Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Understanding hermie seeds

Thanks

Question Answered: Understanding hermie seeds

I have conducted some research and asked some questions, however, I would like to receive some further info about hermie seeds, if I may.

A friend of mine (cough) has some seeds which have come from a hermie, in that the parent plant gave buds full of seeds.

What is the risk of growing a hermie compared to a feminised seed?

I ask because my first attempt (using feminised autos) was full of errors and rather disappointing . Although the lessons leant have been invaluable, they were expensive (if that makes sense) as I've kinda wasted £50.

I intend to plant a few of these hermie seeds as a relatively cheap way of experimenting and learning some more. I'm not doing this for the smoke, more for experience but I did wonder if I could possibly grow some healthy seed-free buds as a pleasant result?

As I understand, feminised seeds have a higher chance of developing as hermies, if stressed enough, due to their GM heritage. Is it the same for hermie seeds or is it a case of a seed is a seed and it is events in its growing life that are the cause for hermieating (just made that word up) ?

One further question...

I've started to adopt the pre-soaking method when germinating seeds, and I've noticed that after a while some seeds sink to the bottom of the bowl, rather than floating around in little groups (they tend to be quite social). Can this sinking be used as some sort of benchmark, as in they are done with the soaking and are good to grow, or is it of no real consequence?

Cheers

2. "https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...dity+economics

Have a read here.
    Dont grow with bagseed. You may get lucky but the chances are, you will be wasting a LOT of money.
    When Sensi Seeds, Feminised Skunk #1 seeds are less than £20 for 5 seeds, I think it is silly to grow bagseed. JMO.
    W"

Thanks

As long as you are growing the seeds knowing they could well start sprouting nana's and you may end up with airy, seedy bud, go for it.
    You might get some nice weed.
    Alternatively, you might end up wasting 3 months of growing.
    I've had both happen to me, but more often it's the latter.

With seeds being so cheap nowadays, you can't really beat stable genetics, so I'd really suggest buying some cheap seeds to play with. You stand a much better chance of getting a good smoke. IMHO.
    Personally I'd buy some cheap, non auto, non fem seeds. Plant them all at once and see what you get. Chuck any males or weak looking plants and grow the rest out. I doubt you'd be dissapointed come the end of the grow.

G

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,882 Times
    Provided Answers: 187

If the plant was self-pollinated then the resulting seeds should be genetically identical to that parent and so should no more likely to turn hermaphrodite then the parent. I say 'should' because there are likely to be errors in the genetic replication meaning that there will probably be some variation.

If the plant was cross-pollinated then the chances of turning hermaphrodite are less easy to determine, but they should be the same as that of one or other of the parents. How many there are of each depends on whether the hermpahrodite trait (or traits) is recessive or dominant. Again, there will also be variation due to replication errors.

hermieating (just made that word up) ?
    Hermaphrodism, I think.

When a seed sinks it means that it has absorbed sufficient water to counteract their buoyancy. They're usually good to go at that stage. I usually wait until this happens before potting/germinating them (although they have occasionally started to crack and show the white root tip whilst still immersed).
    Last edited by Anonymiss; 12-01-12 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. That's answered my queston so well done to you both.

I'm just gona crack on and see what happens. At least I'll be able to put the new CFL through a fair test with a new crop.

Guess it's risky but such is life.

I figured the sunken seeds were a good sign so thanks for the tip.

T'ra

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,916 Times
    Provided Answers: 15

Get yourself a couple of cheapy fem seeds to put in with the others and if you do get hermies at least you'll still have something to smoke for your efforts if all the others hermie

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,305 Times
    Provided Answers: 581

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...dity+economics

Have a read here.
    Dont grow with bagseed. You may get lucky but the chances are, you will be wasting a LOT of money.
    When Sensi Seeds, Feminised Skunk #1 seeds are less than £20 for 5 seeds, I think it is silly to grow bagseed. JMO.
    W
    Any suggestions are opinion only. I get some right, I get some wrong but I always try to help.

How I set up my space?
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069133241
    Woody's cloning method
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069133290
    Woody's germinating guide
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069199806

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody J For This Useful Post:

Indica Daze (13-01-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,882 Times
    Provided Answers: 187

Quote Originally Posted by Woody J View Post
    I agree, but only up to a point.

I think it depends on where the original weed comes from. I wouldn't grow seeds from a bag of home/factory-grown weed (except perhaps my own), but I enjoy growing those from decent imported weed from places like Thailand (or more likely Vietnam or Cambodia these days).

I think that sort of grow is well worth doing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anonymiss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,743 Times
    Provided Answers: 45

Seeds from bagweed are usually not worth bothering with. The only exceptions are if you've managed to pickup something really good - like the American crippler that i've got hold of.

As I've got quite a few and the genetics are unknown I'll probably do some on a 12/12 from seed so they show sex quickly and once I'm happy with the results go for a full veg & flower and keep a eye open for bananas.

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 1

I 've been propagating my Sativa variety for fifteen years by letting a sex-altered ('hermie') go to seed each season. the result is that I consistently get 80% females and 20% males or sex-altereds. (I don't know which because at first sight of male flower out it comes.)

(for those of you who carefully analyse what is written ... and can't figure out how I get any seed if I rip out at the first sign of males ... that's because plants will grow in winter here and winter is when I do my growing for seed. that way no good plants can get fertilised by accident.)

so if you grow from sex-altered seed you are likely to get 80% female and 20% something else.

cheers!
    Last edited by wilbur; 12-01-12 at 11:28 PM. Reason: typo
    "One must try to be a good citizen, Sir. It's ... our Heritage." (Young Gaoler to Captain Starlight, a bushranger in colonial times.) what a sheep the Gaoler was. how about YOU?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woody J View Post
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...dity+economics

Have a read here.
    W
    The thing is Sir, I've already wasted £50 on legit seeds (from the London seed centre - anything I should know about this supplier?), due to mistakes on my behalf but mainly because for the first 5-6 weeks they were under a pretty weak LED.

By growing these 'bagseeds' I can at least rest assured that I can provide a sound environment, and then I'll be confident in investing in some more legit seeds..one of these probably..

http://www.londonseedcentre.co.uk/sh...sed-seeds.html
    http://www.londonseedcentre.co.uk/sh...-of-seeds.html

(I will be having a goose at that Sensi offer though)

I almost did buy some seeds the other day with my last £20 but guess where that went?! (now that's wasting a LOT of money..I would LOL but it's not even funny)

I'm going to be keeping the lights on for at least a few more weeks anyway until this first batch is complete, so I may as well stick a few new ones under and see how they fair.

As I'm happily receiving such helpfull advice please allow me to throw a couple more questions at you kind folk.

1. I have another CFL - an 85w 5500k which was purchased a few years ago for other reasons - Is it worth putting this one back in to help out or is it pointless?

2. The duel spec CFL I now have is comprised of 50/50% blue/red tubes. 4 blue on one side and 4 red on t'other. Is it important how the bulb is positioned in the holder WRT to which side is facing the plants? I ask because I've got the plants very close to the tubes.

3. Does anybody play music to their plants?

Ta very much

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast