Thread: Why have my 95% sativa plant stopped growing, never mind not stretching?

Thanks

Default Why have my 95% sativa plant stopped growing, never mind not stretching?

Hello.

I have a diary about my first grow ever which is of a RQS Chocolate Haze, though the diary are written in a way which makes it pretty tuff on the reader I think from the cheer amount of text but in the end I adopt a standard for making it easier to read while skipping all that text.

Short summery:
    • Strain: Royal Queen Seed, Chocolate Haze.
    • Space: 60cm * 60cm * 170cm(135cm left for the plant to grow).
    • Grow light: 170W - 300W DIY COB LED, 3500k white light.
    • Organic soil grow, Bio Canna Terra soil(improved version) & Bio Canna nutrient range, with Great White and a few other additives some of which have only been used 1 - 3 times ether as foliar-feed or root-feed(Nitrozyme, silicon, humic acid, Saturator, Flavinator) and I am going to add Plant Magic Old Timer PK 4-8.
    • Temperature: have been maintained between 25°C - 27°C during the days and between 22°C - 27°C during the nights.
    • Relative humidity: Over all I have maintained a RH around 50% - 60%.
    • Issues that have existed but fixed: Lack of nutrients, over exposure to light, decimation of the beneficial microbes in the soil by Pyrithrum treatment.
    • Currently the plant is at day 22 of 12-12.

It was 22 days ago that I switched to 12-12, the plant have surprised me in a number of ways(without experience all I have to go on is what I have read about sativa strains and there unruly nature or tendency to stretch), the following is things that I never would have expected:
    • Short distance between internodes, about 1cm - 2cm when flowers where developing.
    • The pattern of growth changed at some point during the period of 12-12 so now it only grows 1 new stem each time in an alternating pattern, at least some stems grew like that before it stopped growing all together.
    • I expected some sort of stretch but instead it just stopped growing.

I have had some issues with too little nutrients, and a while into the grow I turned a whole layer of leafs 100% yellow by what I think was a combination of the lack of nutrients in the soil and over exposure to my white LED COB grow lights. I was trying the LED's out and I inched the grow light closer and closer as I increased the power from 170W up to 300W, but once I understood that it was my actions that made the leafs yellow there have been no issues related to light.

I also did get an infestation of Springtails which I treated in a very harsh way using Pyrithrum(before I knew it actually was Springtails) and I flushed the soil many many times, I have re-applied Great White from time to time.

I use the PH of the run-water to judge if the plant need more nutrients or not and the PH have remained around 7,0 since I started measuring the PH of the run-off which maybe was 3 weeks ago, since then I have increased the nutrients in an attempt to get the PH of the run-off down below PH 6,2 which is what I have been told is the maximum you want the run-off to be. For the last 4 waterings I have used between 100% and over 150%, maybe even 200% of the recommended doses from the manufacturer. But all that has accomplished is to maintain the PH at 7,0, the lowest I have measured is PH 6,4 and the highest is PH 7,6.

After the switch to 12-12 the plant started growing more rapidly and then shoots where starting to form and then I picked off all the shoots that was below around 20cm(which was the height of my net, that is now removed) and I only left the pre-flowers on top of the 11 stems that I have cultivated into what I hoped would become colas. But right after I picked off all the shoots the plant halted growth completely and it hasn't grown at all since soon a week ago and I can't help but to feel that there is something wrong or strange going on with my plant, these pictures are from a few days ago but the plant look identical to the pictures today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flowering_14.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	363813

Name:	flowering_13.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	363814

Name:	flowering_12.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	363815

Name:	flowering_11.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	363816

Name:	flowering_10.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	363817

I really don't know what to think about this, if the plant have stopped growing and will in time ripen into a few buds then I made a huge mistake by picking off the shoots but when I did that I still thought that the plant was far from done growing, and I also wonder what to make of the size of the pot which is 12,5L, I have a larger air-pot which is something like 17L that I am considering re-potting into. But I don't know.

I have super cropped 5 stems which have healed a while ago, a couple of days after I picked off the shoots(it was a lot of shoots) I super-cropped two more stems that have not healed yet, one of which I broke the skin of and didn't tape it up before I saw that the stem began to dry out, while the top of that stem still looks identical to the other ones, but I have put some electric tape around

I also consider germinating a Amnezia Haze seed to be grown besides the now flowering Chocolate Haze for the remained of the 12-12 and then when harvest comes switch to 18-12 until the Amnezia would be ready for 12-12.

Any comments or opinions about what is happening and what might have caused this(and how to recreate this, because if I can grow a 95% sativa strain and expect these results it would change how I approach growing this strain a lot, I'll guess I'll find out next time I grow this strain, got a couple of seeds left).

Kind regards.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

Ben.g (05-08-18), GEORGE (05-08-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,097 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DDG View Post
    Hello.

I have a diary about my first grow ever which is of a RQS Chocolate Haze, though the diary are written in a way which makes it pretty tuff on the reader I think from the cheer amount of text but in the end I adopt a standard for making it easier to read while skipping all that text.

Short summery:
    • Strain: Royal Queen Seed, Chocolate Haze.
    • Space: 60cm * 60cm * 170cm(135cm left for the plant to grow).
    • Grow light: 170W - 300W DIY COB LED, 3500k white light.
    • Organic soil grow, Bio Canna Terra soil(improved version) & Bio Canna nutrient range, with Great White and a few other additives some of which have only been used 1 - 3 times ether as foliar-feed or root-feed(Nitrozyme, silicon, humic acid, Saturator, Flavinator) and I am going to add Plant Magic Old Timer PK 4-8.
    • Temperature: have been maintained between 25°C - 27°C during the days and between 22°C - 27°C during the nights.
    • Relative humidity: Over all I have maintained a RH around 50% - 60%.
    • Issues that have existed but fixed: Lack of nutrients, over exposure to light, decimation of the beneficial microbes in the soil by Pyrithrum treatment.
    • Currently the plant is at day 22 of 12-12.

It was 22 days ago that I switched to 12-12, the plant have surprised me in a number of ways(without experience all I have to go on is what I have read about sativa strains and there unruly nature or tendency to stretch), the following is things that I never would have expected:
    • Short distance between internodes, about 1cm - 2cm when flowers where developing.
    • The pattern of growth changed at some point during the period of 12-12 so now it only grows 1 new stem each time in an alternating pattern, at least some stems grew like that before it stopped growing all together.
    • I expected some sort of stretch but instead it just stopped growing.

I have had some issues with too little nutrients, and a while into the grow I turned a whole layer of leafs 100% yellow by what I think was a combination of the lack of nutrients in the soil and over exposure to my white LED COB grow lights. I was trying the LED's out and I inched the grow light closer and closer as I increased the power from 170W up to 300W, but once I understood that it was my actions that made the leafs yellow there have been no issues related to light.

I also did get an infestation of Springtails which I treated in a very harsh way using Pyrithrum(before I knew it actually was Springtails) and I flushed the soil many many times, I have re-applied Great White from time to time.

I use the PH of the run-water to judge if the plant need more nutrients or not and the PH have remained around 7,0 since I started measuring the PH of the run-off which maybe was 3 weeks ago, since then I have increased the nutrients in an attempt to get the PH of the run-off down below PH 6,2 which is what I have been told is the maximum you want the run-off to be. For the last 4 waterings I have used between 100% and over 150%, maybe even 200% of the recommended doses from the manufacturer. But all that has accomplished is to maintain the PH at 7,0, the lowest I have measured is PH 6,4 and the highest is PH 7,6.

After the switch to 12-12 the plant started growing more rapidly and then shoots where starting to form and then I picked off all the shoots that was below around 20cm(which was the height of my net, that is now removed) and I only left the pre-flowers on top of the 11 stems that I have cultivated into what I hoped would become colas. But right after I picked off all the shoots the plant halted growth completely and it hasn't grown at all since soon a week ago and I can't help but to feel that there is something wrong or strange going on with my plant, these pictures are from a few days ago but the plant look identical to the pictures today:

Name:	flowering_14.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	363813

Name:	flowering_13.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	363814

Name:	flowering_12.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	363815

Name:	flowering_11.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	363816

Name:	flowering_10.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	363817

I really don't know what to think about this, if the plant have stopped growing and will in time ripen into a few buds then I made a huge mistake by picking off the shoots but when I did that I still thought that the plant was far from done growing, and I also wonder what to make of the size of the pot which is 12,5L, I have a larger air-pot which is something like 17L that I am considering re-potting into. But I don't know.

I have super cropped 5 stems which have healed a while ago, a couple of days after I picked off the shoots(it was a lot of shoots) I super-cropped two more stems that have not healed yet, one of which I broke the skin of and didn't tape it up before I saw that the stem began to dry out, while the top of that stem still looks identical to the other ones, but I have put some electric tape around

I also consider germinating a Amnezia Haze seed to be grown besides the now flowering Chocolate Haze for the remained of the 12-12 and then when harvest comes switch to 18-12 until the Amnezia would be ready for 12-12.

Any comments or opinions about what is happening and what might have caused this(and how to recreate this, because if I can grow a 95% sativa strain and expect these results it would change how I approach growing this strain a lot, I'll guess I'll find out next time I grow this strain, got a couple of seeds left).

Kind regards.
    Could just be the issues you have had. I thought you plant looked ok.

With organic growing, don't worry about you pH.

I know it's organic nutes but don't go mental with them, can't be good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben.g For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-08-18)