Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hps VS Dual spectrum

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,214 Times

Hey skunk,

Dual spec bulbs ARE hps bulbs. Your mate talks bollox. The only difference is that they've been tweaked to add a bit more blue spectrum to the mix so that they're more suitable for all stages of growth. They're exactly the same as other standards hps bulbs (not the super hps) in terms of lumens, par watts, lifespan and ballast-type.

They're much better than pure hps for either stage of growth. This isn't opinion it's a scientific fact, and is precisely why they were developed in the first place because pure hps just doesn't supply enough blue spec. which plants need at all stages of growth to produce chlorophyl and trichs. (home growers mostly cannot use two bulbs to get the full spec)

They're not, however, better than metal halide for vegging. Those are the best vegging bulbs out of the three. Again this is not opinion it's a scientific fact.

MH for vegging

DS for flowering and vegging.

Pure HPS bulbs are pretty much becoming redundant for growing plants these days UNLESS they're used with supplemental blue lighting.

One benefit to pure hps is that you can get an extra 5000 lumens out of them.. but really that's just a massive ripoff sales gimmick. Compared side-by-side.. a plant will do better under the DS with 5k less lumens than a pure hps with no blue spec. Again.. even Sunmaster themselves will show that's scientifically proven.

Last edited by Tabbatha; 21-07-12 at 12:18 AM.
    I am the light of this forum and I am its mean twisted soul.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tabbatha For This Useful Post:

Bfg (29-01-17), Donzo (26-07-12), GEORGE (27-10-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,723 Times

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-10-17), RST101 (14-04-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,965 Times

Does your 'mate' run a grow shop?
    Sounds like sale's mans patter to me.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alzy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-10-17), Skunky. (21-07-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L View Post
    I smell bullshit.......
    I got a massive whiff of that too.

From start to finish you can use dual spec. They would have been developed to cut down on the number of bulbs needed for both stages.

My way of doing things is like this. I use both red and blue(separate bulbs) all the way through but what I do is add more blue in the veg then switch it over and add more red in flower. I have one 600w dual spec in a hood above, one 300w cfl in the hood above and I marry that with four 300w 6400k cfls hanging straight down - this is for veg. Then I switch to one 600w dual spec, one 600w 2700k HPS, three 300w 2700k cfls and two 6400k cfls hanging down the sides.

This is done with my mate Wilma.

Your approach will be fine using what you have, sweet.

Good luck.
    Last edited by RST101; 14-04-16 at 03:21 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RST101 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-10-17), Nftnewbiexx (14-04-16)

Thanks

About 5 years ago when the ballast companies massively pushed the 'dimmable' ballast I made a lot of enquiries as to why you may want to 'boost' the lumens in your bulb..Im cutting to the chase here as it went on and on...

The long and short of it... both Lumatek, first widely available dimmable ballast and Philips (leading supplier of dual spec hps bulbs/also as well as everyone else now also) work together...

The most effective way to use a dual spec bulb is; run at standard 600w selection on ballast while in veg (bluer light). When its time to flower, use same bulb, crank up to the 660 selection, more volts/current changes the behaviour of the dual spec into more red light and better for flowering...the other thing is that these lights arent really designed for us in cupboards and tents, its our ingenuity that makes it happen. They are designed first and foremost for the 'big' growers, of legal crops. Where that kind of light adaptation makes a real difference

This is also the same for the 400w and 1k dimmable ballasts...its like cold, then hot

yep...the penny dropped for me then as well. No need, porportedly for MH any more...big cost saving on big growing concerns. After all you didnt really think that the extra '60' wats of light from the 'superboost' made any difference did you?

Funnily enough, when using 400w I like the dual spec and the dimmable option right through. At 600w growing I like to use a 400w MH and a 660w super HPS. And when I grow 1k I grow 400w dual spec and 600w super hps together...they are all mixed lights

If you asked your growshop owners about this, if they are up on their stuff, they will confirm. If you know your onions in any case, you would all know that the most efective light spectrum would always be mixed...just like the sun.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to daddyO For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-10-17)

Thanks

Absolute noob question as ive been out the game for a while but do you need a balast to run a mh....or can you just screw it in your hps reflector? Thanks (god its been a while lol)
    tommorow il shave my balls and put my cock through a warm apple pie... mmmmmmmhhhhhooooooh

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-10-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

yes mate ballast for hps flower bulb or MH bulb. wouldnt risk not using a ballast. welcome back about matey

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Gary C (29-01-17), GEORGE (27-10-17)

Thanks

so the ballast for my 600w hps thats coming is good for a 250w mh aswell yeah? Cheers, I think alot of people i use to chat to on here have moved on....sad times lol

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-10-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

is it a digital adjustable ballast so has 250w 400w an 600w settings. aye mate way of life amigo lol. plenty of great chaps on here an am sure theres plenty names you will know still

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Gary C (29-01-17), GEORGE (27-10-17)

Thanks

no its just a standard fixed 600w ballast! yeahh im sure i will mate

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-10-17), joker_the_smoker (30-01-17)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast