Thread: defoliating some leaves by leaving 3 leaf margines!!!

Thanks

Default defoliating some leaves by leaving 3 leaf margines!!!

hey peeps i have a question about defoliating leaves!!!
    now i know it is not a good idea to defoliat a lot of fan leaves from the top half of the plant and its not really good practice to defoliat unless your lolly popping the bottom of plants!!!
    so i was thinking that instead of pulling off whole fan leaves from the top half of the plant to let light penatrate beneath the canopy to reach those scraggly buds that dont really get much light i was thinking that maybe cutting off a few leaf margins per large fan leaf that were blocking out light penetration would be ok to help let some light through to the bottom half of the plant but im not shore if leaving 3 or so leaf margins on fan leaves that were blocking out light would be sufficient enough to still act as solar panels so to speak for the plant!!!
    my concern is that leaves normally have 7 leaf margines and by only leaving some fan leaves with 3 leaf margines im not shore if that would stress the plant out and reduce yield in some way by not having enough leaf margines on some fan leaves to act like solar panels!!!

here are some pictures of what i mean and i know that i have taken the whole leaf off the plant but i only did that for this demonstration so lets still pretend that the leaf is still attached to the plant!!!!

a whole leaf

these are the leaf margines i would take off

so now you would be left with 3 leaf margines instead of 7 to help let light penatrate beneath the canopy and hopfully its enough leaf margines to still act like solar panels for the plant

so what do you think people!!!
    do you think its a good or a bad idea!!!
    do you think it would effect bud size for the better by letting light penatrate the bottom half of the plant or for the worse by stressing the plant out in some way and maybe decreasing yield due to the fact that some fan leaves only have 3 leaf margines instead of 7!!!!
    it definitely lets more light through to the bottom half of the plant as ive tried it on a few top leaves so tell me what you think peeps!!!!

Thanks

ok there not all supposed to be the same picture and ive messed up as this is my first time adding pictures to a message so i will add the other 2 pictures up now!!!!

thease are the leaf margines i would take off

so now you would be left with 3 leaf margines instead of 7 to help penatrate the canopy and hopfuly its enough leaf margines to still act like solar panels

3. The Following User Says Thank You to oo MR BUD oo For This Useful Post:

Dr Plough (28-03-14)

Thanks

Thanks

well i cant get the other picture up lol but you can see in the picture above that once you take the 4 leaf margines away that your left with the bigger 3!!!!

i like it. id love to know how this works out

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,924 Times

Have you got more than one plant so you can test against another if this works if so you need to try it and put it in the experement section
    The only problem I can see is the plant may use up energy to try to heal the leaves dude but there's only one way to find out for sure one plant defoliated and one not on the same feed in the same conditions and record your findings .

Atb
    Plough

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Plough For This Useful Post:

bushgrower (28-03-14)

Thanks

Sounds time consuming, fiddly, possibly detrimental to the plant.....

I approve of thinking outside the box, but if that fine and healthy leaf was a typical example of the leaves on the plant I'd leave them the fuck alone and carry on doing what you're doing.
    I refuse to believe that removing healthy energy efficient leaves can have a positive effect on the final yield.

And yes, I have tried standard defoliation to see for myself one way or the other.

I conclude it's best to leaf them alone.

Thanks

I do a similar thing. I select what to remove depending on if its blocking light. I usually take the middle one out to let light though. (or middle three if its a big one)