Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Importance Of Leaves.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    There seems to be a lot of confusion when it comes to the leaves on your plants, hopefully this brief guide will show how important leaves are and the job that they do...

Like most plants, Cannabis grows leaves from the moment it appears from the soil, the leaves have a vital job...

Photosynthesis - Simply explained, photosynthesis is the process by which plants and few other organisms use to transform light energy into chemical energy.
    Plants get their green color from the chlorophyll found inside the leaf cells, plants use this chlorophyll to collect the energy from the sun rays to create the food they need.

The Leaf - If you were to examine a leaf from your plant under a microscope you will see many tiny cells and holes (see below), these allow for light and (CO2) to be absorbed from the environment. Through the process of photosynthesis this light is then converted into sugars and various other compounds which then travels down the leaf stem and feeds the plant.

So in summary...
    Leaves are essential for the well-being of your plant. If you remove the leaves you are restricting the photosynthesis process and basically slowing down the growth and affecting the health of the plant.
    When the leaves have done their job they will eventually turn yellow/brown and will drop of naturally.

So DON'T pick them off!
    Nice one, GRUB. !! Simplistic ! Cheers >>>>>> BUDallthetime>>>>> Man, there has been a'lot of debates about picking off leaves. Well Done, Makes Sense... Well, at least I learned something new today and my ears are still open...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BUDAllTheTime For This Useful Post:

Grub (06-04-11), K.D.R.G.M. (22-10-12), turbotoker (16-04-11), wazza (13-01-12)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,184 Times

i think its worth mentioning that these rules dont apply (as much) to someone doing a scrog as you need to be willing to cut off the leaves that need removing. and theres usually a lot of em lol
    cheers

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,269 Times

there is a common misconception that the light only produces results in the area where it falls, the plant is a whole being !

ie, you put food and water in your mouth and get sunshine on your head, but your toenails still grow!
    ...the never ending journey on the edge of time...

Five years, not banned yet!

5. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to katy For This Useful Post:

British green (29-04-16), Danboi420 (12-07-17), dark elementz (27-05-14), Fieldy (10-10-12), Goodbuddy (17-08-11), Grub (06-04-11), honest john (31-07-12), jon420 (13-10-17), Noob1994 (20-10-16), Novice (27-10-14), Oxy (12-11-12), SecondShot (05-10-16), teutonic (25-04-11), tinabina (01-06-17), tissue999 (06-04-11)

heading for the North pole with my HPS and extention lead
    Thanks

intresting thread, some may call me stupid some may call me brave others well i won't say ..... but i have actually done what people have said not to do. unforunately i didnt have a control plant to see what the effects were. Now don't get me wrong here, i wouldn't advice what i did to anyone but i was willing to risk my experiment due to the fact of a accident before i did it. my semi diary can be seen in the auto section if intrested. this was my second grow so i am far from a expert on any matters in growing and except i have have much more to learn.

i took every fan leave off to see what effects it had on the plant at 4 weeks my conclusion would be this, maybe you can also add to it if i missed anything or notice something i didnt.

1. once fan leaves where removed growth did slow (which normally the case if something is taken off anyway)
    2. the plant then tries to replace the lost leaves by growing more leaves on a smaller/medium sized scale these usually are 3 or 4 finger leaves (could possibly from the stress also) thus putting les energy into doing what i t should be and making bud.
    3. towards end of flower when the plants starts to feed on itself due to the fact there are no fan leaves to get food from. it relies on these new growth for food which are much less effective and get eaten faster than the larger fan leaves would.

sorry for the essay and don't quote me on any of it as i'm still pretty new to this and if anything is wrong i will plead noobie mode

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RogerMelly For This Useful Post:

British green (29-04-16), dickiefickle (18-02-15), eastman69er (13-08-11), Goodbuddy (17-08-11), hankbanks1 (16-04-15), Hannibal (13-11-12), Johnyjane79 (16-07-13), K.D.R.G.M. (22-10-12), Maverick (16-10-12), piggy1956 (06-07-14), tinabina (01-06-17)

Tiles Of The Simpsons Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,237 Times

That sounds quite feasible Roger, nice input!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Grub For This Useful Post:

RogerMelly (06-04-11)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,275 Times

Quote Originally Posted by CockRoach View Post
    i think its worth mentioning that these rules dont apply (as much) to someone doing a scrog as you need to be willing to cut off the leaves that need removing. and theres usually a lot of em lol
    cheers
    Okay Cock, admittedly I've never scrogged, but why do you need to remove so many leaves? I thought the point was that the foliage was under the net/mesh and your buds all developed above the nice even canopy...... C'mon, educate me!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade dreams View Post
    Okay Cock, admittedly I've never scrogged, but why do you need to remove so many leaves? I thought the point was that the foliage was under the net/mesh and your buds all developed above the nice even canopy...... C'mon, educate me!
    you need to remove so many leaves because it gets well sweaty in there when leaves are over lapping on top of each other etc - literally residue on the leaves - its bad news not to mention the risk of budrot during flowering. by flowering you really dont want any leaves under the screen marm.

Tiles Of The Simpsons Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,237 Times

A good fan sorts that out Cock mate.

Thanks

personally id rather not take the risk

Thanks

Here are a few.

They...

produce oxygen for animals for respiration

remove carbon dioxide from the air

produce food for the plant

create shade

create hiding places for wildlife

are a source of food (for animals and people)

reduce soil erosion by intercepting rain as it falls

lower the air temperature as a byproduct of transpiration

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast