Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just Perlite or Perlite/Vermiculite mix?

Thanks

Question Just Perlite or Perlite/Vermiculite mix?

Hey guys, I'm new here(first post) and I just wanted to say Hello. Im about to start my 2nd grow, first grow I used soil and it was alrite, but Im looking to try something new. I really wanna step into the hydro world, and people say hempy buckets are a good starting point from soil to hydro. I already bought two 3 gallon buckets and put the 1/2 inch hole, 2inches up from the bottom. I plan on starting the germinated seeds in rapid rooters, then a 16oz party cup, then just bog it into the 3 gallon bucket. I have Perlite, but I was wondering If I should get vermiculite as I have a lil extra cash. I was wondering if it would make it a lil more easy for a first time hempy grower to have the Perlite/vermiculite mix as opposed to just perlite. Also, I wanna do a two plant scrog, would it be ok to Lst/Scrog with the hempy method or is the Perlite/verm too loose to do that with? Let me know what you think

Thanks alot, and night to meet you all.
    Last edited by LED in 2D; 04-04-12 at 04:17 PM.

Yeti Sports Pentathlon Champion! Apples Champion! Chicken Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,828 Times

welcome..yes use both..I only have done a half grow with hempy style..had to get rid but I liked both in the bucket. The plant will hold in the hempy as when it's wet it's very heavy and solid so the plant should not move about..More so when it has a good root system going..It's fine if you scrog them..

Looking for New Pastures

3. The Following User Says Thank You to up2nogood For This Useful Post:

LED in 2D (06-04-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by up2nogood View Post
    welcome..yes use both..I only have done a half grow with hempy style..had to get rid but I liked both in the bucket. The plant will hold in the hempy as when it's wet it's very heavy and solid so the plant should not move about..More so when it has a good root system going..It's fine if you scrog them..
    Alrite man, thanks alot I'll head to the store than, did you use the 3:1 or 4:1 mix?

Yeti Sports Pentathlon Champion! Apples Champion! Chicken Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,828 Times

I used more perlite then Vermiculite..think it was about 60% perlite to 40% Vermiculite..There are some hempy grows on the diary section if you want to have a butchers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to up2nogood For This Useful Post:

LED in 2D (06-04-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by up2nogood View Post
    I used more perlite then Vermiculite..think it was about 60% perlite to 40% Vermiculite..There are some hempy grows on the diary section if you want to have a butchers
    Alrite, Thanks again

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,317 Times

as up2 said get some vermi, you use the vermi because it holds water where the perlite doesnt and that means more time between waterings (good thing) do a 3-1 ratio perlite to vermi

i do coco hempys now which i think are slighlty better cos they hold far more water but as you have 3 gall buckets you be happy with the two/three day watering they will need when the plant is flowering

yes you can lst i drill my bucket rims for the wires etc plant bendz are great for lst (ebay)

try not to use canna nutes in hempys, i get a few problem with them yellowing a couple of weeks in to flower

keep it simple and you wont go wrong dont, measure the run off it will only get you twisted, cos it goes very high on the ec
    ph around 5.8 not the 6.2 that hempy uses feed every watering a nice low ec sth like 1.2 /1.4 and once a week or 9 days just give em plain phed water

dont over feed in hempys as the nutes can get very concentrated in the buckets

if you need any help give me a shout it a great method to dip you toes in to hydro and you be very pleaded with the results over dirt

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Forest For This Useful Post:

LED in 2D (06-04-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest View Post
    as up2 said get some vermi, you use the vermi because it holds water where the perlite doesnt and that means more time between waterings (good thing) do a 3-1 ratio perlite to vermi

i do coco hempys now which i think are slighlty better cos they hold far more water but as you have 3 gall buckets you be happy with the two/three day watering they will need when the plant is flowering

yes you can lst i drill my bucket rims for the wires etc plant bendz are great for lst (ebay)

try not to use canna nutes in hempys, i get a few problem with them yellowing a couple of weeks in to flower

keep it simple and you wont go wrong dont, measure the run off it will only get you twisted, cos it goes very high on the ec
    ph around 5.8 not the 6.2 that hempy uses feed every watering a nice low ec sth like 1.2 /1.4 and once a week or 9 days just give em plain phed water

dont over feed in hempys as the nutes can get very concentrated in the buckets

if you need any help give me a shout it a great method to dip you toes in to hydro and you be very pleaded with the results over dirt
    Wow thanks alot man, would you recommend the coco hempy for a first time hempy grower? I've tried just coco before(not in hempy), but I never really understood it, so my plants didn't really do anything. Also, I just found out that my buckets are only 2 Gallons. Will the GH Maxi nutes be alrite if I were to use coco with the hempy?

If you don't think its a good Idea for me to start with coco hempy, than let me know and I'll just stick to the Perlite/Vermiculite mix

Thanks

well i dont find coco hempys any harder , and you water a day or two less with coco hempys they hold much more water , you use a perlite res filled just a tad over the drain hole and use coco mixed with a bit of perlite, it works well, i use dutch master nutes now and love them
    but ive use vitalink and canna aqua and canna hydro nutes , but coco nutes would be better sth like hesi, or house and garden are great nutes if you havent got them already , if you have you can use any hydro nutes you want , what didnt you understand for the coco? coco is a great medium imo
    both produce well you can use bennys in the coco if you want, where its not worth it in perlite/vermi
    10 L/2 gall is the best size hempy for handling

if didnt get on with the coco they wont be any diff to be honest it just like growing in coco drain to waste

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Forest For This Useful Post:

LED in 2D (06-04-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest View Post
    well i dont find coco hempys any harder , and you water a day or two less with coco hempys they hold much more water , you use a perlite res filled just a tad over the drain hole and use coco mixed with a bit of perlite, it works well, i use dutch master nutes now and love them
    but ive use vitalink and canna aqua and canna hydro nutes , but coco nutes would be better sth like hesi, or house and garden are great nutes if you havent got them already , if you have you can use any hydro nutes you want , what didnt you understand for the coco? coco is a great medium imo
    both produce well you can use bennys in the coco if you want, where its not worth it in perlite/vermi
    10 L/2 gall is the best size hempy for handling

if didnt get on with the coco they wont be any diff to be honest it just like growing in coco drain to waste
    When I tried to grow with just coco, some People were saying to water when the coco drys out, and others would say water every day so I just got super confused about the watering schedule.I also got confused about the feedings, Some people said feed 1/4 rite when they sprout, others said wait 2 weeks. Thats about it I would think lol, just went back to soil after that. I really would like to grow coco, as I bought a couple of those big bricks of it when I was doing coco, so I have like 2 storage bins full of it. I definitely wanna get into hydro, and wanna start with hempy lol.

Also, I have Canna Coco A and B or I have all the Roots Organic Nutes or MaxiGrow and Maxibloom, dont know which would be best though.

Do you have any good links on Coco Hempy's?
    Thanks again for all the help man sorry to be a bother.
    Last edited by LED in 2D; 06-04-12 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks

no bother bro i like to help , ok ther a few thing there to answer they were both right

when the plant are young you can over water in coco so just water when the pot becomes light once they are going and a few weeks old they can take staying wet

always feed every watering in coco unless it needs a flush if somthing goes wrong

dont over feed keep you ec down to sth like 1.2 / 1.4 all though the grow and you not go far wrong and ph to 5.6/5.9

canna coco is ok to use use that

get 50 post and you can pm me then to ask any thing you need to there is some threads in the general stoner bit you can get you post count up on

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Forest For This Useful Post:

LED in 2D (06-04-12)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast