Thread: Root rot, root oxygen starvation or some nutrient deficiency?¿?¿

Thanks

Default Root rot, root oxygen starvation or some nutrient deficiency?¿?¿

hi folks

i have a problem with my ladies this year. i am thinking it is root rot or root oxygen starvation. or is it a nutritional deficiency?¿?¿ can any body give me a heads up what is wrong with them?¿??¿ the plants are already flowering, in soil, in pots, well draining soil, ph good. the leaves are turning yellow / white in a day or 2 & falling off at an alarming rate.

thxs in advance

spanish grow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL371195.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	133499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL371198.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	133500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL371223.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	133501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL371229.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	133502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL371212.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	133503  

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,985 Times

Looks like lack of food ??????? Very poor info to go on.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,891 Times

If the soil is well drained and not water logged then it's just a case of a good feed methinks but could you please give us all the details like nutes and how often you feed and water and then we'll be better placed to advise you.

Icon Guest

Go into the infirmary and read the stiky there that tells you all the info to include so people can give accurate advice
    Thats the best way to get really good info off here for your problem

ATB
    Icon

Thanks

hi folks

i need some help & urgently. i feel like a complete cucumber. i did a really stupid mistake with my ladies this yr & i am hoping that there is a way out of this mess.

i suspect i introduced root rot to most of my plants by mistake. i had been filling 25 liter water jugs with water & leaving them outside so i had easy access to the water for my lovely ladies. i noticed some weeks ago that there was some algae on the interior of some of the water jugs but didnt think anything was amiss. the sun would hit the 25 liter jugs causing the algae & to heat the water. the jugs would only get about 2 hrs of partial sunlight daily but it was enough. i was watering with this warm & algae laden water. it never occurred to me that this was a big no - no. last yr i had the same problem but contributed it because of too small of pots for the plants, i replanted into bigger pots last yr & solved the problem somewhat, as the plants had already started to flower, growth was slow but they recovered & i had a pretty good harvest in the end.

this problem has only occurred in the last 2 yrs, before that i would lug the jugs of water into the attic into a nice & cool environment. i had stopped lugging the jugs inside last yr, because of a herniated disk in my lower back. walking awkwardly with 25 kgs for only 5 meters or so would do my back in for days. i have about 20 yrs experience growing outside in the ground but only 4 yrs growing in pots on my terrace. outside in the ground, i would always get my water from a hose, a fresh source of water. i have my ladies in 35 liter pots, with bought soil, ph balance good, well draining soil, something similar to perlite mixed in with the soil, was using plagron veg. fert. & am now using a flowering fert, all according to directions. i usually only water when the plant starts to droop a bit to avoid overwatering. the ladies have already started to bud. i am located in the north of spain, near the spanish / french border, at the feet of the spanish Pyrenees. plants start to bud up here around mid august, depending. they are usually finished around mid october, also depending if they are more indica or sativa.

i have found my plants symptoms on different forums on the internet - wilted leaves, yellowing of leaves, poor growth, poor color, leaves turning white & falling off within a day or 2, etc. some of the photos i have seen, could have been taken of my plants, so im convinced its root rot. plus, me playing sherlock holmes, i figured out all by my lonesome my screw up with the water.

i had bought some carbonated / seltzer water the other day & watered 2 of the plants with 4 liters of carbonated water to each plant, thinking that this carbonated water would help the situation. believe it or not, only after a day, i noticed that the plants picked up some. but the effect only lasted a day & then i was back to dyeing leaves, etc.

solutions i have taken so far to redeem the root rot -

1) watered with carbonated water, as mentioned above, but that was only a temporary solution, i need to conquer this.
    2) removed the water plates under the pots & have supported the pots so air can circulate freely under the pots.
    3) i flushed the pots with a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide ( h.p. ) & water today. gave them a heavy dose of this solution to flush out any air pockets & any stagnant water & hopefully to kill off some of the root rot. the solution i made was with 5 ml of 3 % h.p. to every 3 liters of water. i know that h.p. kills the good & bad bacteria that is in the dirt. no flowering ferts were given with todays watering. i have noticed in just about 6 hrs after watering with the h.p. solution, the plants look better.
    4) i have cleaned out my water jugs with a bleach & sand solution. the bleach to kill off the algae on the inside of the jugs & the sand to help scrap off any of the algae. adding a bit of sand to the water & bleach, you then shake the jugs vigorously. the sand helps to scrap & clean the inside of the jug. it works wonders. from here on out, i will only be using fresh water straight from the tap.

it really isnt an option to replant into bigger pots or remove the plants to clean the roots. so, i need some advice on how to kill off the root rot & reestablish the good bacteria. or at least nurse them along for the next 4 - 6 weeks till they are ready to be harvested. there are no grow shops in my area, so i am limited to the resources that i have available to me. so if any out there in cyber herb land could give a fellow grower a helping hand, i would really appreciate it.

questions -

1) what is the proper amount of 3% h.p. per liter of water should i use from here till harvest to keep the root rot at bay? there is only available 3% h.p. in my local shops.
    2) any additive i can add to my water to help kill the root rot & help to promote root growth? remember, i dont have a grow shop around the corner, we are pretty isolated up here. nearest grow shop is about a 1.5 hr drive away.
    3) should i be mixing the flowering fert with the h.p. water solution when i water? or should it be done separately, on separate days? should the flowering fert be at normal strength or less than the instructions indicate? the flowering fert is organic.
    4) is there any thing i can do to completely kill off the root rot in potted pot plants that are already budding?
    5) any other tips or heads up on this subject?
    6) should i not be using h.p. & use something else?

this has been an expensive lesson, believe you me!!!!!!!!

thanks for any help in advance!!!!!!!!!!

spanish grower

ps - the reason i didnt post this description initial was that on another forum a couple of people said that i included too much info & was being long winded.

Thanks

Ohh god the poor babies...NOOOO NOT THE CHILDREN