Thread: Looks like Sativex is based around Skunk#1

Thanks

Default Looks like Sativex is based around Skunk#1

Came across some interesting info about the strains used by GW Pharma in relation to Sativex.
    It seems that their chief breeder is none other than Sam The Skunkman and their initial grows are therefore probably based around his skunk#1.

Article confirming the purchase of Sam The Skunkman's current genetics (and all his future creations) by GWP:

http://www.gwpharm.com/23july1998.aspx

Article confirming the importation to USA of skunk#1 seeds from Sam's company:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...pdf/erp210.pdf

The 2nd article contains this quote...

Materials and methods
    Plant growth and gland isolation
    Seeds from the marijuana cultivar Skunk no. 1 were provided
    by HortaPharm BV (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
    and imported under a US Drug Enforcement Administration
    (DEA) permit to a registered controlled substance research
    facility. Plants were grown under hydroponic conditions in
    a secure growth chamber yielding cannabinoid levels in
    mature plants as reported in Datwyler and Weiblen (2006).

An interesting thought that occurred to me on reading the 2nd article was that it would appear to debunk the old G13 myth. It makes little sense to engineer a super plant such as G13 and then ignore it in favour of some skunk#1 beans bought online from the Dam!

One other thing worthy of note is that Israel announced back in July that it had created a medical strain called Avidekel which has around 16% CBD and negligible amounts of THC. Afraid there isn't enough info on it yet to determine if Sam The Skunkman had a hand in its creation but it bodes well for medical MJ that the thc can be bred out, as that could lead to a plant that is not illegal. Something which would surely allow much more research by removing the current red tape.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sorbyl For This Useful Post:

C21H30O2 (23-10-12), cannamancan (15-10-12), Duke1 (13-04-13), eyes wide shut (15-10-12), Mazzer (15-10-12), Oldwolf (13-04-13), Stirruphead (11-04-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,163 Times

I've always wondered what the US gov is growing. Whatever what his name gets I suppose must make up some of their genetics. I can't imagine they have many though.

Thanks

Makes me laugh when I hear David Cameron saying you shouldn't grow dope.
    But you grow it David, for medicine.
    Ah but it's not like that stuff you all smoke, that Skunk. It wasn't like that 40 years ago, you know.
    Yeah that skunk stuff Dave. The very same man who claims responsibility for skunk, Is growing it in England, under licence provided by you.
    More enlightened people than me have been remarking about Sams crusade to have all the genetics available. So that he can breed his skunk into it, thus having all patenting rights to everything once it's all legalized. Monsanto Sam as he's been called. Smart move if it's true.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sorbyl View Post
    One other thing worthy of note is that Israel announced back in July that it had created a medical strain called Avidekel which has around 16% CBD and negligible amounts of THC. Afraid there isn't enough info on it yet to determine if Sam The Skunkman had a hand in its creation but it bodes well for medical MJ that the thc can be bred out, as that could lead to a plant that is not illegal. Something which would surely allow much more research by removing the current red tape.
    Don't think having a strain which is low in THC would change the legal status as the people who would have to make that change are already making millions off the back of GWP who would almost certainly do everything they could to make sure that strain was never available to the public unless it came from a bottle with their name on it

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,303 Times

i say fuck gwp and they can stick there extortion were the sun dont shine!i will never accept that anyone has the right to withhold such a valuable medicine through pure greed and patenting or whatever is a fucking outrage they lecture us on the one hand,and extort us on the other,these people are leeches,worse than the fucking street dealers!fuck them up and just grow our own i reckon.sorry about all the swearing but jesus it makes me mad!!!!!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Duke1 For This Useful Post:

Mindless (14-04-13), Oldwolf (14-04-13), Stirruphead (15-04-13)

Cuda Guest

Quote Originally Posted by duke1 View Post
    i say fuck gwp and they can stick there extortion were the sun dont shine!i will never accept that anyone has the right to withhold such a valuable medicine through pure greed and patenting or whatever is a fucking outrage they lecture us on the one hand,and extort us on the other,these people are leeches,worse than the fucking street dealers!fuck them up and just grow our own i reckon.sorry about all the swearing but jesus it makes me mad!!!!!
    Here here duke old boy. Thats the spirit. Fuck em!!! Fuck em all to hell!!!! Robbing criminal dictating mother fuckers!!!!! Fuck them and their fat fuckin wallets telling us what we can and cant do with our own existence!!!! Fuckin fuck em all!!! Fuckin cunts!!!! (now thats swearing lol )

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuda For This Useful Post:

Stirruphead (15-04-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duke1 View Post
    Well it’s not just GWP who are trying this sort of shit, Monsanto are currently trying to exploit a loop hole in European legislation which would allow them to patent various types of fruit and veg seeds so that you will have to pay them royalties to use them, have a read of this it’s unreal.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/monsanto_vs_...?fEVmebb&pv=26

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,303 Times

before long the likes of these opertunist scum bags will have the worlds food supply by the balls,if we let them get away with this ,what next?air?water? i dont think any one has the right to do this yet they keep getting away with it.i will continue to make my own seeds and say fuck them.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duke1 For This Useful Post:

Bigred85 (17-04-13), red eye knight (17-04-13)