PDA

View Full Version : Best strain for depression?

Troop-nord
24-08-13, 08:52 AM
So, ive been diagnosed with depression :thefinger:

just wondering what the best strains are for this condition, ive heard that sativas are better but im wanting to know personal preferences from you guys :D

Mr.UnclePen
09-09-13, 03:10 PM
I'd say go for the sativa dominant hybrid. Something like Sour Diesel (and please, don't skimp on seeds, genetics are worth every penny) which is 90% sativa, or chem dog which is the parent to diesel and og.

Also, soma's NYC diesel, blueberry, soma's lavander, even a haze like SLH from GHS (one of about 3 strains i'll back GHS for), but my favorite behind chem and diesel is Blue Dream which is blueberry x haze. It tastes like pungent musky blueberries. Almost a candy blueberry as well but it's dead on for taste. Literally tastes like blueberries and haze which is almost a sweet / sour candy berry but so much more.

GoTgReEn
09-09-13, 04:30 PM
I'd say go for the sativa dominant hybrid. Something like Sour Diesel (and please, don't skimp on seeds, genetics are worth every penny) which is 90% sativa, or chem dog which is the parent to diesel and og.

Also, soma's NYC diesel, blueberry, soma's lavander, even a haze like SLH from GHS (one of about 3 strains i'll back GHS for), but my favorite behind chem and diesel is Blue Dream which is blueberry x haze. It tastes like pungent musky blueberries. Almost a candy blueberry as well but it's dead on for taste. Literally tastes like blueberries and haze which is almost a sweet / sour candy berry but so much more.

Nice info mate thanks! My misses also bn put down as depressed and was given tablets to which she's not keen on taken! so our strain list is changing to suit!
Got an g13 Og13 kush which is sat dom, and a Iced Grapefruit which is sat dom! So will see how they work, next to try is Liberty haze,
Pineapple express ,
C99,
Blue dream,
Skywalker kush, all recomended for depression/ anxiety :D

sent from my phone.....

GoTgReEn
09-09-13, 05:23 PM
http://www.leafly.com/explore#

That's a good place to browse :joint:

sent from my phone.....

Rory Breaker
09-09-13, 05:33 PM
Having previously been diagnosed with depression and having suffered various degrees of it in the past i have found that in times of extreme depression where the idea of happiness goes out of the window altogether - smoking doesnt provide a solution, in fact if you dont look to change anything else and just think that smoking will get you through it, it can make things worse.

KiefKat
09-09-13, 05:50 PM
Having previously been diagnosed with depression and having suffered various degrees of it in the past i have found that in times of extreme depression where the idea of happiness goes out of the window altogether - smoking doesnt provide a solution, in fact if you dont look to change anything else and just think that smoking will get you through it, it can make things worse.

No smoking alone doesn't "cure" depression, it can make life bearable, but it won't address the reason you're depressed in the first place. Finding out what is causing your depression and rectifying whatever it is, is the only way to get rid of depression.

GoTgReEn
09-09-13, 05:57 PM

Very valid point :)

sent from my phone.....

Troop-nord
09-09-13, 08:33 PM
Wow thanks guys, I've done a bit more research and a hybrid with a dominant sativa gene seems to be the best way to go about it, only time will tell, ill add my own little strain that i particularly helps, super silver haze, and yes very true it wont cure it, but it sure makes things a helluva lot easier !

notaclue
09-09-13, 09:05 PM
I can say without a doubt that well grown and properly cured Iced grapefruit will definitely help. I have seen people whose spouse was dying and life seemed miserable in every way go from tears to smiles. Iced grapefruit just makes you happy.

GoTgReEn
09-09-13, 09:54 PM
I can say without a doubt that well grown and properly cured Iced grapefruit will definitely help. I have seen people whose spouse was dying and life seemed miserable in every way go from tears to smiles. Iced grapefruit just makes you happy.

Good stuff! Good to know that it had a positive effect on something very tragic. :) looking forward to flowering mine :joint:

sent from my phone.....

Hillbilly
10-09-13, 06:21 PM

Stay away from soma's lavender, IMO Lavender can cause paranoia and my wife can't smoke even a cross of it. A lot of people say CBD strains are great for depression, if picked milky will give a very uplifting mood change we use it, but can get the mind racing so might not be the best night time smoke. My wife likes a lower THC around 15% strains as it doesn't couch lock her but still shuts her mind off for night time smoking. I use CBD ( harlequin ) any time day or night it helps me with so many things, mostly Asthma and pain.

Troop-nord
11-09-13, 11:48 AM
i try to stay away from the cheeses, blue cheese and uk cheese in particular, i find the stone very couch locky with a 15% to about 20% thc content, which is good for trying to get to sleep, the same with white widow at 25-30% thc, very deep stone (which hits the munchy receptors like a b*tch) there are a few which i find help really well, durban poison being the top and citral, even though citral is an indica dominant it really hits you with a lovely orangey lemon taste but a really uplifting happy high!

KiefKat
11-09-13, 12:32 PM
Stickyickyicky is starting a strain atm which sounds perfect for those with depression. Nepalese jam, can't find the thread atm, but supposed to have an envigorating, mood uplifting high.

Mr.UnclePen
11-09-13, 03:32 PM
Stay away from soma's lavender, IMO Lavender can cause paranoia and my wife can't smoke even a cross of it. A lot of people say CBD strains are great for depression, if picked milky will give a very uplifting mood change we use it, but can get the mind racing so might not be the best night time smoke. My wife likes a lower THC around 15% strains as it doesn't couch lock her but still shuts her mind off for night time smoking. I use CBD ( harlequin ) any time day or night it helps me with so many things, mostly Asthma and pain.

How much did she have? I absolutely loved it for depression.

There is a point to have here. Sativa's, if you intake too much / aren't a heavy smoker can easily induce paranoia. That's pretty normal for a strong sativa, but it's a good point. Be careful, and in fact it may not be right for you.

That said. Here's how I explained it to someone else. If you are depressed because you are thinking of your thoughts too often, and are inside your own head then I don't think an indica dominant is a good thing for you. It's just a downer in my eyes, it takes you deeper into the black hole. Sativa's on the other hand bring me up and out of that hole, they lift me out of my brain so I don't sit and think about my thoughts. Obviously I have no idea why your wife gets paranoid but I don't believe that's typical of lavender. However, any strong sativa will set the wrong person to paranoia which is a good point.

Mr.UnclePen
11-09-13, 04:53 PM
In all honesty I don't think it's a sat. dom geno though. There may be some out there probably but what I had was surly ind dom. It was truly a more body stone for me that was sleepy but it has this perfume/lavander smell that is soothing as can be.

For what it's worth i'm just giving my opinion with it, you'll have to find out what works for you. not me.

Hillbilly
12-09-13, 05:58 PM
For what it's worth i'm just giving my opinion with it, you'll have to find out what works for you. not me.

That's the true test as to what works for you, the Lavender I have is an old school inbreed strain and is Ind. Dom but carries enough of the Sat. that it can cause induce paranoia, and even crossed with a Sat. or Ind. Dom strains. It's not just been my wife that has had a problem with the Lavender or crosses that I have. I think a lot of the old school genetics can induce paranoia more then some of the newer strains.

cannamyst
27-09-13, 03:52 AM
I use Jack Herer and Jack H crosses to help with my depression. No, it doesn't cure it, but it does alleviate my depression enough so I can more effectively deal with individual stressors contributing to the bout.