Thread: loss of smell

Thanks

Default loss of smell

I know different things effect the smell of drying bud (temp, humidity, strain, when harvested, etc) but how many growers here has potent smell from their buds throughout the drying process without it diminishing at all. I also understand a good curing with frequent burping can bring back the smell we all love after 1-4 weeks. Just wondered if everyone's bud lost its smell during the drying process at some point.
    Look forward to some replies.
    Thanks. JJ.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,985 Times

Taste & Odor

Terpenoids are the highly volatile compounds that give marijuana much of its’ characteristic odors, and therefore tastes.

The most of the research i read on line suggests terpenoids lend to the high, sometimes very significantly. Cannabinoids are phenolated terepenes so it’s not surprising that many hundreds of different terpenoids are synthesized as well.

As pot ages, some of the terpenoids go through polycyclic aromatization in the process of decomposition. This agglomeration of terpenoids will change the flavor; hence the ability of cured pot to show flavors that didn’t seem present in the original fresh material. Much of the very volatile terpenoids will also evaporate and or decompose, especially with prolonged curing or storage. This action will remove some matter from the pot increasing the cannabinoid concentration and therefore potency.

It must be noted that excessively long curing or storage, higher temperatures, or extremely low moisture content will cause such through evaporation of the terpenoids that the cannabis will generally loose almost all of it’s natural flavors. GBK

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GBK For This Useful Post:

jjbel (19-04-12)

Thanks

Excuse my ignorance but what does this mean in laymens terms.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,178 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jjbel View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but what does this mean in laymens terms.
    Lol "was thinking the same thing"

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,985 Times

I was explaining how and why the smells come and goes, What to do to avoid this, and what creates the smell

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GBK For This Useful Post:

jjbel (19-04-12)

Thanks

Any chance of putting it into something a bit simpler. ie what you would do to retain the odor all through the drying.
    Thanks