Thread: Opening seeds by hand

Thanks

Default Opening seeds by hand

I just found a new way to open seedies yesterday, after reading something about sanding seeds that had trouble germing, i remembered that my ones do tend to take long to germ and have thick husks.

Fiddling around with the seeds i noticed that they all pop open at the root end, if you squeeze the ridge next to the pointy end... you would think it would be easy to twat the pith of the seed inside but actually it seemed very safe because the husk has space to flex and the pith has abit of air around it. ou need a 2mm of thumbnail and you hold the seed in thumb and finger and the roll your nail onto the pointy ridge abit under the point of the seed, on the root side.

So anyway, knowing i wanted to plant them all on the same day and that they a bitch to germinate, i cracked all 100 of them

here is a pic for describing cracking seeds by hand... ever heard of it before???? it rocks its really easy, so far 50% of the seeds seem to have rooties protruding the next day i soaked em in water 3 hours first, if you leave them 7 8 hours they go too mushy you can't pop them. only worth it if you have seeds varieties that take 7 8 days, you can do it in 2. y
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canna seed popping.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	107570  
    Last edited by Tuone; 05-05-12 at 12:15 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tuone For This Useful Post:

L (05-05-12), old skool toker (05-05-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,005 Times

well done mate you just smashed the thc talk record for the 10 plant rule.....much qudos.......100 seeds lol
    !!!CANNABIS FREEDOM FIGHTER, FULLTIME MENTALIST

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to old skool toker For This Useful Post:

L (05-05-12), tricone (05-05-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,723 Times

Thanks

yeah but not cannabis seeds! i grow for hemp chord only, you druggies are always imagining things!

Thanks

20 lowryder seeds are equivalent to 1 thai seed as they are micro's that's why!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,463 Times

nice one, my triplets can be a bitch sometimes

Thanks

Arrow New to it all

Quote Originally Posted by old skool toker View Post
    well done mate you just smashed the thc talk record for the 10 plant rule.....much qudos.......100 seeds lol
    I just started my girls I have 4. I don't know what strain they are but they look like they are worth wait for.
    I have a few questions but i will start with this one.

I started them in a miracle grow 0.21-0.7-0.14 potting soil. I and wondering
    1. Can I now use a plant food with 24-8-16
    2 Will this hurt them
    3 They are three weeks old

Thanks

it's pretty amazing, 24 hours after putting them in damp tissues they are all germed with tails. surely someone must have figured this out before!

Thanks

1. Can I now use a plant food with 24-8-16

3 They are three weeks old[/QUOTE]

just check the leaf color, if they need nutes you can water them from after the first leaves come up, water dilute untill you see the leaves all green. 3 weeks is easily old enough the root will be 2 feet in 3 weeks

Thanks

Update on popping seeds by hand... It Frigging Rocks!!!! It worked so well it caught me by surprise and all the seeds had great big roots on them after 2 days of soaking, so i had to take extra care planting them and they were starting to lose their orientation by the time i got to plant site. What's more, nearly 100 percent germination rate.

soaking them for 3-4 hours seems to make them pop abit easier but you can pop them as long as they arent green. you have to plant them within 24 hours of soaking them if you pop them because if you have alot it is a total hassle to take care of loads of seeds with rootlets, if you just soak a day and stick them in the wet ground they should come up extra nice.