Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: EC, ph & water levels. What they tell you and how to react.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Everyday without fail if I can't the missus will things can change so quick I wouldn't risk it and it takes a minute and on average they need a top up anyway later on,
    Atb
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-03-19), GrassLeaf87 (04-02-16)

Thanks

Dwc in a nutshell

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tizzay For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-03-19), redisiel (07-01-17)

Thanks

Guys… if people are still reading this thread, here’s what’s really confusing me. I have hard water, EC 0.6.

Now, my understanding is that EC itself is simply a way of measuring the amount of nutrients in the water – nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus etc. The more of them you add, the higher the EC. OK.

But my confusion comes from advice on various forums and guides telling me that I have to include the natural EC of my water in the total.

Now I think that means, if I want an EC of 1.8, I’m already starting from 0.6, so I just need to add enough nutrients (Canna Vega at this stage) to give it an extra 1.2.

That’s simple enough, except… the 0.6 of the water is caused by different salts (mostly calcium and magnesium, I think) from the ones in the Canna Vega, eg NPK, which the plant needs to grow. So if I only add 1.2 of Canna Vega to achieve a total EC of 1.8, the composition of my growth medium will be very different than if I’d started off with (say) distilled water, and added a lot more Canna Vega to bring it up to the 1.8.

What am I missing please?
    Thanks

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hogweed For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-03-19), redisiel (07-01-17), toblue (15-11-19)

Thanks

Your not missing anything mate, try not to overthink it.
    Just go by the ec on whatever water you will be using and you are going to start feeding at a certain amount and up it as needed. Just worry about the water you are using.
    If your going to use RO or distilled it's a different story all together because there's a lot more to it than the calcium and magnesium there's lots of trace elements.

Your background is not far off mine 0.7 and I also use vega and all seems to be great
    Atb

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (07-01-17), GEORGE (18-03-19), Hogweed (07-01-17), marcus (27-01-20)

Thanks

Sadly, being a touch OCD, not over-thinking is not an option with me, so what I try to do is at least make the excessive analysis bear fruit! OK, so whatever my water starts off at, if the feed manufacturer recommends 1.2, I should simply add nutrients till I get to 1.2, and take quiet satisfaction from the fact that I only have to use half as much feed as somebody who starts off with water which is 0.0 (if there were such a thing)…?

I’m seriously pissed off with the pH meter I bought (pic attached – avoid). First one wouldn’t calibrate properly as they hadn’t supplied the correct sachets for hard water. They sent me another complete meter, with the correct sachets – but both meters calibrate very differently with the same sachets, so I don’t know which (if either) to trust.

So the mixture appeared to jump way up into the 7’s, I put a drop of phosphoric acid in, and it went down to 4.4 FFS. So I’m using the other meter now, as I think the first one was reading too high, and have managed to get the pH back to 5.8.

Seems like a hell of a faff though… maybe I’ll grow in soil or something next time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meter.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	338099  

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hogweed For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-03-19), redisiel (07-01-17)

Thanks

Don't worry.
    For one as for nutrients forget how much the bottle says.
    You want to start at a low feed so like I say just go by your water your using, I'm going to flick back and see where we're at again sand sub to the right diary.
    We do want to sort the ph meter though.
    The last one you used you said it collaborated properly right?
    and ph down is strong shit I would do that a drop at a time if I were you mate
    Blessings
    Redz

12. The Following User Says Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-03-19)

Thanks

OK I've figured one meter is OK, the other one's fucked, so using the first one at 5.8.

So my total feed (including the water measurement) is coming up at 0.88 - I know you're saying forget how much the bottle says, but the Canna Aqua Vega site says I should be on 1.1 + 0.6, ie 1.7... seems a lot more than were I am...?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hogweed For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-03-19), redisiel (08-01-17)

Thanks

Ok my background ec is 0.8 so I started my lady's on 1.2 that means there first feed was 0.3. We are going to let the plants tell us when to up it you can even start at 0.2 if you like. And we want to see the ph either stay how it is for now and hopefully get a slow swing up or down?
    I still ain't Seen the ladies in question so I'm just basing this on seedlings/cuts going in a new system or pot
    Redz

16. The Following User Says Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-03-19)

Thanks

Right, I can see I'm going to have to go completely against my nature, and keep proper records...

So this morning we have pH 6.25, EC .876.

I'll do nothing till this evening, then measure it again...

Here's a pic - there's only one lady at the moment, as I'm just easing myself into this gently and as simply as possibly!

If you wanted to do it simply, you shouldn't have chosen hydro, I hear you say...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3192.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	338116  

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hogweed For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-03-19), redisiel (11-01-17)

Thanks

GAAAHHHHH. Just keep screwing up here. Because the pictures on eBay were the same, I accidentally bought an Essentials EC meter instead of an Essentials pH meter, so now I’ve had to order the pH meter too.

However… while the nasty little blue EC meter I had is reading around 871 (suspiciously, it doesn't seem to be moving much from there, though the plant seems to be growing strongly), the new Essentials EC meter reads 3.5!

Now, I thought the blue meter needed to be divided by 1000 to get a reading that people can understand, so I’ve believed my reading so far to be around 0.8 – 0.9. So how the hell can I relate that to 3.5 on the Essentials meter??? I’m assuming the little blue meter is talking complete shite, but of course I don’t know…

Thanks guys

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hogweed For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-03-19), redisiel (11-01-17)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast