Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clone degeneration

Thanks

Default Clone degeneration

Going back a couple of years I inherited a clone which turned out to be my favourite so I kept a mother of it and took cuts from that as an when needed. After a security scare I decided to retire from growing for a while and past on a cut from my mother plant to an entrusted friend to keep alive. I've now decided to start up again and said friend gave me back a cut which I have brought on and taken further cuts from ready for my first grow "out of retirement." I have flowered the initial cut I was given back since I'm pretty desperate for some smoke but I have noticed now it is 4 weeks into flower it lacks the vigor it had when I first inherited the strain a couple of years ago.

My question is now the cut I've had back is probably 10 or more cuts away from the initial cut I gave away before retiring and my original cut I have no idea how many cuts it was from the original seed is it possible that it had degenerated along the way?

Thanks in advance

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hanny098 For This Useful Post:

Blue (09-08-18), Bud Lightyear (09-08-18), CityDweller (09-08-18), GEORGE (09-08-18), MonsterEnergy (09-08-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Quote Originally Posted by hanny098 View Post
    Going back a couple of years I inherited a clone which turned out to be my favourite so I kept a mother of it and took cuts from that as an when needed. After a security scare I decided to retire from growing for a while and past on a cut from my mother plant to an entrusted friend to keep alive. I've now decided to start up again and said friend gave me back a cut which I have brought on and taken further cuts from ready for my first grow "out of retirement." I have flowered the initial cut I was given back since I'm pretty desperate for some smoke but I have noticed now it is 4 weeks into flower it lacks the vigor it had when I first inherited the strain a couple of years ago.

My question is now the cut I've had back is probably 10 or more cuts away from the initial cut I gave away before retiring and my original cut I have no idea how many cuts it was from the original seed is it possible that it had degenerated along the way?

Thanks in advance
    No, the genetics will be identical to the original, its how you grow them out that counts...

Regards BL

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Blue (09-08-18), CityDweller (09-08-18), Gaz (09-08-18), GEORGE (09-08-18), joker_the_smoker (10-08-18), MonsterEnergy (09-08-18), tom222 (09-08-18), Valentina (10-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Lightyear View Post
    No, the genetics will be identical to the original, its how you grow them out that counts...

Regards BL
    Thanks for the prompt response, hopefully with some extra love my cuts will be back to their previous glory when flowered. I'll probably refrain from keeping a mother plant and clone each time before flowering if the genetics stay the same.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hanny098 For This Useful Post:

Blue (09-08-18), Bud Lightyear (09-08-18), CityDweller (09-08-18), Gaz (09-08-18), GEORGE (09-08-18), MonsterEnergy (09-08-18), tom222 (09-08-18)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,391 Times

a clone is just an exact genetic copy of the mother,
    the lost vigor was probably due to age rather than anything else

it might be in week 4/5 of veg but the plant/cuttings are years old,

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

Blue (09-08-18), CityDweller (09-08-18), GEORGE (09-08-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Whilst clones are technically a genetic copy of the original mother plant. (Genotype). The exact same clone can express different phenotype traits hidden within its genes when given a different enviroment... Are you using the exact same enviroment as previous. Medium etc? Also how did your friend treat these clones?

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

AND (10-08-18), Bud Lightyear (10-08-18), CityDweller (09-08-18), GEORGE (09-08-18), joker_the_smoker (10-08-18), M_C (09-08-18), Valentina (10-08-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

That is an excellent point Blue!
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Blue (09-08-18), GEORGE (09-08-18), joker_the_smoker (10-08-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

I have heard that mothers can degrade over time and that a new mother should be started every two years max.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-08-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,526 Times

There was another thread similar to this a while back. And I'm sure some one said they get better. I'll try find the link.
    "To live is to risk it all. Otherwise you're just an inert chunk of randomly assembled molecules drifting wherever the universe blows you."

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmshop For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (10-08-18), GEORGE (10-08-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,526 Times

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmshop For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (10-08-18), GEORGE (10-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Whilst clones are technically a genetic copy of the original mother plant. (Genotype). The exact same clone can express different phenotype traits hidden within its genes when given a different enviroment... Are you using the exact same enviroment as previous. Medium etc? Also how did your friend treat these clones?
    I've flowered the initial cut I had back in a tent the same as I would have before, granted it's been hot the last few weeks but I havnt really had issues with my environment. I'm in coco just like before. I'm not 100% on how it was lo Led after but it was still grown in coco and my friend is usually pretty good.

When in veg it looks the same as before but during flower the fan leaves used to go huge and the plant used to stretch like crazy but it has done neither this time round and the buds are slower developing.

My cuts from this are now vegging in a purpose built room which has ideal conditions so hopefully they will go back to their former glory fingers crossed

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hanny098 For This Useful Post:

Blue (10-08-18), GEORGE (10-08-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast