PDA

View Full Version : First real grow - Red Dwarf & Syrup (mini greenhouse on terrace) crazily addictive!

Giutz
07-07-13, 09:25 PM
Hey everyone,

So please excuse me if i am posting this in the wrong place, or say/ask idiotic things, post crap images of my ladies and/or other random mistakes;as hinted in the title, i'm new to this as well as the forum!
After years of "being dependent" on others, the time had come (and the possibilities) to grow my own...
So on May 3rd I planted two autoflower seeds - a Red Dwarf & a Syrup - i'd bought them thinking AF and Dwarf varieties would suit my mini greenhouse.

Roughly 10 days later the little signs of life sprang forth! (oh the pride i felt!)
They grew fast and tall and on about June 5th i saw first couple of pistils.

Here is the set up -

Now this past month things went crazy (in a good way) - The Red Dwarf on the left of the photo above, was content growing at steady slowish pace, seems to have all but stopped growing vertically and now is fleshing out. However the Syrup, after a slower start went into hyperdrive, and in the space of a couple of weeks was cramping against the top of the house. I firstly made more space below (that worked for a couple of days) then with the help of a mates advice, i took the terrifying action of bending (without breaking etc) the stem 90°, to give more room. Seemingly worked ok! (see below)

As of today i have what appears to be 2 nicely progressing plants (feedback on this please would be appreciated) - the RD has quite a few colas (i hope thats the right term) and is begging to be covered in white crystal goodness. It seems to be a small plant (despite the 5L pot, not sure if that would effect it or not tho)...pics below

The Syrup is a beast! I am sure if i left it without bending etc it would still be growing up! The colas (again if right term - as i mean the bud sites around the pistils) are more distributed (but the plant is bigger) and they seem to be concentrated together in small groups. It is/was a slower-grower than the Red Dwarf (so far)...pics below

As i said with my blissful ignorance, so far so good ;)
By my guessing and of reading many others diaries on here - i think then that i am at about day 50ish from planting the seed and about day 30ish from the pistils appearing. I know i have some time left to grow yet before i can harvest (i've read about, am still reading about) the Trichs and Pistil requirement (colours and quantity), but how long exactly i have no idea. (any reading suggestions greatly appreciated)

I've got a couple of questions, if anyone is still reading after my rambling :p

1) Can i trim the larger leaves off (would be easier for space etc and to stop condensation appearing when the Syrups leaves touch the side or top of the greenhouse)?
2) Can anyone tell me what stage of growth i've managed to fluke them to? ;) I mean, i think i've gone through veg stage. I've got Pistils everywhere and even little "bud balls" beneath, around, etc... but hmm can you tell i'm a noob to this? ;)
3) Any tips on how to make your cats NOT want to eat the damn leaves? I've had a couple of catcidents... little buggers walking around the house with random leafage hanging out of their mouths...

And if anyone out there has any tips,advice,comments etc... please feel free to pipe-up, chip-in and chime-on, i'd really appreciate it!
These photos were just snapped today, i can take better more detailed ones if it would help. (in fact nearer the end of the grow i will take some more arty ones for sure)

Thanks to anyone who had the patience to read through this, and hope to hear from you soon!

Giutz

THE DUDE ABIDES
08-07-13, 12:07 AM
Nice start to your diary Giutz, you seem to have most things under control. Your plants do look a little 'leggy', how much sun are you getting in the greenhouse?

Regarding your questions.

1) Best not to trim fan leaves unless they are yellowing or dead. You don't want them touching the sides though, move or trim as necessary.

2) Because they are autos, they have already gone into flower, I think you've got about 5 weeks till they're ready for harvest, depending on the sunlight.

Make sure you have maximum ventilation, those poly greenhouses get very humid, high humidity = bud rot (that's why you don't want anything touching the sides/top)

3) Best to kill the cats, to be on the safe side. If that's not possible then just exclude them from your greenhouse.

I'll keep an eye on your diary, if that's OK with you, you could have a look in my FROG BLOG (link in sig below) for tips on greenhouse growing, there's a lot of stuff about moles, sex and farty stuff as well if you're interested.

All good things
TDA

T3nd3rB33£
09-07-13, 11:12 PM
3) Best to kill the cats, to be on the safe side.

lol

@Giutz

I'm no expert and only on my first real grow but your plants look like they're coming on very nicely. Mine are in a gh as well so I'll call in from time to time to hear your thoughts and others on your growing experience.

Thanks

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk HD

Mr.UnclePen
10-07-13, 12:29 AM
Nice start to your diary Giutz, you seem to have most things under control. Your plants do look a little 'leggy', how much sun are you getting in the greenhouse?

Regarding your questions.

1) Best not to trim fan leaves unless they are yellowing or dead. You don't want them touching the sides though, move or trim as necessary.

2) Because they are autos, they have already gone into flower, I think you've got about 5 weeks till they're ready for harvest, depending on the sunlight.

Make sure you have maximum ventilation, those poly greenhouses get very humid, high humidity = bud rot (that's why you don't want anything touching the sides/top)

3) Best to kill the cats, to be on the safe side. If that's not possible then just exclude them from your greenhouse.

I'll keep an eye on your diary, if that's OK with you, you could have a look in my FROG BLOG (link in sig below) for tips on greenhouse growing, there's a lot of stuff about moles, sex and farty stuff as well if you're interested.

All good things
TDA

Right on Dude, because it's an auto the no no on trimming leaves, and yeah it looks like they are 3-4 weeks into flower looking at the resin production but I've never worked with auto's so could be off but I agree, 4-5 weeks at least to finish. Nailed the last question btw lol.

The resin production and the flower size/development kind of confuse me (the resin looks so developed for the stage of the pistils/flower) on this auto, maybe it's all auto's.

Giutz
10-07-13, 05:21 PM
Thanks TDA!
Greatly appreciated and i'd be honored if you can keep an eye on my diary!

They are getting about 8-9 hours of direct hot sun then another 7 hours of indirect reflected light (from the buildings around them).

1) Ok so i'll just carry on with a little lst'ing and tieing and no breaking
2) gotcha - the summer days are just getting longer and hotter, will have good sun until end of sept - speaking of, too late to plant another 2? (to replace these) ;)
3) Haha! so ive got a net thing rigged up around it seems to be working - but damn those 2 furballs love the weed-leaves man!

Checking out the Frog Blog this eve!

Rock on and thanks again!

Giutz
10-07-13, 05:21 PM
Cheers T3nd...

Good luck with yours mate! Keep us updated!

G

Giutz
10-07-13, 05:24 PM
Thanks Mr.Uncle!

So resin production is looking good? Stupid noob question i know; need to learn all about this side of it too... :blush:

Giutz
10-07-13, 05:31 PM
quick update - few photos to come later once the thunderstorm passes!
So both plants are looking great. They seem to have finally stopped growing up and all the "sites" seem to be getting bigger and are for sure covered A LOT more in lovely white crystal loveliness!
I've noticed that the Red Dwarf is seemingly much fluffier and lighter, and does not smell much at all. The Syrup on the other hand smells the devils weed itself! Ans is tightly bunched on the bud sites.

btw - any ideas for a little odor removal? It's actually not an issue, but if wanted to, could i control the smell in anyway?

Now - i need to get a magnifying glass to check some things are milky right!? I'm on this ya see :)

Gotta rush (processing some shots for work) but will update with snaps soon

1LV

Giutz
10-07-13, 05:32 PM
Oh and is well ventilated as the bottom is clear from the poly by about a good 10 cm, and esp when door is open the air passes nicely... :)

T3nd3rB33£
11-07-13, 10:27 AM
btw - any ideas for a little odor removal? It's actually not an issue, but if wanted to, could i control the smell in anyway?

Hi G,

I've been looking into this myself, I was gonna start out in the gh then go guerrilla but I'm now worried they are used to the heat of the gh and that they won't survive the rain fall in north east UK, mould n all.

I've had a look on some of the hydroponic sites and it seems they all sell a product called Ona Block and Ona Gell, I'm hoping to go to my local hydro store and have a conflab with an assistant there to find the best option. I'll keep you informed. Its sold on eBay and most stores sites I've looked at so it wouldn't take long to find on Google etc.

Good lock mate, looking forward to more pics.

Take it easy.

Giutz
11-07-13, 03:19 PM
Hey T3!

Thanks for the input mate.

Funny enuff i just heard of this Ona Block recently! Seems quite effective, but i'm unsure of the quantity you'd need... Keep me updated!
I'm going to swing by the local garden/DIY shop and see whats there too.

Pics coming ;)

Peace
G

Giutz
11-07-13, 11:29 PM
evnin peeps!
lil'update -
Noticed a little condensation this a.m so tonight tied back and up and sideways offending leaves. Also turned the Syrup 90° so now the 'right angled top stem' runs parallel with the GH roof seem (making more space for bus and the Red Dwarf). Should fix it, nothing touching or near to now.
Regarding feeding - i gave some standard feed sporadically throughout the grow, and now though am just using water. Mainly every 2-3 days when the top soil looks dry enough. 1.5 / 2 ltrs slwly added to each. More if needed.
It was getting tight for space but after tieing is much better.- ((on a side note i think that this is the limit of space and skill for me - would have been easier maybe to keep them smaller/shorter/fatter? Next grow maybe))
Colas (right term? the bud sites) are becoming thicker and very sticky to the touch!
Pic before tie up, same set up but neater. Red Dwarf - has 20+ colas* and is looking fluffy. Not so much strong smell (at least compared to the Syrup). Is super sticky (accidentally touched part) - the perfume is fresh and almost fruity.

The Syrup is more spread out, bigger leaves, bigger plant - STINKS like ya nans breath - and colas* are seemingly much denser and darker than the RD. V sticky and did i say starting to smell ;)

I lifted up the back of the cover, so now there is 20cm of clearance for air to circulate.

Here are a few bud macros that i took - enjoy mates!

Giutz
13-07-13, 06:10 PM
hey all,

couple of quicky updates. Noticed that with the extra ventilation not one bit of moisture/condensation.
Maybe i was mistaken for the culprit of the stench! I've been blaming the Syrup, but when sniffed closely, noticed the Red Dwarf seems to reeeeek ;) Did some strain research - It's an Indica/Skunk hybrid, maybe that's why? ;)
Did notice a slight yellow tinge to a couple of the lowest fan leaves. Maybe nitrate lack i read... should I add some mixture? Or is it part of the natural process (read that too) :)

Everything else is all good - cat update - one has given up interest, the other has taken up permanent residence next to the (fenced off) plants :p

one love
G

THE DUDE ABIDES
14-07-13, 02:36 PM
Nice one G, looking good mate, I wouldn't worry about lower fans turning yellow, that's normal.

Glad you didn't have to kill the cats.

All good things
TDA

Giutz
15-07-13, 02:12 PM
thanks TDA!

All seems good, sweet too - noticed a little condensation again in one small patch, so will retie a few more fan leaves to be sure.
Here you can see the shorter of the two (red dwarf) :)
;) - not yet anyway!

peace
G.

wigster
15-07-13, 04:11 PM
Your mini forest is looking great;)

Giutz
15-07-13, 06:35 PM
haha Wig ;) Thanks for the compliments! Just chkd out your grows, very nice work! love 'em!

'lil snap i took yesterday ;)

Giutz
20-07-13, 12:24 AM
Morning all!

Seems good, buds seem to be forming, a little heat/sun damage on tips of bigger fan leaves that touch the side -need to tie them down.
As i said lower leaves are yellow or infact fading is a better description, photo here just to be sure its "normal" and that i don't need to take any nute action or anything else...
210137 210138

I'll try to describe the noticeable differences - the Red Dwarf is for sure smaller, and the Syrup large by about 1/3 (i'll update with measurements later) - RD is a lighter, "fluffier" formation, where as Syrup seems darker and more compact. Both crazily covered and smelling rather lovely. Syrup is extremely sticky!
What other stuff would be good for the smoke report?

Just to be sure then - i'm now waiting for the pistils to turn mostly brown/orange and... ? I know i need to magnify ;)

Couple of pics - the first is a tip (bud point) from the Syrup and the fuzzy one (snapped from outside the gh) is the tip (top cola) of the Red Dwarf (looking down)

Cheers and be happy

G

Giutz
25-07-13, 05:20 PM
Hey hey!

Hope you are all enjoying life & it is treating you kindly!

So things progress nicely - apart from slowly running out of space (one of lessons i've learned) the two ladies are doing fine.

The two colours of the plants and how they differ are easy to notice; the Red Dwarf being light and "fluffy green" and the Syrup much darker and loaded with white points!
The pistils are going orange (see photos). Maybe the Syrup is a little behind in growth (hard to be sure cos of slight cramped conditions).

On the Red Dwarf there are more than 30 budding sites - the average is about 6-7 cm tall and 3 cm diameter. They are not compact, but fluffy looking and covered in 'tendrils'. The head of this is about the size of a large tin can, but fluffy and airy.

Red Dwarf
211509 211510

Red Dwarf Top (some of it anyway)

The Syrup has a lot of sites (but i can't count them due to bunching up of the beast i did earlier) - more compact and rounded sites like small eggs. The head is much more compact and dense. The size of a coke can.

Syrup
211512 211513

I said i'd give some measurements so -
The greenhouse is 1M tall by 70cm Wide & 50cm Deep (so compact)
In there there are the 2 girls -
° The Red Dwarf is 72 cm Tall with the biggest "cola" about 17cm
° The Syrup is apx.112cm Tall (bent at 90° earlier in the grow), has a lot of top colas the biggest is about 10cm

Wanting to harvest! :)

Hope this diary is ok!

Peace
G

THE DUDE ABIDES
26-07-13, 08:38 AM
Good stuff Giutz, budding up nicely, lots of frosty bits.

Hope they don't get too big for your space.

All good things
TDA

Giutz
26-07-13, 09:30 AM
Thanks TDA!

super frosty in parts eh!
Space should be just about ok, will/can "jack up the GH" to give another 20 cm if needed :)

by the way - i'm trying to check the trychs to see if they are milky/amber, took some macro shots, seem white/v few milky, (i'll get a mag glass soon) - should i continue to chk like this? or / and are the "hairs"/"tendrils" things an indicator too? I.E. should they be mainly orange?

Cheers in advance for help mate!
Hope ya doing well!

G

THE DUDE ABIDES
26-07-13, 10:25 AM
Hi again Giutz, the hairs (pistils) only give a rough indication, the trichs are what you need to look at, a jewellers loupe (x60) is the best thing to check with, only cost a few quid from Amazon or Ebay.

That extra 20cms may come in very handy mate.

All good things
TDA

Giutz
26-07-13, 10:32 AM
hey, thanks TDA! Much appreciated - gonna chk Amazon now :)

Seems i'll be diy'ing again a bit then indeed :)
update to follow!

(loving the Laptop grow):)

peace

swordfishtrombone
26-07-13, 10:20 PM
Hi Giutz, just repaying your visit to my grow. You have done a smashing job already they look real sweet and healthy.

TDA has given some good sound advice about ventilation and controlling humidity so keep on top of that aspect as bud rot is something nobody wants to see their hard work come to.

I'd be giving them some molasses at this stage and continue right up to the end. This year ive added some honey into the mix and so far all is going well and my auto's are enjoying it. Holland and Barratt might still have that buy one get one free or half price offer on the molasses so its works out real cheap and many growers use it through flowering and its totally organic.

Apart from that just keep on doing what your doing and looking forward to seeing your efforts rewarded with a fair few ounces of nice green.

ATB

Giutz
27-07-13, 09:05 AM
Hey Swordfish, thank you for the visit and the encouraging words!

The humidity and overall temp has been a slight battle, but so far i've won ;) I have as i mentioned raise up the gh a little to ensure no buds touch the sides (the fan leaves etc i've under control).
I was going to ask about the molasses - will see if i can find some around here! I just mix it in with the water?
And also, would you suggest nearer the harvest trimming down the fan leaves (say in the last week)? I'm not sure if this would damage the last week grow etc.

Oh i hope so too! For a complete noob, that winged it so far on a small scale, i'm quietly happy :)

Have a great day !

G
I'll update with a few more pics and progress over the weekend :)

swordfishtrombone
27-07-13, 07:58 PM
Hey Swordfish, thank you for the visit and the encouraging words!

The humidity and overall temp has been a slight battle, but so far i've won ;) I have as i mentioned raise up the gh a little to ensure no buds touch the sides (the fan leaves etc i've under control).
I was going to ask about the molasses - will see if i can find some around here! I just mix it in with the water?
And also, would you suggest nearer the harvest trimming down the fan leaves (say in the last week)? I'm not sure if this would damage the last week grow etc.

Oh i hope so too! For a complete noob, that winged it so far on a small scale, i'm quietly happy :)

Have a great day !

G
I'll update with a few more pics and progress over the weekend :)

Yes just put about a tablespoon into a cup and pour on some boiling water out of the kettle to help it mix while stirring then add to your water so it goes a brown'y mucky colour. The fan leaves ive usually left but removed any that look like they're beginning to die as they can encourage mould. I tend to start trimming them all off once i start the flushing, with these being smaller than last years grow i think 5 days flushing should do it because ive only been using mostly molasses for the final few weeks.

Good luck

Giutz
28-07-13, 02:32 PM
got it, thanks! Lets just i can find it (i'm outside UK now - have been for 15 years)

On a side note should get my lens from amazon delivered tues/weds - can't wait to see the progress of the lil'girls ;)

have a lovely sunday!

/one love
G

Giutz
30-07-13, 02:27 PM
hi guys,

little worried as found this on one of the buds today. In fact i had noticed it getting whiter but was wondering if it was a crazy resin outbreak etc.
But today, hmmm saw it and thought i'd cut it off (it's only located there, not any other places on either of the plants - thank goodness) - maybe its white powdery mold? or maybe i'm worrying for nothing and don't need to cut it off...
thanks in advance guys for any advice

G

Giutz
30-07-13, 04:46 PM
**mini update**
so i've just finished examining all the other bud sites and the other plant. Seems ok no sign of anything similar. I noticed that the plants smell normal again, the bud (that i have removed) smelt "strange"
You think I should i separate the plants to be safe?

on a side note: Space is cramped... i'm working on a design for a mini GH from plexiglass with opening front and rear vents (maybe side too) with a clearance at the bottom and possibility to extend the roof if needed (but this will be for the next grow/season) - in the meantime i'm hoping that i can just about squeeze this grow out without too much over cramping.

peace out
G.

wigster
30-07-13, 06:15 PM
The fluffy stuff (blurred on front middle of plant) looks like mould & I would cut it out (oops, read the post again, and you have)....with all the hot weather and now the rain, it will get very humid inside the greenhouse - try to keep it open or move the plants out in good weather:)

Giutz
30-07-13, 11:18 PM
Thanks Wigster mate, really appreciated.
I'll get them out tomorrow for some breathing and will check again all over the two gals.
At this stage though, no need to separate i hope..

Thought it was all going too smooth! ;)

G.

Giutz
01-08-13, 10:17 AM
good morning you lovely fellow tokers!

'KN hell here it's hot! not even 11 and already 31°c (nearly 88°f for my fellow brits still in the UK) - for those wondering i left London 15 years ago (spent 10 years in Paris - now live in Italy)

Anyway enough of my babble -
So yesterday did a mahuuusive check and rearrange of the GH. Lifted it up by 10 cm, lowered the Red Dwarf by another 10 (removed the bottom shelf) - cleaned a few of the dead leaves. There is a lot more space and no humidity at all now (due the back of the GH being half open and the front being totally open now.
More importantly i checked all the bud sites on both the Syrup and RD; no more mold (at least for now) - and even the "smell of the mold" has gone. Obviously i'll keep checking!
It's evident that the Red Dwarf is far more bushy, has more colas, nodes etc. The buds are less dense, but the difference between the two growths on the plants is noticible. Maybe the conditions favour the red dwarf and not the syrup...

Couple of shots - the first is the Red Dwarf (outside the GH on my balcony). The second is of the top cola (not a bad size i think!)
213005 213006

The two shots below are close ups of buds on the Red Dwarf.
213007 213008

The final shot is of my manipulated Syrup. (someone asked me to show the extreme bend) so here you can see that I had to bend the main stem 90° and you can see where it regrew up again after at the tip (after the point it was tied down)

My pocket microscope arrived yesterday so I was able to check the trychs with X60 happiness! OMG what a sight! Seems as if all are still clear (maybe 1 or 2 slightly milky)...

Seemingly ok then! Thanks again to all who are helping, advising and supporting! You guys make being a noob highly enjoyable!

One love
G.

T3nd3rB33£
01-08-13, 01:08 PM
Hi G,

How's things m8? Those plants of yours are looking mighty nice, congrats.

My plants in the north east UK are looking very sad in comparison :) but still,they grow and that's all that matters. I do t know if i'll get the sun or the weather up here to take them all the way. We had some great weather bout 2wk ago but lots of clouds and rain since, suns out now though :thumbup: shame they was stagnant through all the sunshine we had so got some blood, bone and meal mix and they shot away again.

Did you feel the need to use ona block or anything similar? I don't need any yet although I can smell them over the toms.

A little peak at my littl'ens

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/01/jugaja8e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/01/sy8ajy7y.jpg

:) the bananas everywhere is an attempt to force the plants into fems, as suggested somwhere on here.

Really enjoying your grow.

Take it easy

Giutz
01-08-13, 04:32 PM
Heya T3!
Thanks for the visit!

All in all things are quite fine thanks. We've had some very hot weather, and been battling this a little, hopefully the mods i made to the GH will be ok!
Ahh cheers! So far i'm quite happy i have to say, especially for my first ever real grow etc; The Red Dwarf seems to suit my limitd skills and GH quite well ;)
The syrup is way behind in quantity, but the buds look a lot denser.

I tell you mate, i don't miss the UK weather! So i hear your pain! Still have to say that they look very healthy! (I read from a mate that you have another heat wave coming soon too). Looks as if the feed you gave worked! I hardly gave any, just a little "sangue di bue" that i had laying around from my Chilli growing (in the first weeks of veg).
I hope you get the sun you need mate! What will you do if you don't get the sun tho? Move indoors?
Bananas! I read the same thing somewhere a while ago (something to do with the Pot. in them? - dont recall tbh.) Is it working? Banana flavour buds makes my mouth water!

I found some to buy on amazon, but the funny thing is that i planted above nd behind) by coincedence some 'herbs' mainly Basil, Thyme, Rosemary and a lemony-smelling-thing (from a family member here)... so infact the smell of all of these (especially when tickled by the wind) all but masks the scent! Also i came back one night and there was a Magic Tree car freshener hanging (discreetly) in the back - my lovely other half had tried to help cover the smell one night :)
haha - the thought of this makes me laugh! But to be serious, the plants are seemingly covering the smell quite well, the Vanilla car thing - just adds another scent into the mix. BUT i am thinking of getting some ona block specifically for the drying stage... as if i have to dry it inhouse (cellar/garage not an option) then i need to think about masking this a bit.

Nice to see some updates from ya!

Right back at you man!

Peace
G

Giutz
02-08-13, 01:21 PM
greetings!

Lil mini update -
TRYCHS - Looked at a sugar leaf from both plants (thanks for tips TDA! Much easier than trying on the plant)

-the Red Dwarf under a microscope (X60) today - bit tricky to see the difference between clear and milky (but i guess this is noobish inexperience) - so after about 10 mins of "oohs and ahhs" on my behalf, i think that (on the leaf) i would estimate that about 10% were slightly milky, with a few others seemingly having milky heads, and the remaining crystal clear. (Also, at least half of the pistils are brown)

-The Syrup is behind and shows only clear ones, with no sign of milkiness. (only about 10% of pistils have changed colour)

Q- how often do i need to check the trychs? Is everyday too keen? Once the Trychs start to to turn, is it a fast thing? (don't wanna miss it ;) )

peace N luv
G

Giutz
04-08-13, 06:35 PM
Evenin peeps!

Bloody Hell it's hot here! 40°C today (104°F) but happy to say the 2 gals are doing fine!

Checked the trychs today again - a tiny glistening little sugar leaf from mid plant- and maybe i missed it last time, or maybe they've shot along, but whatever the reason - there are clear, milky and a few amber! (incidentally the ambers made me think of an Ants head, and in my stoned happy state produced rather a splendid sets of giggles!) anyway - the ratio is would estimate at being about 60%-70% clear, the remainder are milky with the occasional ant head (i'd estimate 5%-10% amber).

Do you think one more week or more to harvest?

I'll get some photos up soon,

It's all good,

Peace
G

Giutz
04-08-13, 07:32 PM
in fact upon reflection is a dumb question "do you think one more week or more to harvest" like "how long is a piece of string"... maybe better to say, i'll check it at the end of this week and let's see if it ready to harvest!

Aight!

G.

Giutz
07-08-13, 04:31 PM
2nd attempt to write this - lost it first time when attaching.

So -

Buongiorno all!
Hope you are all fine!
Here we've had a day of a mellow 31° with grey skies an all!

So the girls are fine! In fact really good it seems.

Red Dwarf - the pistils are 75% deep dark rusty orange (lovely to see) and the trychs (that i checked again) have increased in ratio (from above) but i'd still say maybe a couple of more days maybe (30% Clear - 10% Amber, 60 % Milky)
There is a thick cover of resiny crystal all over.
The plant is a cool "Spade Shape" (think of the Ace Of Spades in a pack of cards).
Discreet and densely packed with the fluffy buds. There is a lot of foxtailing.

Now i planted her on May 3rd, she sprouted in 7 days and we've had insane sunshine the entire time. Autoflowering (2 months). It's been one month from my first diary post (where i was given a rough guestimate / advice of 4, 4-5 wks 'till ready) so they could be indeed ready! Exciting eh!

The photos below show the main stem, head/cola and middle of the stem etc. Also a couple of buds close up.

214262 214263 214264 214265

Syrup -
Although the pistils are only 50% coloured, the trychs i looked at today were about 40% Amber (on a sugar leaf) 40% Milky! So i think again I will look at end of week.
She is a strange plant, nodes of buds and very crystalline).

A pic of the top bud of hers.

Whatcha think peeps?

One love
G.

Giutz
07-08-13, 04:43 PM
had to add this - missed the "edit window"

I've also a question to ask on drying -
Here it is hot, with high humidity. So i was thinking of using a large cardboard box with vent holes cut in (the type that a flat screen tv comes in) suspend the branches up in there, and put the whole thing in a room that can be air conditioned (the bedroom) - sound alright?
Sadly my garage and other places like that are out of bounds, so that leaves in house (in some form or another). I could make up some contraption in the bath room, i can lower the blind and put in a fan, and there is even often a flow of air... but maybe humid?

Also real quick - the brown paper bag (after the hang and dry, before the jar) - is it worth doing?
Heard some people say that 2 days 'burped' in the bag, before the jars make a lot of difference...

THE DUDE ABIDES
07-08-13, 06:24 PM
Hi G, looking really good now, nearly there mate.

The box idea should be fine, not in the bathroom though. Try to keep the drying buds in the dark and get some air movement in there, the AC should help with that.

A word of warning, it's gonna smell, a lot.

All good things
TDA

Giutz
07-08-13, 06:52 PM
Hi TDA,

Thanks for the kind words!

Will see if i can get some neo-oda stuff. Bu luckily no-one around really at this time of year!

Will update soon!

Cheers e Peace
G

Giutz
08-08-13, 10:03 PM
Howdy fellow stoners,

This afternoon after checking the Red Dwarf trychs that had more and more amber and milky - i took the plunge harvested / manicured the babes!

Was slightly nerve racking and slow going (those little bastard leaves don't make it easy eh!)
but i got there in the end!
All in all for being my first grow - i'm really happy with her!
(i'll give a full report / write up in the summary after the complete harvest / dry / cure / smoke)

Here is the girl before trimming and standing at 76 CM Tall (30 inch) from soil to tip.

With a close up of the top and one of the buds within
214616 214617

Here she is hanging and drying!
I cut vent slots in both sides and holes in top and back.
The box is 55cm L x 37cm x 44 cm) (21" x 14.5" x 17.5"

This leaves the Syrup which is not far behind! More of an update soon!

Much love and excitement!

G.

P.S. Got the trimmings in a paper bag for tonight, will transfer to lay out in a garage tomorrow :)
Should be o.k i guess!

Giutz
16-08-13, 11:10 AM
hello my lovely little stoned monkies!

Just got back from a lil'break in the mountains here in Italy (northern west region for the chronicle) was noticeably cooler and fresher, even with temps in the high 20's! (was just what my 8 month old preincess needed, freshness and a break from the relentless city heat!)

So - Before i went i inspected the Syrup - was more or less the same % trychs, so i trimmed off the brown leaves to make sure no rot would occur etc, watered and left for a few days.
Came back to find that she is so much fuller (budwise) lots of little sugar leaves have sprouted, the Trychs (from todays inspection) seem about 50% amber and 30-40% milky! So will be chopping her today/tomorrow (as i gave her a little water last night, 1.5lt, was letting her dry a little more). Her smell is so strong and "old school" that every time i get a whiff she takes me back to London from the early 90's with the evil weed that did the rounds!
a couple of pics -
the top cola showing the 'famous 90° bend" (is about 24cm/10 inches)

a few bud shots (fist size)
216144 216145 216146

The Red Dwarf is drying well i think. No sign of mold, if anything looks maybe a little crispy? The smell is quite tame, was expecting more. I check the "snapability" of the stalk yesterday, not quite there... still can't be long until curing now!

sooo waaaant too taassste ;) but patience is a virtue, or so i hear

One Love!
G

T3nd3rB33£
16-08-13, 06:05 PM
Hi G,

How's trix mate? Glad u enjoyed your break in the mountains. I don't know much about the geo of Italy, my old man just got back from a tour round France, Italy, Switzerland and Germany on his RV650. Took the stelvio and a few of the other passes through the alps, I'm so gealous, hopefully I'll get it sorted to join him nxt year but first is the motogp at Catalonia anything afta that is a bonus in my eyes.

I'm so daft, when you said the mountain air was good for your 8month old princess I thought you'd took your plant lol and then reality kicked in nd I realised you must be talking bout your daughter. Was thinking that must have been some veg you gave it :)

Its a little late but I'm thinking of starting a diary, my little girls have just matured into ladies "Get In!!!" I didn't want to do one earlier as I didn't know if id get them finished due to circumstances and the geo of our garden in conjunction to the rest of the estate. Did think about starting off in greenhouse then going guerilla to fin but thyre to big to cart aroung the country side so I managed to get some 250 n 400w ballasts and shades with 6bulbs last week and I'm planning on bringing them indoors on a strict 12/12. We have a perfect cupboard in centre of the house with no outside wall which would do the job.

Never know I might even have a few buds at the end of it all. Up to now I've been winging it but will prob need the help of the forum to finish the job.

If I get chance i'll put a thread in the diary section.

Take it easy mate

Giutz
17-08-13, 11:37 AM
nanunanu T3! :)

All is good and groovy thanks bud! The break was just lovely - you know when the masses head to the beach, i find it better to go the other way! And as a city boy, it's just nice to chill out from it all once in a while :)
HAhaha! fantastic man! the image of me taking them and all ;) But yah, my little girl, 8 months old and advanced as you can't iamgine! Already says like 7 different words, crawls (tries to stand continuously etc) - so awesome!

I don't think it's too late man. Well done on the ladies! Happy Days!
I look it at it all as experience! This is my first grow - already replanted another yesterday (to replace the harvested one) - i know it won't be crazy big 'cos of sunshine etc, but it's all experience for me before the next season!
Oh nice! indoors is not an option for me at this time, but i'll be following yours mate, get as much advice on here as you need! ;)
Have you thought about how to vent the room? I've read a lot that ventilation is paramount.?

Winging is my middle name! But then again as you know here is a tome of knowledge so all is possible ;) I'm sure you'll get some nice buds mate, exciting eh!
make sure you do, and pm the link incase i miss it!

Thanks for following the diary man!

peace
G

Giutz
18-08-13, 11:16 PM
Mornin / Evenin peeps!

So a little update - today has been a good day!

I have trimmed and put into jars for curing the Red Dwarf ! :)
(am buying proper decent jars tomorrow, for now they are in temp jars) - the buds are very dry, nice and orange covered, and little sticky. Look nice, but much smell to them yet (heard it will come back when curing).

SO the dry weight before jarring was -91g/3.2 oz.
Personally i'm happy with that :)

Photo of pride :)

Then moving on i harvested and manicured the Syrup!
The density of the buds is amazing, and these past days the smell has been off the chart!
So incredibly sticky and frosty too! (i checked thoroughly for any mold - happy to say non- signs!)

Here you see the Syrup before harvesting, the main stem is about 2CM. And the 90° Bend :)
216967 216968

Then you got a bud hanging shot and the whole box shot.

More to come soon, thanks to everyone who's followed, and helped! You know who you are! ;)

One love
G.

T3nd3rB33£
19-08-13, 06:48 PM
Hey G,

That's not a bad crop m8, 3oz from a little time and lots of love and attention, sure beets meeting some dodgy character in some shit hole estate (I live in a shit hole estate by the way so please don't take offence, that's for the rest of us who live in shit hole estates, which must be a few as the UK is full of them lol) and spending £350 for some sub par, god only knows what, poor excuse for bud.

Congrats m8, would you say you'll get the same from the new crop or maybe a little less, the syrup was a little smaller but tighter buds equals more density equals higher weight.

Can't wait, I'm going out of my mind wanting to see mine at that stage, but good things to he who waits.

Take it easy m8

T3nd3rB33£
19-08-13, 10:50 PM
Hey G,

Not my best day today, bloody Mondays!!

For some reason, I thought the syrup was the smaller of the two but the smaller was the red dwarf, maybe the name gives it away eh??

So.......you shud get a bigger yield off the syrup then, Solis the tighter buds, looking good for you mate.

I started a thread in the general section but havnt had time to sort my cupboard out yet, I'm not going with the built in cupboard I was originally thinking about but gonna use a wardrobe in the spare bedroom instead. Until I get a fan and filter I'll be leaving the doors open during the day with an oscillating fan blowing in there.

I'll post you a link when I sort the thread out.

Cheers G take it easy

Giutz
20-08-13, 02:27 PM
Hey MRT3!
LOL - Mondays.. is there anyone that a) functions well or b) actually likes Mondays?
Don't let the name fool you! ;)

Ahh mate, i grew up in London, so i know very well about housing estates :)

Thanks mate - i'm really happy with the crop (being first one, being that i just threw the seed in a pot more or less)
If i'm honest, i think that maybe they dried a bit fast, a little 'crispy' (have modified the box and repositioned it too:so should be better for the Syrup drying now).
I've just had a sample smoke (it's been curing for only 2 days) - i have to say it is really nice! Smooth(ish) with a light 'almost gingerness' to it... I thought not much effect at first, but as i'm typing i can say the contrary now ;) hahaha
(I will do a smoke report once cured - not too sure how long to cure for actually)

Well the Syrup had what at first i thought was less buddage, but when i trimmed i noticed at least the same amount, and far denser. So yeah i would hope for at leas the same, but i think it could be more quite easily. The top bud weighed wet (60g) and the smell is so vastly different, much "deeper".... can't wait to taste that too!

Good idea mate. I've read on here many great designs and tips etc ofr indoor cupboard etc. Look forward to seeing how it goes!

Thanks for chilling here & Take it easy bro
G

Giutz
28-08-13, 11:22 AM
hey all!

So good and bad news -
Good - harvested and trimmed etc the Syrup - so sticky it was unreal!
Dried weight was just under 60g.

Bad news - today after a few days of curing, when i opened the jar to burp - the stink was not good. Immediately began to chck the bud inside, and found some mold on a few of the bigger buds (a bit inside the actual buds).
Binned immediately the effected buds, and now have the remainder (about 40g) broken down into smaller buds, spread out in a shoe box (lid off) to see how they progress.

Gutted - but it was a valuable lesson. I guess maybe that the bigger buds were not as dry as the others, and i noticed a few leaves that i left when trimming (tiny sugar leaves) so maybe this also attributed to the mold. Boh.?

I don't know if the other buds are effected - didnt bin the whole lot just yet.

The remainder buds do smell a bit, but i think this maybe because they were all in the same jar? And i hope not because they all have mold.

Anyway... asses.

ON a lighter note, the Red Dwarf is a nice little smoke, although very perfumey.

Any advice or input or hugs greatly appreciated.

Peace
G

THE DUDE ABIDES
28-08-13, 11:29 AM
Hi G, I reckon you may have put it in the jars too soon.

Shoe box is a good idea, break up the bigger buds so they dry more rapidly.

Mould needs humidity to survive and will die if there is no moisture.

Hope you manage to save the rest.

All good things
TDA

Giutz
28-08-13, 11:39 AM
*finishes wiping up drool from the pics of the Orgasmatron*

Thanks TDA, i think the same too (guess rookie error, and one that i will not repeat for sure!)

Fingers crossed eh!

Do you think the lingering smell could is a sign they are infected or just because they were in the same jar or spores maybe?

One love
G

THE DUDE ABIDES
28-08-13, 12:08 PM
The lingering smell could be mould but is probably just cos they were in the same jar.

The lovely, fruity smell that you had at harvest often disappears when you start to cure, it often smells a bit like old hay for a while, the nice smell usually returns after a few weeks curing.

All good things
TDA

T3nd3rB33£
31-08-13, 11:15 AM
Hey G,

Sorry to hear about the mould issues you had mate, hope alls good now and you havnt lost too much.

Sorted my groom out, converted wardrobe lol it works though, still need a filter but ill get that next wk.

I know you've been on the thread, its not quite a grow diary but might end up as one. Just advice hunting really.

Take it easy G n good luck with the drying, curing and smoking.