Thread: Stem Rot?

Thanks

Default Stem Rot?

Hello, I am a new grower with an 8 plant garden outdoors. Almost all of the plants look healthy, except a few. One of them looks to be very healthy everywhere but the base of the stem/stalk. Right where the stalk meets the soil, it looks as if there is a fungus or some type of rot on it. I'm not sure what it could be nor what to do about it. I have attached an image of the plant as well as a closer image of the stem. You can see that the plant looks healthy, but the stem is rotten causing the lower branches to droop and rest on the ground. Not sure what to do, please any help is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	117233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	117234  

Thanks

eazy sf grower first time ave seen pitures like this b4....evertthing migth b quite on tha home front mate but i think you mite ave 2 start diggind in the trenchez coz it lookz like a soil or nutruin desfencecy thatz gone wrong. it even might b a root block out thatz coursed it? am no jenius, only giving adive on what id do! Try takein the plant outa tha medium by breaking it all down from tha roots,and start again with some Root X L and sum Superverive, Its neva 2 late fam! PEACE......

3. Default

some one will be along to help ya mate but in the mean time dont water near the steam.

good luck

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,463 Times

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VMAX For This Useful Post:

Goodbuddy (22-06-12), Joe green (29-08-12), The Fringe (22-06-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,503 Times

Looks like stem rot.

Is the plant grown from seed or a cutting?
    If it was from a seed, then the problem is more than likely that when the plant was transferred from pot to soil it was put in the ground to low, you have branches almost under soil in that pic, & you always risk stem rot when you backfill over the height of the cotlydons (small first set of rounded leaves).

TF

ETA: nice read Vmax by the way.
    Just remember, there is a big difference between kneeling down, & bending over.... Frank Zappa
    The Fringe scrogs 3 Pyramids

Auto big devil grow

Mnt Cook & watering spike scrog

Fringes cellar project

The Fringe does Bubblicious

7. The Following User Says Thank You to The Fringe For This Useful Post:

VMAX (22-06-12)

Thanks

Thanks guys for the help. I believe it must be some sort of stem rot, but I'm not entirely sure what I can do about it. The plants started out as seedlings and have shown very good signs of growth up until recently. I have been using an organic fertilizer (fish emulsion 5-1-1) fairly often, but when I water I do get the stem wet at the base. Maybe I should just water around the plant rather than getting the stem wet?

The Fringe, when I transplanted them outside to my garden I didn't place them too low in the ground. The one plant that is experiencing this stem rotting symptom only has maybe another inch at most of its stem underground before the root system. And when I dig a little down to see if the stem below the surface is rotten, it looks just fine. The only rot visible is what was shown in the picture above the soil line. I don't know what I can do, I desperately want to save this plant because it was looking so healthy before this and I am also worried about spreading the disease to the other plants in the garden. I've read about using hydrogen peroxide but don't want to do more damage. Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to avoid using non-organic chemicals if possible. Thanks!

Thanks

Unhappy Almost same situation and need HELP!!

HI,
    This is my first time here and first time growing my own medicine. I have almost the EXACT same situation except the actual look of the problem. My plant is over 8ft and looks very healthy. It has just starting flowering 3 days ago. However, I noticed a "gash", about 4-6 weeks ago, in almost the same spot as his brown rot problem. The gash grew and has formed a split that is quite deep. I t is about 6inches long and 1/4 deep. I didn't know if it was normal because the plant is so big. About 3 days ago the bottom branches, which are big starting drooping and snapping off the stem. I AM FREAKED OUT!!! I have looked everywhere online and gone to a few shops and get different answer in all. Some have said there is no hope.
    Not knowing what to do when I started seeing ants in the "gash", I remembered seeing a sick tree with a gash being wrapped in mud or something with some sort of material. so I wrapped it with mud and cling wrap. Haven t removed it since but I just keep the "bandage" moist. Also the stem in that area has no cover and gets DIRECT sun! So I put something to block it today. I don't know what else to do. Went to the hydro store last night and guy said it was stem rot and no sense putting ANY KIND OF nutrient or treatment, because plant will not uptake them. btw, I have 8 other ones which all look fine and have begun flower few days ago. This plant shows pistils and that is it. My URGENT need to know something is about the big branch that came loose so much from the stem all the leaves and pistils died Immediately. I do know the plant is in shock, so I just clipped off all dead leaves, cleaned branch completely, and left attached and anchored with twine . I didnt want to cut it and leave open wound on stem. Is that right??Sorry so wordy, but didn't know how much info I should give. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?!! I am freaking out!! This is my biggest baby!! ty ty ty This is from clone. If that matters.
    Last edited by leelaw18; 29-08-12 at 07:27 PM. Reason: info

Thanks

Read my thread here

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-advice-needed

I thinks its a form of fusarium or canker

Hillbilly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Fringe View Post
    Looks like stem rot.

Is the plant grown from seed or a cutting?
    If it was from a seed, then the problem is more than likely that when the plant was transferred from pot to soil it was put in the ground to low, you have branches almost under soil in that pic, & you always risk stem rot when you backfill over the height of the cotlydons (small first set of rounded leaves).

TF

ETA: nice read Vmax by the way.
    I always plant my plants up to there first real leafs and haven't had a problem, but I don't live over where there's high humidity all the time..