Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: UV light??? Up THC and Kill Mold! Win win?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,844 Times

also here`s another bit of info ya all might find interesting

THC: delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol - THC mimics the action of anandamide, a neurotransmitter produced naturally in the body, which binds with the cannabinoid receptors in the brain to produce the ‘high’ associated with marijuana. THC possesses high UV-B (280-315 nm) absorption properties.

THCV: tetrahydrocannabivarin - prevalent in certain South African and Southeast Asian strains of cannabis. It is said to produce a ‘clearer high’ and seems to possess many of the therapeutic properties of THC.

CBD: cannabidiol - previously believed to be psychoactive, or to contribute to the high by interacting with other cannabinoids, conversely the most recent research indicates that CBD has negligible effect on the high, it is however a strong anti-inflammatory, and may take the edge off some THC effects, such as anxiety. CBD as a non-psychoactive cannabinoid appears to be helpful for many medical conditions.

CBD biosynthesizes into cannabinol (CBN) & tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

CBN: cannabinol - a degradation product of THC, produces a depressant effect, ‘fuzzy’ forehead.

CBC: cannabichromene - non-psychoactive , a precursor to THC.

CBG: cannabigerol - non-psychoactive, hemp strains often possess elevated levels of CBG while possessing only trace amounts of THC.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ive highlighted the part that was of serious interest to me, LED Lights are measured in NM & i believe you can buy LED`s in the 280-315 nm range rather then UVB reptile bulbs but be careful if you use these because they are known to bleach a plants colour if its used to much.

Hope you all find this useful

Sorry to double post

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Budmore For This Useful Post:

blue cheese (24-02-12), Goodbuddy (24-02-12), HighFlyerFlyingHigh (24-02-12), mercegue (25-02-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,327 Times

nice info bud

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue cheese For This Useful Post:

Budmore (24-02-12)

Thanks

Wink

I use the occasional UVB tube in my surround. UVC unravels dna, that is the killing effect it has, all dna it touches.
    UVB seems to increase black algae on my rockwool.
    I put as much UVB for twelve hours straight as a meadow at the equator would get during noon. It seems to create creeper weed more that increasing the direct potency. I can get quite a bit more stoned with it, by the time I stop 'cause I've had enough...I keep getting high for another half hour!

Here's a picture of the tubes, should be able to read the names.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T5 group.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	95677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T8 group.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	95678

Between the two brands, Reptisun (T8) and Arcadia (T5), the Arcadia gave me real sunburn and has to be kept back, the Reptisun can be right on top for the same reading.

Here are readings right off the bulbs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arcadia, 20 cm.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	95675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reptisun, 20 cm.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	95676

I have been using UVB in my surround for six months. I started with a test area getting enough UVB to kill the plant. And the next. And the next.
    The fourth plant lived, severely stunted. So far so good two harvests in a row. Smaller than the previous average, but more overall enjoyment from the smoking experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UVB at top bud.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	95679  
    Last edited by Phaeton; 24-02-12 at 09:39 AM. Reason: wanted to add another picture

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phaeton For This Useful Post:

FunkySkunkyMonkey (24-02-12), Goodbuddy (24-02-12), PhilZenMaster (19-04-12), scoot (26-02-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,940 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MrMojorising View Post
    im using a UV-C light for powdery mildew and it does get rid of it so will kill bud rot.

I really screwed my eyes up for 2 days using it without shades.
    i got a 30w T8 bulb,too strong.
    first used it and you saw the damage i did to the 530 trainwreck,well besides that plant i burnt a few others.
    they still live
    i found i had to stand about 8 ft away and this kills the mold and doesn't burn the plant,any closer with the 30w bulb and leaves drop of in a few days.
    get a 9w light at the most with the UV-C.

UV-B bulbs don't kill the mould,they produce more THC so you have to get both,UV-C and UV-B.
    (plus lots of sunglasses)
    Mate, I suffer with PM and can't seem to shake it, have heard about these UV-C lights doing the job.
    But I was wondering, do they cure it or simply get rid of whats showing? Can you still smell PM (you know that horrible musky smell)? Does it stop it coming back, obviously providing your room conditions are better than they were when you first contracted PM like me.
    Whilst it would be a nice easy solution as spraying em I find a bit of a ballache and never does very well, I fear it would just be a bandaid and keep coming back.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Up_in_smoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,305 Times

Good info guys and just what I was looking for.
    I used to use a 10,000kelvin light for the last 2 weeks of flower. Since it was confiscated, I have been disappointed with the potency of the couple of plants I have grown at my friends house. The 600W 10k bulb wasnt cheap, £60 and I just cannot afford to replace it.

So, the space I have available it a small cupboard, 2ft 6 x 3ft with a 400W dual spec HPS, what uV bulb should I get to supplement the HPS?
    W
    Any suggestions are opinion only. I get some right, I get some wrong but I always try to help.

How I set up my space?
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069133241
    Woody's cloning method
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069133290
    Woody's germinating guide
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069199806

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,999 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Woody J View Post
    So, the space I have available it a small cupboard, 2ft 6 x 3ft with a 400W dual spec HPS, what uV bulb should I get to supplement the HPS?
    W
    Can't go wrong with the reptiglo UVB for about £15-20 woodyj, especially as it fits into a standard household light fitting Check out your local pet depot they usually have them in at a reasonable price

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodbuddy For This Useful Post:

Woody J (25-02-12)

Hillbilly Guest

Thanks everyone I am learning a lot..
    MH puts out more UV-"??" light then HPS! also seen this,, "Don't remember what one B or C off the top of my head.[/COLOR]"

This was on Cali growing Hemp, I was looking for GMO in Cannabis when I came across this.!

THC regulations serve as a bureaucratic tool to monopolize the Hemp industry. All known low THC varieties grow only in temperates north of the earths 45th parallel circle of latitude < link> This is due to the low UVB radiation coming from the sun at those climates. California’s climate receives substantially higher amounts of UVB radiation then northern climates and thus drastic increases in THC levels are common. This makes the task of regulating THC very difficult. The result is that THC regulations effectively ban 100% of all Cannabis already being grown by California farmers, forcing farmers to be dependent on the agricultural establishment for seed.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,999 Times

So then hillbilly, are you gonna be making a road trip to the Canadian border this spring to drop a few of yours off, guerilla styleee and get more CBD/N come the fall? lol

If I read that last quote right, if we were to re-introduce some 'hemp' into the mix, would that give an instant increase in CBx in the offspring? and better 'medicinal' weed I wonder That would be an interesting path to follow/lead.

MrMojorising Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Up_in_smoke View Post
    Mate, I suffer with PM and can't seem to shake it,
    But I was wondering, do they cure it or simply get rid of whats showing? Can you still smell PM .
    It has surfaced twice since first treating them,nothing as bad as it was the first time,just a few specs every couple of weeks,
    the bulb only kills what the light shines on-meaning you have to make sure the whole plant is treated,no different to spraying.

the smell went as soon as i switched the light on,the big bulb i got was to treat the room as well,fans,tents,carpet etc...

my pm was from a cutting i got,i still have it as a mother plant as it smells lovely but i have to treat it every 10 days because i know it will show its head again as its in the plants system(took me a little time to suss that one out)

now i have binned the mum but will strip the tent down and blast everything as a spring clean when the final plant finishes flowering.

i will be getting a UV-B bulb next

MrMojorising Guest

so now i have started using it in a schedule,all plants out every 10 days and treat them,and a sweep of the inside of the tent.
    my advice is to attach the light to something and then spread the plant out so the stems and smaller leaves get treated,turning the plant round as well.
    but as i said i've had to find out by starting too close and working back,so now i'm 8ft away and i know this kills the spores and has no affect on the leaves.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMojorising For This Useful Post:

scoot (26-02-12)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast