Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Flushing in organic

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sourshoes View Post
    I think if you're flushing, the goal is to flush excess salt based nutrients from the media to force the plant to use excess nutrients within itself during the last 2 weeks. I lile tp think of it being bloated after a big meal, then dont eat for awhile and things get better. The food doesnt dissapear though.

You can't flush the nutrients out of the plant though... Doesn't work that way.

Sent from space
    But then there should be a significant difference in the study between flushed and not in terms of nutrient composition of the plant tissue. If the plant is depleting its own stores then there shouldnl be a difference? Shouldn't there? but the study says this is not the case and that flushing does not effect end nutrient levels/composition.
    Last edited by Gaz; 06-04-19 at 03:52 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

gardro (06-04-19), GEORGE (06-04-19), IceCalibur (06-04-19)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Nice and to be honest where my thoughts are already headed but only if the desired out come is to remove nutrients from the plant. Maybe something else is going on that is creating the large scale anecdotal merits of a flush at the end of the grow.

But excellent example man of employing critical thinking to widely excepted beliefs. Lol some where in amongst the growers and the scientists squateth the toad of truth
    Nice find Icecalibur
    Thanks mate, yeah was surprised to have found it to be honest

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

gardro (06-04-19), Gaz (06-04-19), GEORGE (06-04-19), scoobywho (17-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,313 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    But then there should be a significant difference in the study between flushed and not in terms of nutrient composition of the plant tissue. If the plant is depleting its own stores then there shouldnl be a difference? Shouldn't there? but the study says this is not the case and that flushing does not effect end nutrient levels/composition.
    This is the rationale in hydro/coco grows. I would assume cannabis grown in a medical facility (as was in your study) is grown properly and shouldnt have an excess of nutrients to begin with.

Sent from space

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sourshoes For This Useful Post:

gardro (06-04-19), Gaz (06-04-19), GEORGE (06-04-19), scoobywho (17-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Great find that Ice nice one

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Gaz (06-04-19), GEORGE (06-04-19), IceCalibur (06-04-19), scoobywho (17-09-19)

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    Great find that Ice nice one
    Thanks gardro..was happy and surprised to find there was some paperwork on the subject

Having read through it a little and reading the conclusion, according to this study ;

It seems that flushing does not (significantly) remove any of the fundamental nutrients I initially perceived to be flushing ( Nitrogen, Sulphur, Phosphorus, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium )

However it is also found that using water only for the last 2 weeks has no impact on yield, thus saving money on 'fertilizer'

After testing the nutrient concentrations from each treatment from three separate experiments, there were no significant differences in nutrient levels between any treatments within each experiment. This result showed that the intended purpose of flushing to reduce nutrient concentrations within the bud has no effect. These data show that for the last two weeks of the flower cycle for cannabis, it was possible to use no fertilizer water for irrigation with no significant impact on yield while saving input costs on fertilizer.
    I am going to run some personal tests as soon as I'm up and running again, testing the differences for 3-4 grows.
    Last edited by IceCalibur; 06-04-19 at 04:46 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

gardro (06-04-19), Gaz (06-04-19), GEORGE (06-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Thanks gardro..was happy and surprised to find there was some paperwork on the subject

Having read through it a little and reading the conclusion, according to this study ;

It seems that flushing does not (significantly) remove any of the fundamental nutrients I initially perceived to be flushing ( Nitrogen, Sulphur, Phosphorus, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium )

However it is also found that using water only for the last 2 weeks has no impact on yield, thus saving money on 'fertilizer'

I am going to run some personal tests as soon as I'm up and running again, testing the differences for 3-4 grows.
    Were all the more informed

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Gaz (06-04-19), GEORGE (06-04-19), IceCalibur (06-04-19), scoobywho (17-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 12,290 Times

A proper flush is done with a TDS meter imo.

When the water going in TDS matches the TDS of the water coming out you’re done.

I did exactly that on my first grow took a lot of water tho lol.

GROW DIARY LINKS:

When I mentored LewisR >>>
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...red-by-Squaggy

Squaggy does Coco. (Mentored by Bud Lightyear) >> https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...Bud-Lightyear)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Squaggy For This Useful Post:

Gaz (14-04-19), GEORGE (06-04-19), scoobywho (17-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,221 Times

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Hey, not trying to be a nitpicker, but the boffin was talking about nutrients from the bud, not from the leaves, which I think is what we look for in the yellowing leaves, or presumably the rest of the plant.

The entire flush or no flush debate is very interesting. I'd be surprised if any food we buy from the supermarket have had any flushing (pffftt, I'd be surprised if they have not had "chemicals" sprayed on them LOL) yet generally no one bats an eyelid.

In my limited experience the organic grow smelt much stronger, but that could be due to a whole host of variables. And I flushed too, not because of scientific studies, but just a protocol carried over from the past.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

gardro (14-04-19), Gaz (14-04-19), GEORGE (14-04-19), scoobywho (17-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Default Flushing in organic

How do you flush a twenty acre field in which we are growing organic potatoes.
    Imho opinion this is not viable and would never happen.
    I've never flushed anything I've grown in dirt.
    Do you flush a apple tree or just eat the fruit when it's ripe

in a green and pleasant land

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

gardro (14-04-19), Gaz (14-04-19), GEORGE (14-04-19), scoobywho (17-09-19)

Thanks

It sounds as though its a good practice but why would a plant release its life blood in any particular different way just because of how it was fed.

I assume some have over fed in organic and mineral and made toxic plants before. I'm sure they tasted a bit strong.

Theres always a placebo effect when your mind "thinks up" a particular outcome based on preconceived beliefs.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Gaz (14-04-19), GEORGE (14-04-19), scoobywho (17-09-19)

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast