Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Humming through the wall....

Thanks

Question Humming through the wall....

I've finally got everything setup and as quiet as I think I can make it.

I may be being rather paranoid but I dont think that can be a bad thing , my wardrobe is across the room in my bedroom, my bed sits up against next doors wall, I can hear next door quiet a lot, her coughing in bed, moving around etc when its late at night.

My issue is the noise "I" can hear from my bed, it is quiet to my ears, but I'm wondering if next door will be able to hear the hum that my setup makes, I wouldnt call it low level noise so much, and there doesnt seem to be much "bass" to it. But do you think people would hear it, what if she hears something and puts her ear to wall.....

Is there anyway I can be more sure they wouldnt hear it - I was thinking of putting a think piece of rubber sheeting under my tent in the wardrobe to cushion it, would that help with any low level noises? (the tent is already sat on a 30mm or so of dense insulation.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,178 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Relapse View Post
    I've finally got everything setup and as quiet as I think I can make it.

I may be being rather paranoid but I dont think that can be a bad thing , my wardrobe is across the room in my bedroom, my bed sits up against next doors wall, I can hear next door quiet a lot, her coughing in bed, moving around etc when its late at night.

My issue is the noise "I" can hear from my bed, it is quiet to my ears, but I'm wondering if next door will be able to hear the hum that my setup makes, I wouldnt call it low level noise so much, and there doesnt seem to be much "bass" to it. But do you think people would hear it, what if she hears something and puts her ear to wall.....

Is there anyway I can be more sure they wouldnt hear it - I was thinking of putting a think piece of rubber sheeting under my tent in the wardrobe to cushion it, would that help with any low level noises? (the tent is already sat on a 30mm or so of dense insulation.

Thanks everyone.
    My set was more or less the same I can hear my neighbours late at night as well so I got my lights on in the daytime not the best for heat issues but I'm sure they can't hear anything as so much is going on during the day it goes un noticed ......good luck

Thanks

Have you considered building an artificial wall that is just thick enough to get some insulation in?

I know it sounds like a big job but once you have your frame work up you can get some insulation boards fitted into the frame work, and also some insulating plasterboard, and will reduce the noise so much that doubt you'll even be able to hear your neighbour coughing.

It's worth checking into.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,125 Times

blankets... stops most of the humming

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,040 Times

Quote Originally Posted by bubbs View Post
    blankets... stops most of the humming
    i used to use a load of sleeping bags i had draped over the tent, did the job

Thanks

I can hear my nieghbours every word, well I could up until 4 weeks ago when I turned the whole bedroom into a grow room.
    They must think I'm mad hoovering 24/7 for 4 weeks whilst drying my hair.
    I plan to run the fans up in the attic when I get round to it. You can wrap your fan in cling film, put it in a box, cut holes for your ducting, tape it well, make a few little holes and fill it with foam filler.
    Or put a dimmer on your fan, they're a lot less noisey turned down a little.
    I can't get round to sorting mine out so I can sleep a bit better at night. My neighbours will too for that matter.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to funnyfanny For This Useful Post:

-Smokey- (21-03-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,662 Times

Try hanging it from bungies or sitting it on spikes this will reduce the contact area making the hum quieter

Thanks

You could get some Silencing Foam.

If your a musician, you will know what I mean. The stuff that you put on your walls to suppress the noise, so people who are outside the room can't hear you playing.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,940 Times

No matter how much work you do, you'll still notice something and it will still always make you paranoid. Theres always some noise.
    I always worry my neighbours may hear my setup or me up in the loft, but you just gotta get on with it and hope you've taken enough precautions that they don't

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Up_in_smoke For This Useful Post:

foopa (08-04-13)

Thanks

Thanks for the input everyone.

The wardrobe does already have sound dampening layer inside using the insulation - sold as sound dampening as well. I have thought about putting my fan in a box type thing to make it quieter, but I think the fact its in my tent in covered in insulation, inside a wardrobe - if that aint keeping it quiet, not much else would I reckon.

I do find myself overly paranoid about these things, I've even taken to whispering when talking to my mrs about it in the bedroom lol....you never know who's listening huh.

Building a wall is out the question for me, its a rented house so I cant atm - I would though I reckon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast