PDA

View Full Version : has anyone here made a cfl vs. hps etc?

Mr. Don Keidik
23-06-13, 02:02 AM
wanted to know if theres a post/diary in here of an orginized exp with clones on cfl vs. hps vs. mh and so and so.

thanks

Outlaw#1
23-06-13, 04:35 AM
Always useful for beginners to follow.

Makes understanding different lighting systems easier.

You thinking of doing a comparison guide using clones?

It'd make a nice guide me finks.

Mr.UnclePen
27-06-13, 05:01 PM
I'm just curious, who would even waste their time flowering with cfls if they already have an HID? CFLs can be very useful, but compared to HID they are pretty much useless, seriously.

I can't think of why anyone would ever compare cfl to hid when, on paper, it's not even close...

Amber Reef
27-06-13, 05:02 PM
ive seen sum really nice plants on here flowered under cfls mate, there not useless :)

THCMcGEE
27-06-13, 06:16 PM
Deffo not useless. Impractical when your looking at 100w and up but when you factor in other costs like inline extraction for the extra heat and possibly a cooltube depending on space. a CFL grow can be great and cheap when used with PC fans.

Mr Pothead
27-06-13, 06:18 PM
You use CFLs for small spaces where the heat and light from a hps would be too much

But in that case I'd use LEDs :)

CFLs can't really be compared to a hps really

Goodbuddy
27-06-13, 06:22 PM
Why waste all those lumens and electricity on a clone that hasn't got either the leafs or root system to make use of it?

A good test I reckon would be to compare (Same overall watts/lumens as benchmark) Daylight Spec -vs- Warm Spec -vs- a combination of both Specs to see which gets them to root/stick the fastest :confused:

Keeno
27-06-13, 06:25 PM
i do not have a diary or even a thread but have done a side by side in vegetative stage. i had a 300w cfl up against a 250w hps. i found the hps light smashed the cfl in all aspects. so much so the cfl is now gathering dust in my shed. however as said above i have seen some very good grows using cfl.

Fro
27-06-13, 06:30 PM
I don't see why you all don't throw in a very cheap cfl or two for side lighting along with the hps.

Duke1
27-06-13, 10:18 PM
on paper?nonsense im sorry but your prob to young to remember that fluroes were the first and only growlights available to early home growers and we did and still do produce buds as good and on many occasions bigger than hps 250w its not all about lumens despite current hid trends if you learn to grow using fluroes or cfls then you would understand its quicker yes when using hid,but that ime is the only difference,if you no what your doing with fluroes they really are good honest,look at my last grow in the drobe 90% of it was done purely under a 220w fluroes and i managed 266grams from 3 plants and it is shit hot buds not popcorn,just saying not baiting.
I'm just curious, who would even waste their time flowering with cfls if they already have an HID? CFLs can be very useful, but compared to HID they are pretty much useless, seriously.

I can't think of why anyone would ever compare cfl to hid when, on paper, it's not even close...

Mr.UnclePen
28-06-13, 01:23 PM
My point is, you are WASTING LUMENS and energy because you cheap out upfront.

Go get 1000w of hid and 1000w of cfls, I promise you that the hid will run cooler as it's setup better for growing (ballast outside box, ect).

That's cool and all you got a g/w from "90%" cfls, BUT

I say,

"think of how much you could have grown with that much wattage in hid?"

Goodbuddy
28-06-13, 01:34 PM
Getting back to the percy ethic of the site..

I could probably quickly root 100+ clones under a 1000w hd no problems from a commercial, bung em in and get em down as quick as possible persepctive, but for half a dozen or so for personal growers keeping numbers as safe as possible considering the sentencing guides applied by UK Juristiction, it is complete overkill ?

Mr.UnclePen
28-06-13, 02:20 PM
Oh come on, he's arguing about using 200+ watts of Cfls, let's not completely void the argument of lumens to watts ratio. Even here it's applicable (as is heat). I just don't see any argument for using 2x the power because they're easier to use, more accessible, along with more opinion based bias talk and information given out.

Ethics of the site? There ARE 1600w hid grows on here, let's not act like me mentioning 1000w is taboo.

Mr.UnclePen
28-06-13, 02:26 PM
I wasn't suggesting someone use 1000w to do a test, I was just putting it in a larger scale.

That said, a 250w test, or 150w test even would be interesting, but I still think the difference would easily be detectable.

THCMcGEE
28-06-13, 04:24 PM
The difference is definitely noticeable in the grow however it doesn't mean that someone who is looking for a cheap small setup can't run a few CFLs. I started with CFLs and got my feet wet then moved up to HID and it was deff a turn for the best but CFLs got me in the door and growing cheap.

Duke1
28-06-13, 10:56 PM
hid would have been to much for young plants in a drobe i think,if electric was cheaper then i suppose i would probably use it more,but also with drobe growing the temp caused by hps is a yeild killer,so my cooler pl4s get better yeild,simply because of the better temps,i could spend more on bigger extractor,but my missus would cut my balls of!
My point is, you are WASTING LUMENS and energy because you cheap out upfront.

Go get 1000w of hid and 1000w of cfls, I promise you that the hid will run cooler as it's setup better for growing (ballast outside box, ect).

That's cool and all you got a g/w from "90%" cfls, BUT

I say,

"think of how much you could have grown with that much wattage in hid?"

Mr.UnclePen
30-06-13, 03:29 PM
hid would have been to much for young plants in a drobe i think,if electric was cheaper then i suppose i would probably use it more,but also with drobe growing the temp caused by hps is a yeild killer,so my cooler pl4s get better yeild,simply because of the better temps,i could spend more on bigger extractor,but my missus would cut my balls of!

But watt per watt HID and CFL are about the same. That's what I hear all the time anyways. So I understand heat as a viable reason, and if you're getting under 150w then it is a bit harder to get ahold of and make a 100w or 70w HID setup. That said, would be worth it for sure. Although I'm not sure what you're running so...

Duke1
30-06-13, 10:22 PM
i think because my particular favorite light ever for growing my afghans is a 220w philips pl4 fluroes because they have very good footprint and next to no heat,there early versions were much better than the new ones,the t5 and t8 suck heatwise compared,i also got 250w hps but can only really use it in the bigger drobe,for scrog the fluroes work just as well but take 2 weeks longer,so depends how desperate i am!im not a fan of big cfl bulbs,the footprint is to small,my homebuit cfl has 6 smaller bulbs giving much better footprint,and spreads the heat out rather than down to the plant tops.
But watt per watt HID and CFL are about the same. That's what I hear all the time anyways. So I understand heat as a viable reason, and if you're getting under 150w then it is a bit harder to get ahold of and make a 100w or 70w HID setup. That said, would be worth it for sure. Although I'm not sure what you're running so...

grend69
21-07-13, 08:37 AM
Google it as its on you tube Og led v hpi the full test using halide sunmaster and led great watch changed my mind to switch led for next grow 2::: 600 watts