Thread: how to dial in my hydro..?

Thanks

Default how to dial in my hydro..?

ive been setting up a run to waste coco grow using a 1mx1m tray and a storage tub under it, ill be running 6 plants in 11litre pots and ill be making my own dripper rings with 2mm holes in 4mm pipe(i know now 6mm is better)
    but im worryed about a couple of things..

firstly i have a MJ750 - flow rate of 670l/h
    do i just run the timer for 1 minute so 670l/h / 60 = 11 litres a min ?
    i can forsee all 60-80litres of water coming out all at once and flooding the place and it isnt possible to test in the bath, how will i restrict the amount of water coming from the pump so that theres only roughly 12 litres of water coming out of 6 dripper rings? or do i just run the timer for 1 minute?

also im sure i remember hearing that when the pumps are off water can still flow from the pump? causing disarster
    or is it when the air pumps are off? is there some sort of valve to stop this happening? aah im confused lol.

Thanks every1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gbcheeky View Post
    also im sure i remember hearing that when the pumps are off water can still flow from the pump? causing disarster
    or is it when the air pumps are off? is there some sort of valve to stop this happening? aah im confused lol
    after waking up and getting my brain in gear i relised what im after is a anti syphon thing to sit at the top of the res, so when the pumps off the water doesnt syphon out still. ive searched everywere i can think off and cannot find them?

a picture of what i mean is here, thanks to VMax
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...hmentid=102947
    Last edited by gbcheeky; 05-06-12 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,463 Times

This is the thingy, it came with the pump.

dont worry about flow rate, there is no way itll pump 750l of water outa 4 mm pipe in a min.
    my 1000l pump ran for 2 mins and only shifted 10l of water. you will get the timings when you start running it.i set mine once i saw runoff out the bottom.

Thanks

cheers Vmax, ive still yet to find one of these peices online, also checked the box the pump came in, but it didnt come with one google isnt finding me anything.

i may just do what u mentioned, i may pierce a little hole into the 13mm delivery pipe after the pump, hopefully this works.
    id probs be banned from growing if it syphons out and causes a mess.

GbCheeky

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,463 Times

ello mate, this isnt the same as mine but i think itll do the same job. a bit pricey for what you want though but along these lines.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-Return...item3a75558d18

or just a small hole in the pipe in the tank just above your top water line would do it. only problem i can see with this is if a bit of crud blocked the hole it could be a problem...a big one at that.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 12,996 Times

Hi there you only need an anti syphon if your res is higher than the drippers. If not then it will not syphon then you could just put a tap in the feed line to regulate exactly how much comes out of you drippers. As vmax quite rightly said you will not get 750ltrs out of 4mm pipe it probably better if you run your feed up in 16mm pipe and reduce down for your drippers with some of these. That way you will get an equall flow to al drip rings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03559.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	113823

Thanks

thanks vmax n greengaint..

Vmax, i checked that link mate and ill be more then happy to pay 6.99 for one.
    that and some 25mm pipe and ill have my system sorted

Greengaint, thanks for the info, my res is situated under the tray (so about a meter below the drippers)
    im currently using 16mm pipe from the pump, upto the tray, into a 8 way manifold which runs 8 lines all at 4mm.
    do you mean run the 16mm pipe right the way round the groom with 8 of them for the rings, and put a stopper at the end?

from pump > ---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+] like so?

thanks for helpin me out both of ya.

GbCheeky

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 12,996 Times

No mate if you have 16mm to a manifold its the same it will give an equall flow to all drippers. 25MM pipe is available at B&Q it just in the electrical section marked as 25mm electrical conjuit you will also find tank connectors of sorts to fit them there. You can heat this stuff over a lighteror in hot water and it will just slip onto your pump with no leaks.

Dont worry where all here to help each other. good luck with the build.

Thanks

nice one, ive been trying to hunt down some 25mm pipe, seem to be able to find 1 meter lengths cut or 25 meter roll so thanks for the heads up at BnQ ill have a look there. ive already made the system its a 1m x 1m tray with 2 holes in the center with two tank connectors fitted and sealed with fishtank sillicon, one for fresh nutes from res, the other run2waste, the tray is sat on breeze blocks with wood under to support. ive already worked out that 2 mins of the pump on through my drippers is about 1litre of water..
    ill get some pics once my girlys go in there new home, very soon
    Last edited by gbcheeky; 10-06-12 at 01:20 PM.