Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why has my bulb exploded!?

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 7

Mabe somebody touched it while you not looking

Icon Guest

I have used a few that have had finger prints on and not had a problem so i think its just a case of bad luck in this instance.
    I have touched a few with sweaty heads as well without incident so although im not encouraging any one to be anything then clinical with them i wouldnt want everyone panicking at the slightest little thing
    They are generally quite resilient things.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,317 Times
    Provided Answers: 40

bulbs blow, if the next one is ok, its just one of these things,

if you havent splashed water on it that is, they dont like a drop of cold water on them one bit!

or so they say, left finger prints on it many say that can damage them as well, although ive fingered them with no bad results

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,245 Times
    Provided Answers: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Chronic the Hedgehog View Post
    This is my first ever grow, im 3 weeks in and my 250 watt mh bulb seems to have exploded on the inside leaving a massive bulge on the outer shell!!!

ive ordered a new one but can someone please tell me why this has happend i cleaned the bulb with a cloth before applying and have pretty much done everything by the book.

also, ive had to replace it with my 250 watt hps until the new one arrives so ive raised the reflector a few inches and now giving the plant 6 hours of darkness instead of 4. the bottom leaves have already gone almost completely yellow and other leaves are beginning to look crispy on the edges as well..

please help me?

Silly question have you used the same ballast? Does your ballast not only run 250w only but does it run both mh and hps assuming your using the same ballast?
    'there was a young man named jobby,
    who haboured an illicit hobby,
    with renknowned growing fame,
    he put our plants to shame,
    that bright young man named jobby'

Thanks

ok, ive just received my new mh bulb and it broke after about 18 hours!! i was extra careful this time and didnt even touch the bulb during application (i used a dish cloth).
    Im pretty sure no moisture is reaching the bulb and yes its a 400 watt ballast and fits both mh and hps. I asked charlie at charlies hydro before purchasing the ballast and he sed this setup should work perfectly aswell as leave a little room if i decide to switch to 400 watt bulbs.
    ive sent the bulb back and should be receiving a new one in a few days so i will keep all updated.
    and yes the yellowing of the leaves was due to lack of nutrients.. ive applied the required amount of canna nutes to my res but was wondering how often i should add fresh nutes as my EC meter hasnt arrived yet (thats what i get for buying from hong kong) also, i only want to be replacing my res water after every harvest so have gone and bought myself a 3.5 watt air pump to keep the water fresh and oxygen charged.
    sorry if i sound a bit noobish any help would be wickedd

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,269 Times

400 watt ballast
    and,

250 watt bulb

bells are ringing!
    ...the never ending journey on the edge of time...

Five years, not banned yet!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to katy For This Useful Post:

><{{{*>MiK<*}}}>< (24-04-12)

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 2

+1 for Katy

400W Ballast needs a 400W Bulb

Unless it's a digital dimmable ballast then you could possibly just about get away with using the wrong bulb
    Crossed Trifle Black Rose Trifle SAGE Trifle grow diary !
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...fle-grow-diary
    CANNABIS eBOOKS LINK >>
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ighlight=magic

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ><{{{*>MiK<*}}}>< For This Useful Post:

Chronic the Hedgehog (03-05-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,305 Times
    Provided Answers: 581

Quote Originally Posted by ><{{{*>MiK<*}}}>< View Post
    +1 for Katy

400W Ballast needs a 400W Bulb

Unless it's a digital dimmable ballast then you could possibly just about get away with using the wrong bulb
    Even with a dimmable ballast, I would still not use a lower rated bulb with it, I feel it is just asking for trouble.
    Use 400W bulbs fella.
    W
    Any suggestions are opinion only. I get some right, I get some wrong but I always try to help.

How I set up my space?
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069133241
    Woody's cloning method
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069133290
    Woody's germinating guide
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069199806

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody J For This Useful Post:

Hillbilly Guest

Bulbs fail and when they do they do it it's not a good thing, I was looking for a bulb not long ago and it was showing how bulbs explode and fail, as long as the out side glass doesn't brake your ok, but if a bulb brakes all the way then the grow room needs to be vented and cleaned after it's vented and is some what to clean it.

I don't know, i can't see through the smoke
    Thanks
    Provided Answers: 1

you need a new ballast, and let me guess the guy at the grow shop said "its a little more expensive, but its better and you can go to a better bulb" he's either incompetent or screwed you for a few extra quid

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDukeof420 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast