Thread: cutting off the bigger leaves ?

Thanks

Default cutting off the bigger leaves ?

hi In the last 3 weeks i trimed off most off the bigger leaves on 2 of my 5 sativas (greenhouse,heated) just like i would do to my tomatoes.
    those 2 plants are the only ones to mature fully approx 40-50% amber pistols.

is this a well known way of encouraging them to finnish(mature) ?
    if so im out there now with the secatuers & do them all.
    much colder weather forcast this weekend.

Tiles Of The Simpsons Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,237 Times

Quote Originally Posted by xmoor View Post
    hi In the last 3 weeks i trimed off most off the bigger leaves on 2 of my 5 sativas (greenhouse,heated) just like i would do to my tomatoes.
    those 2 plants are the only ones to mature fully approx 40-50% amber pistols.

is this a well known way of encouraging them to finnish(mature) ?
    if so im out there now with the secatuers & do them all.
    much colder weather forcast this weekend.
    Some growers seem to prefer and recommend trimming off the bigger fan leaves as they say that lower buds increase in size and mature better, other growers advise against it.
    Personally i only trim off leaves if they are dead/dying. It's the leaves that take in the sunlight which is then converted by photosynthesis into various sugars/carbohydrates which the plant stores and uses when needed.
    Removing all the bigger leaves makes the plants natural metabolism slow down and although some of the lower buds may get a tad bigger, the overall size and yield of the plant can be affected.

Just my opinion mate.

Thanks

I had a 5ft satvia grown all year outdoors and most of my fan leaves fell off for a number of reasons (diease, pests and over-feeding). Vegged from May and harvested in mid-October. I only got a 1/2 oz dry off it, which I think pretty much speaks for itself. I'm with grub on the power of fan leaves, but as he says, it's just an opinion. I've read that some people remove the leaves and small bud sites on the bottom 1/3 of the plant, but at the beginning of flower, this is meant to put all the energy into the top, more productive part of the plant. Will probably give this a go at some point.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,340 Times

Yeah early on remove lower branches but leave fan leaves, all mine fell off a plant recently n pretty sure the yield was down becoz, like the guys said remove dead shit that can cause rot but those leaves are important so dont remove healthy ones.