Thread: female flowers on male plant

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,056 Times

Default female flowers on male plant

I am currently having a little toy around with a bit of breeding - i currently have 3 ak x misty males in my growdrobe on 12/12 ,all of which are different phenos. while having a look at them today i noticed a few pistils poking out of the male flower clusters on 1 of the males !!!! anyone else have any experience of this ? and if so i take it i'm better of binning the offending maleshe ??? G

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,380 Times

Interesting, a male plant forced hermie.
    Assuming that this wasn't in fact a genetic hermie but a forced hermie, then the pollen should be unaffected and assuming it polinates a standard female should produce regular seeds. Nothing too exciting.
    However, If you let this plant polinate itself. It should (i think) produce Masculinized (all male) seeds. Which, while not practical for everybody, could be of some use to the breeding types.

I'd be interested to hear some follow up on this if you end up doing anything with it.

Peace

Mechanisms of sex determination

Cannabis has been described as having one of the most complicated mechanisms of sex determination among the dioecious plants.[60] Many models have been proposed to explain sex determination in Cannabis.

Based on studies of sex reversal in hemp, it was first reported by K. Hirata in 1924 that an XY sex-determination system is present.[58] At the time, the XY system was the only known system of sex determination. The X:A system was first described in Drosophila spp in 1925.[61] Soon thereafter, Schaffner disputed Hirata's interpretation,[62] and published results from his own studies of sex reversal in hemp, concluding that an X:A system was in use and that furthermore sex was strongly influenced by environmental conditions.[59]

Since then, many different types of sex determination systems have been discovered, particularly in plants.[53] Dioecy is relatively uncommon in the plant kingdom, and a very low percentage of dioecious plant species have been determined to use the XY system. In most cases where the XY system is found it is believed to have evolved recently and independently.[63]

Since the 1920s, a number of sex determination models have been proposed for Cannabis. Ainsworth describes sex determination in the genus as using "an X/autosome dosage type".[53]

Dense raceme of carpellate flowers typical of drug-type varieties of Cannabis

The question of whether heteromorphic sex chromosomes are indeed present is most conveniently answered if such chromosomes were clearly visible in a karyotype. Cannabis was one of the first plant species to be karyotyped; however, this was in a period when karyotype preparation was primitive by modern standards (see History of Cytogenetics). Heteromorphic sex chromosomes were reported to occur in staminate individuals of dioecious "Kentucky" hemp, but were not found in pistillate individuals of the same variety. Dioecious "Kentucky" hemp was assumed to use an XY mechanism. Heterosomes were not observed in analyzed individuals of monoecious "Kentucky" hemp, nor in an unidentified German cultivar. These varieties were assumed to have sex chromosome composition XX.[64] According to other researchers, no modern karyotype of Cannabis had been published as of 1996.[65] Proponents of the XY system state that Y chromosome is slightly larger than the X, but difficult to differentiate cytologically.[66]

More recently, Sakamoto and various co-authors[67][68] have used RAPD to isolate several genetic marker sequences that they name Male-Associated DNA in Cannabis (MADC), and which they interpret as indirect evidence of a male chromosome. Several other research groups have reported identification of male-associated markers using RAPD and AFLP.[17][41][69] Ainsworth commented on these findings, stating,

It is not surprising that male-associated markers are relatively abundant. In dioecious plants where sex chromosomes have not been identified, markers for maleness indicate either the presence of sex chromosomes which have not been distinguished by cytological methods or that the marker is tightly linked to a gene involved in sex determination.[53]

Environmental sex determination is known to occur in a variety of species.[70] Many researchers have suggested that sex in Cannabis is determined or strongly influenced by environmental factors.[59] Ainsworth reviews that treatment with auxin and ethylene have feminizing effects, and that treatment with cytokinins and gibberellins have masculinizing effects.[53] It has been reported that sex can be reversed in Cannabis using chemical treatment.[71] A PCR-based method for the detection of female-associated DNA polymorphisms by genotyping has been developed.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mysteri0n For This Useful Post:

G_UNIT (04-05-13), RastaMouse22 (10-05-13)

Thanks

interesting read and by interesting i actually mean it's probably gonna take me a few hours and a few re-reads to digest that shizzle . I don't consider it a forced hermie though man tbh - conditions have been perfect as with the rest of my plants and it's in perfect health . G

Bobby Digital Guest

got a pic?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby Digital For This Useful Post:

G_UNIT (04-05-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,322 Times

isn't this what happened to rockster's exodus cutting? could very well be wrong though, i cant trust my head these days.. all those people trying to find me said so
    “The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum.” Noam Chomsky

Stay Close to the soil, its good for the soul.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to psychocannanaut For This Useful Post:

G_UNIT (04-05-13)

Thanks

i did try and take a pic bobby but i only have the camera on my phone atm which is shit tbh . Although it's too late to worry about it now lol s it's in the rabbit ..... quite literally . G

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G_UNIT For This Useful Post:

psychocannanaut (04-05-13)

Thanks

I have had hermaphrodites plants that are male and female . You have to kill them or they will seed up your buds and you will never know if you have a pure female .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stillsmoken2 View Post
    I have had hermaphrodites plants that are male and female . You have to kill them or they will seed up your buds and you will never know if you have a pure female .
    hes got all males in the tent

Thanks

ok you guys are more advanced then I am sorry.lol