Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes

Thanks

Default Diabetes

Morning all! Anyone else here diabetes or have diabetic family members?
    I've been type1 (insulin dependant) for 12 years, since I was 30, yeah I know old bastard eh!
    My old man had it since he was 12 and as a kid I remember a lot of times him going hypo (low blood sugar). Quite scary if you've never seen it before but everyone reacts different. Mum used to call out ambulance on quite a few occasions.
    I know with the way we live our lives, poor diet, no exercize, drinking, smoking etc, that diabetes is on the increase and people should be mindful of the fact.
    It is manageable and it's not like you've been told you got cancer or shit like that, but do see a lot of people in general life thinking they are an invalid for having it and get down about it.

Early warning signs.
    Constant thirst
    Going for a piss all the time
    Loss of appetite and weight loss

I don't claim to be an expert at all on the matter, but have had it long enough now to have a good understanding.

When I was diagnosed I'd lost 2 stone over a period of about a month and had a blood sugar reading of 30, normal is 5-9.

If you're worried get down the docs and get yourself checked out, only takes 10 seconds

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences and maybe can give out some advice if needed

The Doc

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dr_ONE For This Useful Post:

420pop (23-02-13), FoxyLady (09-03-13), Goodbuddy (09-03-13), Sensi Head (23-02-13), vapour (23-02-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 11,409 Times

my mum just developed this dont know how or why we dont talk much she a bit of a twat lol, dont know how you do it though checking all the time, i know its something i would forget bad bad memory lol

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stonedbunny For This Useful Post:

Dr_ONE (23-02-13), vapour (23-02-13)

Thanks

Morning Bun, your Mum on tablets? It's like anything, you get on with it and adapt, it's also a good blag to get out of stuff, I tell my missus I'm having a bit of a turn to get out of loads of stuff! hehe (slippery bastard)

I'm sure my memory is shitter than yours hun but I manage

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 11,409 Times

yer she on tablets the now but getting worse apparently, thats a man thing any excuse to get out of stuff lol

Thanks

Tabs in my opinion are harder, you gotta be more on the ball with you diet and stuff. If I want to eat a whole chocolate cake, I will, and just jab meself with enough insulin to cover it. I don't think tabs work like that tho.
    Hope your mum gets sorted with it, they might stick her on insulin if she gets worse

Jinx91 Guest

Good on you Dr, I'm in my early 20s but I'm definitely on the look out for strokes, diabetes and many other health problems that can really be a problem in later life if not caught early. Good thread.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jinx91 For This Useful Post:

Dr_ONE (23-02-13)

Thanks

Saw this a few days ago. Might be of interest....http://scienceblogs.com/lifelines/20...pe-1-diabetes/

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tricone For This Useful Post:

Dr_ONE (23-02-13), FoxyLady (09-03-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tricone View Post
    Saw this a few days ago. Might be of interest....http://scienceblogs.com/lifelines/20...pe-1-diabetes/
    I have heard good things on the gene therapy subject for type 1, looks promising

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx91 View Post
    Good on you Dr, I'm in my early 20s but I'm definitely on the look out for strokes, diabetes and many other health problems that can really be a problem in later life if not caught early. Good thread.
    Cheers mate, appreciate the comment

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr_ONE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,084 Times

Default Diabetes

My old mans had it for about 10 years now, went to docs and they did a random blood sugar test (prick on the finger) and it came in at 18.5 so pretty high! Average is around 5/6 I think.
    His parents both have/had it along with my other grand parents so obviously runs in the family I should really watch the sugars I eat too!

Another couple of signs are sore feet (diabetics have bad circulation as well a lot of the time) they'll feel itchy all the time.
    And also your eyes deteriorate too.
    Always worth buying a kit and pricking yourself id guess around 4/10 people are probably over the average.
    - Tom
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?101620-Tom-s-Barneys-Farm-Blue-CHeese-Scrog-Round-2 >>> Current

Barney's Farm Blue Cheese diary completed >>> https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...e-Cheese-scrog

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom10 For This Useful Post:

Dr_ONE (23-02-13)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast