Thread: best way to cure bud

Thanks

Default best way to cure bud

i have 4 plants that will be ready to harvest in about another week, i am harvesting all together about 1/2 lbs worth and was wondering the best way to dry and cure my bud? i have limited space and i have a couple places i can put them (my room closet, basement, garage). i plan on having about two oscilating fans on my harvest to get some fresh air but do not know which place is best to do this. PLEASE HELP GOT SOME GOOD BUDS AND I DONT WANT TO RUIN MY HARD WORK AND TIME!!! CHEERS.

Thanks

My name is Michael Caine, and I, am a pirate killer.

blurry-vision Guest

Put them into airtight jars, once you are sure the buds are dry. Dry them by hanging them up in a warm place with the fans blasting them.

One in Jars you just 'burp' them each day to let air in and also gently move the buds around, I believe you just need to open the jar for 30 mins BTW.

A good cure is say 3-4 weeks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silly818 View Post
    i have 4 plants that will be ready to harvest in about another week, i am harvesting all together about 1/2 lbs worth and was wondering the best way to dry and cure my bud? i have limited space and i have a couple places i can put them (my room closet, basement, garage). i plan on having about two oscilating fans on my harvest to get some fresh air but do not know which place is best to do this. PLEASE HELP GOT SOME GOOD BUDS AND I DONT WANT TO RUIN MY HARD WORK AND TIME!!! CHEERS.

DRYING.

Living marijuana leaves are 80 percent water; colas are about 70 percent water. Marijuana dried for smoking contains only eight to 10 percent water, or about 10 percent of the original amount. There are several methods used to evaporate water; these have little effect on potency, but can affect the taste, bouquet, and smoothness of the smoke. Generally, the slower the dry, the smoother the taste. Excess drying and drying methods that use heat will evaporate some of the volatile oils that give each grass its unique taste and aroma.

Grasses which are dried as part of the curing process usually have a smooth, mild taste, because of the elimination of chlorophyll and various proteins. Cured marijuana may also be a little sweeter than when first picked, because the curing converts some of the plant's starch to simple sugars.

Some grasses are tasty and smooth-smoking when they are dried without curing, especially fresh homegrown buds which retain their volatile oils and sugar. Many homegrowers have acquired a taste for "natural" uncured grass, with its minty chlorophyll flavour; such marijuana is dried directly after harvesting.

Slow Drying.

Slow drying is probably the method most commonly used to dry marijuana. Because of the slowness of the dry, a slight cure takes place, eliminating the bite sometimes associated with quickly dried grass.

There are many variations of the technique, but most commonly whole plants or separated colas are suspended upside down from a drawn string or from pegs on a wall in a cool dark room, closet, or other enclosed space. A large number of plants may take a week or two to dry. The drying time for small numbers of plants can be increased. (for a slight cure) the drying room should have no heavy drafts, but mould may form on the plants if the air is stagnant. If weather is rainy or the air humid, increase ventilation and watch for any mould. Plants should be dried quickly under moderate heat if any mould appears.

Many experienced growers prefer slow drying to curing. There is little chance of error with this method, and buds usually smoke smooth and develop a pliable consistency. Slow-dried ripe buds retain their delicious, sweet aroma and taste.

CURING.

Curing is a process employed to naturally enhance the bouquet, flavour, and texture of marijuana. Curing does not lower potency when done correctly, although poor curing methods often result in some less of THC.

Curing is not an essential procedure, and many growers prefer the "natural" flavour of uncured grass. Sweet sinsemilla buds usually are not cured.

Curing is most successful on plants which have "ripened" and are beginning to lose chlorophyll. It is less successful on growing tips and other vigorous parts which are immature. These parts may only lose some chlorophyll.

Curing proceeds while the leaf is still alive, for until it dries, many of the leaf's life processes continue. Since the leaf's ability to produce sugars is thwarted, it breaks down stored starch to simple sugars, which are used for food. This gives the grass a sweet or earthy aroma and taste. At the same time, many of the complex proteins and pigments, such as chlorophyll, are broken down in enzymatic processes. This changes the colour of the leaf from green to various shades of yellow, brown, tan, or red, depending primarily on the variety, but also on growing environment and cure technique. The destruction of chlorophyll eliminates the minty taste that is commonly associated with green homegrown.

AFTER DRYING.

Any variety benefits from a slow cure. Curing involves atmospheric oxygen to metabolize cannabinnoids and terpenes into more desirable forms. After the harvest is dry enough to create a snapping sound when stems are bent, the material is placed in sealed glass containers (mason jars). Once the oxygen is consumed within them, the process slows to a halt.

The jars should be opened and aired out once or twice every 24 hours. If you smoke a bud as soon as it is drys, it is nothing like it becomes after a nice slow dry and cure. The buds must remain dry with no moisture from inner stems still dispersing, kept out of direct light and the ambient temperature/humidity should be comfortable for humans. I usually extend the curing time to 5 weeks, if discernable improvements were still occuring. No bud should be smoked before its time. Its like a fine wine that gets better with age.

StickyFingerz Guest

I tend to hang dry for 4-5 days in room temp about 70-75F until the bud surface feels fairly dry but the stems do not snap. At that point I put into cure jars but only fill 30% of bud and burp couple of hours every day. After 4-5 days I transfer the bud so it fills about 70% of the cure jars to finish the cure. Then I fill the jars completely to store. I do this to slow the dry process and make sure I dont lock in any chems I dont want. Seems to work well for me anyway.