Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: carbon filter outside the tent ok?

Thanks

Default carbon filter outside the tent ok?

what I wanted to do is have the fan inside the tent with the ducting going from the fan to the carbon filter outside, and have the filter sitting on the ground. It is pretty heavy and I dont 100% trust the tents strength. It feels ok but if it broke whilst I was at work and feel down with the light on it could start a fire. so could I do it this way?
    also I dont need the carbon filter whilst vegging do I? I remember a few years ago when I grew that the plant didnt smell whilst vegging.

paul333 Guest

Your tent will easily be able to support the weight of the filter. And, you will need you the fan going during all of the grow to keep heat down and the plants will start to smell about week 4/5 of veg. Check out some of the growroom set-ups on here, I think most people hang the fan from the matal frame by either string or, as I did, bungees. Hope this helps.

Thanks

having the filter on the outside of the tent would mean blowing air out of the filter and i dont think they are designed to work that way around.

Thanks

It will hang fine from the frame of the tent on chains etc..
    Its designed to hold them

And I also believe the filter works by pulling the smell through it from the outside so it would need to be in the tent.

Thanks

Alright gonzo , you can push air through a carbon filter but as above the frame should support the filter making it more stealthy
    Peace bro Finns

Thanks

Hope this ease's your mind a little bit

Notice i also have a full size desktop ocelating fan and a silencer which is as large as the Filter on the opposite end to it it also on chains..

It has NO trouble with these what so ever

Last edited by Ironlung; 24-03-09 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
    Hope this ease's your mind a little bit

Notice i also have a full size desktop ocelating fan and a silencer which is as large as the Filter on the opposite end to it it also on chains..

It has NO trouble with these what so ever

my filter seems bigger, but I guess it should be ok.

I think I have the same tent as you too! same yo yo`s as well. I have a cool tube though....

cheers guys.

Thanks

I have my carbon filter in the loft and I'm sucking out of the tent and then blowing out through the filter and it works an absolute treat. I'm six weeks into flower and there are no smells in the loft at all

I may be defeating the purpose of the "prefilter" which is the white stuff wrapped around the filter, but I'm still passing through the charcoal aren't I?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please do not use "image hosting" websites to host your grow pics. It's unsafe for you the uploader and us the viewers. Stick to using thctalk as your image host, it's free and won't get deleted.

To find out how to use thctalk galleries to host your image, click here to view my illustrated & easy to follow instructions.

When shooting photos of your plants, do they always come out blurry? Check out the plant photography thread here. Feel free to add to it if you have any tips.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    I have my carbon filter in the loft and I'm sucking out of the tent and then blowing out through the filter and it works an absolute treat. I'm six weeks into flower and there are no smells in the loft at all

I may be defeating the purpose of the "prefilter" which is the white stuff wrapped around the filter, but I'm still passing through the charcoal aren't I?
    yeah, Im confused cause the weight of my filter is pretty bad and it does worry me if oneday someday somehow it colapses which could cause a fire.
    I was told by the hydro dude that it is ok doing it the way you said.

would that be extra pressure on the fan? or make very little difference?

also it seems smaller in the tent with the filter etc....would like it out of the tent..... ill just put on milk crates BEHIND the tent....anyhow, no one will be going into the room.

what ya think? anyone else do it this way?

Thanks

You'll be fine either pushing or pulling through the carbon filter... They are 'designed' to have air "FLOW" through them. Whether it be in or out it does not matter.

As long as you get the stinky air past the activated carbon before it hits somebody's Olfactory Gland (their sniffer) you'll be fine...

And Yes JUDAS your still moving past activated carbon so that is why it's working... The pre-filter is just to remove large particles from getting sucked into the fan and clogging up the pours in the actual carbon filter part...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast