Thread: 2x250w cfl max temp question!

Thanks

Default 2x250w cfl max temp question!

G'dday Gents!

I've converted a kitchen larder cupboard 70cmx70cmx240cm into a grow room, running a 4" 245m3/hr extractor with 4" rhino.
    got 2 x 1 week old LSD seedlings under plug and grow 2x250w cfls (one each hehe) on there way to go into a scrog.

they are in a seedling mix that i'm going to start to slowly feed as they get bigger, then transplant straight into plagron Batmix with a few extra worm castings added

Cfls are on 24hrs at the moment and the temps in the room is 29.9c max temp with 42% max RH.

The normal room temp is 23/25c due to there being 2 rads on both outside walls and hot water tank/airing cupboard on the back wall.

now for my question lol...I have not bought my hps yet for the flowering stage and was wondering if anybody knows how much heat 2x250w cfls create in relation to a hps, 250w,450w,600w? I was planning on getting a 600w hps with a (dimmable) Lumatek ballast where i can turn it down to 400W if temps to high. is this still realistic or am i going to struggle with 30c+?

intake i have a few pc fans attached to a vent on the door.

please any idea's muchly appretiated

Regards

Thanks

update..i have turned rad off in kitchen and leave windows open as much as i can, also leaving the airing cupboard door open, but i have only saved a degree.

I understand that 29c is a nice temp for plants but im still worrying about that hps lol

Thanks

I'm running a 400whps in a slightly larger space, 80x80x160, similar extraction and struggled with high temps until I bought myself a cooltube which has so far kept my temps really nice, hoping its just as effective during the summer months lol.....
    Getting a 600 in your smaller space with so much ambient heat around I'm quite confident in saying you will struggle, at best.... or find it impossible at worst.
    Good luck whatever you decide mate

Scouse.
    “They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference.”

Thanks

thanks scouse!

hhmmmm dont really want to cut another hole in the ceiling, i think my space might be abit larger 70x70x240?

Do you think i should get the dimmable 600W? i can switch to 400w then and if i get a space larger in the future i can use 600w?
    or get 400w dimmable to 250w on the safe side lol

Thanks

Can you get a sealed cool tube and put it in series to the CF, and run it of the same fan?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beardless View Post
    thanks scouse!

hhmmmm dont really want to cut another hole in the ceiling, i think my space might be abit larger 70x70x240?

Do you think i should get the dimmable 600W? i can switch to 400w then and if i get a space larger in the future i can use 600w?
    or get 400w dimmable to 250w on the safe side lol
    Agreed, and although your space is larger in height I'm sure you will find much of the heat is below the light and therefore higher temperatures? I suppose with my bigger floor space this may even it out if that makes sense lol

I suppose the answer on what to buy will depend ultimately on your requirements, how many plants, what grow method/medium, how much you need to yield in order to ditch the dealer and how much risk you are willing to take potentially having to spend more money and make more adjustments to your groom should the 600 be too much. Personally from experience I wish I'd have bought a 400 to 250 dimmable myself, I know the 600 would be too much for me by far and suspect I may encounter problems even with my 400 during the hot summer months.... Just hoping the cooltube will see me through, but to put my experience into perspective for you, I could reach 40degrees at canopy level with a simple dutch barn reflector I am yet to see above 28 degrees since getting my cooltube a few weeks ago..

Scouse.

Friday Guest

Hi mate. I too veg under a dual 250w cfl in a 80x80x160 (passive intake - 5 inch exhaust fan)and flower under a 400w-250w hps in a 90x90x180 (active intake 5inch, 5inch exhaust). I'd say u get about the same temps really mate (26-29oc) maybe abit more when on 400w SL. (dimerable ballast 400w SL - 250w). Mine are on 400w SL 15inch above my girls and it's sat at 29oc with no ill effect on the plants - just have a fan blowing across the tops.
    I struggled with temps for abit until I got myself some fan controllers and a oil rad for the flower tent for 12 off.
    Good luck.

Friday

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...p-Rocklock-DNA.
    Last edited by Friday; 03-05-12 at 10:23 PM.