Thread: DIY Bubbleponics/DWC 8 site build (Nutrient issues)

Thanks

Default DIY Bubbleponics/DWC 8 site build (Nutrient issues)

Hi, I am new to the forum. I've been browsing these forums for a while now and picked up lots of useful info, however I have been having problems the last 3 months or so. Had a couple successful soil grows, but on my last soil run I began having problems with stunted growth, pale green leaves and necrosis. I assumed it was a N problem, tried the flush & replenish to no avail. I removed the plants from my closet, gave them to a friend and since moving them out of my space they have bounced back. I had switched from CFLs to a Blackstar 240w LED Panel, and the problems began soon after (not blaming the LEDS but I am becoming suspicious). My soil issues prompted me to learn more about hydroponics. I have a "Bubbleponics"/ DWC 8 site system I recently put together. I was worried about light leaking through the res causing algae, so I gave it 2 coats of black krylon and 1 coat of white. I am growing Querkle from TGA Subcool. They are from seeds that I bred myself from 1st gen M and F Querkle plants. I had 100% germ of 10 seeds in rockwool, so 8 got selected and put into the system. I had some issues at first with the feeding tubes, and they got removed soon after roots hit the water. The res is a 20gal rubbermaid, filled with about 13 gal of water. The 3.75 in net pots sit about 1 inch above water level, and get splashed by the bubbles. I am running Dyna-Gro nutrients, using tap water with a base of 87ppm. Began at about 150ppm and moved it up to 335ppm after first noticing pale leaves and again assuming it was a N problem. Now the plants are 3 weeks old and the lower leaves are beginning to die off. New growth is pale green. I upped the nutrients to 4ml/gal pro-tekt, 5ml/gal Grow 7-9-5 and .5ml/gal Mag-Pro 2-15-4 bringing me to 630ppm. My PH is pretty much kept on target, slowly drifting from 5.7ish to 6.8 every other day, but I am using liquid tester so I'm sure it is not as accurate as a digital meter. There are plenty of bubbles coming from the 2 Double XL Micro Pore diffusers, and a more powerful 38l/h air pump is on the way. My res temps stay steady at around 70f.

Is it possible that the Blackstar LED Panel is causing me problems? It has never been this hard for me to achieve nice, deep green growth in Veg but since switching to LED I have began having these issues. There is also Mold growing on the rockwool, even though the Humidity of the closet never goes above 50%. Closet temp is 75f on average. Some of the mold is slimy and green and some is fuzzy and white. I have a mild bleach solution similar to clean-rez that I use to keep root algae at bay but this seems to do nothing about the mold growing on top of the rockwool. The constant bubbles keep the RW moist, but not as wet as the feeding tubes did.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled-3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	107458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled-4.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	107459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled-5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	107460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled-7.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	107461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled-11.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	107462

Thanks

Here are a few more pictures. I feel like the growth is WAY too little after 3 weeks from sprout. Are these even worth saving, or is it better to start from scratch? The roots are still white and they seem to be growing ever-so-slowly, is it possible to have them bounce back into shape without being too stunted? This is driving me insane, as I cannot seem to diagnose the problem and everything I'm trying only seems to make it worse.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	107463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled-6.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	107464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled-8.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	107465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled-9.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	107466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled-12.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	107467

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 32,237 Times

dont no anything about l e d lights but letting the ph go to 6.8 is to much keep it at 5.8 to 6.2 by the looks of it u have a defiancy in the plants maybe do a res change and set the ph an ec again
    quarter strenght feed mines is ec so dont no the ppm but will try check and see what it is
    is your water lever up to the bottom of the pots?
    how many air stones are in it maybe add another or just a pump in the res flooming

sig by ganjaholic

current grow a multi strain bonanza perp run
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=129609

[cheisel the one kilo plant
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ad.php?t=99634complete
    kali snapple mother treehttps://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...le-mother-treecomplete
    forum rules please read
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ules-And-Facts
    Completeagent orange kali snapple critical kush sweettooth https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-critical-kush
    completehttps://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...lowering-diary

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FACE For This Useful Post:

Niko13 (05-05-12)

Thanks

The water level is about 1in below the net pots. I have 2 double XL micro pore diffusers in the res, and a stronger air pump is arriving soon. I will try a flush/quarter strength nutes but again these problems started early (when I was using 1/4 strength) which is why I thought it needed more N...thinking maybe it be some kind of salt buildup but still unsure. Should the water level always touch the bottom of the pots? I was under the impression it was good to leave them with a little air space. Thanks for the input!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Niko13 For This Useful Post:

FACE (06-05-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 32,237 Times

A usually keep it just almost touching the bottom but others do as u do so it won't matter
    Try givin them and good flush through with water each pot then fresh nutes at quarter ph 5.8 to 6.2 and see how they look in a few days