Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: UV light??? Up THC and Kill Mold! Win win?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hillbilly Guest

Default UV light??? Up THC and Kill Mold! Win win?

Been doing yet some more Reading, this time about UV lights, Been thinking about Bud rot and UV light helping with that but also found it might up the THC as well so maybe a Win Win???

Purchase a UV lamp. Get a lamp that emits UV-C light for the best results in killing off mold and mold spores. UV lamps can be purchased at most hardware stores or online. Wear a pair of UV-opaque goggles or glasses when working with a UV lamp, as the light can be damaging to your eyes. Goggles that protect your eyes from harmful UV rays can be purchased from a tanning salon or online.

A researcher conducted a controlled experiment in a greenhouse. He lit a group of high potency plants similarly except with the addition of UVB light to some groups. He found that the percentage of THC increased in a direct ratio with the increase in UVB light. This research confirms the adage that high altitude plants are more potent than those grown at low altitudes.
    If you look at old-world land races of cannabis, plants that have become adapted to the climate and latitude, the ratio of THC to CBD starts at 100 : 1 at the equator. At the 30th parallel (The Hindu-Kush Valley) the plants have a ratio of 50 : 50. At the 45th parallel the ratio is near 1 : 100. This corresponds roughly with the amount of UVB light received at these latitudes. There is much more UVB at the equator than the 45th parallel.
    How can you get more UVB light to your plants? Certainly it's true that MH lamps emit more UVB light than HPS lamps. Still the amount that MH lamps emit is small. In fact, many manufacturers use UVB shielding glass to filter out most of the UVB that's produced. The UVB light the plant receives from an MH lamp does increase the plant's potency slightly at the cost of yield, but there are better ways to introduce UVB light into the grow room. They include reptile lights, which emit about 10% UVB, and tanning lamps.
    The problem with using these lamps is that they are associated with increased number of cancers and many other problems. They should not be on when you are in the grow room. Not much research has been conducted on using them to produce higher THC values. I will do a full report in a future issue.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Goodbuddy (24-02-12), notaclue (02-06-12)

mellowed Guest

I read that a while ago, then was gutted to realised my black lights I have were no use. I have seen a few attempts with it but never a side by side though. Would be good to see what the difference would be.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,305 Times

I've been using one for a few grows. UVB for thc. Definately does something, makes mine much smellier and I'd like to think potent.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr Swilly For This Useful Post:

Goodbuddy (24-02-12), PhilZenMaster (19-04-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,999 Times

As above, uvb reptile lamp but I only have it daily on for about 5hrs in middle of flowering days and treat it with respect, ie: no looking directly at the bulb

Had it mostly directed onto a silver haze recently and that initial thc rush was something else

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Goodbuddy For This Useful Post:

Hillbilly Guest

Thanks!!

How about Bud Rot any help with that? As it kills Mold I would think it would help with Bud Rot, add CO2, and might be the best for mix growing plants, I am thinking!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Goodbuddy (24-02-12)

Thanks

Can't say yay/nay 100%, but I've not had any since using it, although my environment was pretty dialled in at the time. Coincidence perhaps but I was planning on giving the new groom a 24hours blast though before my next batch go in as I pretty much buy into the sterilising effect of them

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Goodbuddy For This Useful Post:

Hillbilly Guest

What wt UV lights you using?? are they cool or hot?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Goodbuddy (24-02-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    What wt UV lights you using?? are they cool or hot?
    One of these, 26w CFL, screw fitting, in a flexible desk lamp so I can aim it around. They run as cool as a normal cfl bulb, with only a little residual heat from the in-built ballast

Not really found any lighting/coverage/intensity specs for them and how that relates to the 'erb (so far) though

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodbuddy For This Useful Post:

Mr Swilly (26-02-12)

MrMojorising Guest

im using a UV-C light for powdery mildew and it does get rid of it so will kill bud rot.

I really screwed my eyes up for 2 days using it without shades.
    i got a 30w T8 bulb,too strong.
    first used it and you saw the damage i did to the 530 trainwreck,well besides that plant i burnt a few others.
    they still live
    i found i had to stand about 8 ft away and this kills the mold and doesn't burn the plant,any closer with the 30w bulb and leaves drop of in a few days.
    get a 9w light at the most with the UV-C.

UV-B bulbs don't kill the mould,they produce more THC so you have to get both,UV-C and UV-B.
    (plus lots of sunglasses)

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMojorising For This Useful Post:

Goodbuddy (24-02-12), HighFlyerFlyingHigh (24-02-12), PhilZenMaster (19-04-12), scoot (26-02-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,940 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MrMojorising View Post
    im using a UV-C light for powdery mildew and it does get rid of it so will kill bud rot.

I really screwed my eyes up for 2 days using it without shades.
    i got a 30w T8 bulb,too strong.
    first used it and you saw the damage i did to the 530 trainwreck,well besides that plant i burnt a few others.
    they still live
    i found i had to stand about 8 ft away and this kills the mold and doesn't burn the plant,any closer with the 30w bulb and leaves drop of in a few days.
    get a 9w light at the most with the UV-C.

UV-B bulbs don't kill the mould,they produce more THC so you have to get both,UV-C and UV-B.
    (plus lots of sunglasses)
    Mate, I suffer with PM and can't seem to shake it, have heard about these UV-C lights doing the job.
    But I was wondering, do they cure it or simply get rid of whats showing? Can you still smell PM (you know that horrible musky smell)? Does it stop it coming back, obviously providing your room conditions are better than they were when you first contracted PM like me.
    Whilst it would be a nice easy solution as spraying em I find a bit of a ballache and never does very well, I fear it would just be a bandaid and keep coming back.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Up_in_smoke For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast