Thread: Cross-breeding Weed with other plants

Jinx91 Guest

Default Cross-breeding Weed with other plants

Evening all,

I was sitting down today, I sometimes like to think about random things, whether it be the universe or economic theory. Anywho, there I was, sitting down quietly in my "zone" and I wondered, what if cannabis could be bred with other plants?

Now, before you call me crazy, I did some reading and apparently cannabis was successfully bred with hops but the resin could not be produced.

Does anybody know about cross-breeding cannabis with other plants? I think this is a fascinating subject area, if only Darwin were still alive!

So, any info and ideas would be great. Genuinely interested in this area.

Thanks for reading!

Jinx

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,621 Times

Can't be done really. There were attempts in the 70s to graft weed onto hops to make a sort of psychoactive hop that would be legal but it didn't work. Curiously grafting hops onto weed stock does work but the resulting flower has no THC & it's still illegal!!

As for cross-pollinating, I've never heard of it before. Weed is a distinct species so you can develop strains & phenotypes within the species but you can't breed it with other things from the same family like hops or nettles. I'm sure plenty have tried over the years but I've yet to hear of any success.

Unless anyone else knows different?

Hillbilly Guest

If it was Legal Monsanto would have done it by now taking the Gene that makes THC and putting it into other plants. But Monsanto don't want hemp or other Cannabis plants legal as it competes with there BS Cancer casing products and they would lose money!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,891 Times

You can't breed it with other plants but you can insert genes from other species to make a plant that doesn't look at all like cannabis but does produce trichomes with thc in the terpenes and this is being worked on in Holland if memory serves?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockster For This Useful Post:

Ganesha (29-06-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,916 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
    You can't breed it with other plants but you can insert genes from other species to make a plant that doesn't look at all like cannabis but does produce trichomes with thc in the terpenes and this is being worked on in Holland if memory serves?
    Damn, I had visions of brewing beer with cannahops for a minuet