budmore For This Useful Post:

green horn (14-12-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,305 Times
    Provided Answers: 581

This one is a never ending argument, flush, no flush, leech etc.
    Personally, I believe that in its final 2 weeks, this is when the plants pack the majority of their weight on and develop most of its goodies. I have never understood why people would starve a plant at this point.
    So, I carry on feeding until the chop, maybe missing the last feed as Alzy said to speed up drying. However thats in soil, in hydro, I dont even do that.
    My theory is that if I carry on feeding and give the bud a proper cure for 3 or 4 weeks on top of drying, I will have more bud than flushing/leeching.
    Since I stopped mixing my joints with tobacco and have been using vapes, pipes or bongs, its the bud I can taste and have yet to have any spoiled by chemicals.
    The only thing I get is a sweet after taste from using molasses in soil but never a chemical taste.
    Do what makes ya happy and if you can, split your plants so some have feed, some dont and see which you prefer. Remember, our taste buds are not all the same, if they were, McDonalds wouldnt exist, it would be just Burger King
    W
    Any suggestions are opinion only. I get some right, I get some wrong but I always try to help.

How I set up my space?
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069133241
    Woody's cloning method
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069133290
    Woody's germinating guide
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069199806

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Woody J For This Useful Post:

Alzy (15-12-11), green horn (14-12-11), humblepie (15-12-11), resm4 (16-12-11), thcdudeuk (15-12-11)

Thanks

thanks people so it would seem more people dont flush the medium just leech with no complaints of taste..would like to hear from anyone who has had a diff result and yeh woody might just do that ..will keep feeding one and see if i can taste the difference and post back here after

Thanks

Cheers for the heads up woody on leeching.
    Gonna feed 3 till chop and 3 till last 2 weeks.
    Might fiddle with the nutes and leave out the Dutch pro A+B grow on the last 2 weeks and only use boosters and enhancers.

I'm not sure about leaving the whole plant intact with leave on when i chop .this will take weeks to dry out IMO.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,305 Times
    Provided Answers: 581

OW made a very good point there!
    Something I often forget to mention but always carry out is careful removal of the leaves.
    The biggest ballacher in growing has to be trimming at harvest time.
    I tend to chop at the base, turn it upside down and start trimming the fan leaves off.
    I leave most of the sugar leaves in place so they surl around the buds as they dry, protecting all those lovely crystals.
    The sugar leaves I do chop go into making hash...

I think the bottom line here is that once you cure your bud properly, only a serious connoisseur would be able to tell the difference between a flushed plant and one that has not been flushed. Add to this the fact most people mix their weed with tobacco and you negate the need to flush! If your weed is mixed with tobacco, you have ruined the flavour of the weed itself so why bother flushing?

Test it yourself as I mentioned in my last post, its the only way to find out for yourself. I would say there is about a 99% chance you will never flush or leech again once you experiment with it.
    Green mojo guys.
    W

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woody J For This Useful Post:

green horn (16-12-11)

Thanks

I may have misunderstood OW woody, I thought he ment cut at base and then hang till dry. I'm sure OW didn't mention anything about removing fan leaves.
    I normally remove these the day befor I chop Just befor the lights go out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast