PDA

View Full Version : Encrypt your data + wipe your free space !!!

OldSkoolDude
21-05-09, 02:06 AM
Hi all, I've been reading a few of the legal threads and would like to give some advice about your computers.

1. ALWAYS encrypt any incriminating data, e.g. Grow schedules, pictures and whatever. A simple and free tool to use is Truecrypt (do a google search, I think it's on version 6.1 at the mo). This can also encrypt whole partitions including your OS. SOOOO you can have 2 installed OS's on your drive one encrypted for anything dodgy and one for the family use. And the great thing is no-one is any the wiser as the encrypted partition is undetectable.

2. If you think you've deleted something from your HD. YOU HAVEN'T !! Old files hang around like the stink from your plants... Another easy and free tool for this is disk-redactor (again google) it will completely wipe any free space on your drives so the data can not be recovered it will do it to military spec too so you're local plod tech will have no chance.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR.... HIDE YOUR SHIT...

Tay
21-05-09, 02:35 AM
good post, getting redactor as we speak:)

shaneag13
21-05-09, 07:18 AM
Thanks for this im downloading redactor too :)

REDEYE_420
21-05-09, 01:58 PM
Good Shit OldSkoolDude,DL'd both ov em!
Peace.

OldSkoolDude
21-05-09, 04:03 PM
No worries fella's....

The last thing anyone needs is the plod gettin your pute with all your images on.....

There are some better wipers but they are more complicated to use, but Truecrypt is A1. :toke:

Mr_Bimble
22-05-09, 08:28 PM
We use Truecrypt at work and its good enough for banks/credit card companies to sign you off as data secure - thats good enough for me!

I spent a weekend trying to hack an old laptop from work and I could reset the Bios password to get the machine working but could I fuck get into the hard-drive, I had to buy a new one from PC-world. Still a usable laptop for £40 is still fine.

You can also add passwords to you're physical hard-drive so it wont even spin up without you typing one in, its part of the ATA standards (it was used for the disk-lockout on the original Xbox).

Also while browsing use a proxy - where I work they restrict web access but if you go to a proxy site you can go anywhere and all they see is the ip-address of the proxy server not where you go (usefull now ISP's store your browsing history incase your a terrorist/pedo).

NB - check the latest busts, where plod have used anti-terror legislation/staff to bust growers - then tell me I'm parranoid.

thedoctor
24-05-09, 07:56 AM
Great post, i personally use eraser for cleaning, it too is free. never encrypted anything, think i'll start now. RE browsing, should we be worried ? firefox is my choice with a couple of addons for security. no idea if i'm visible or not.

Father jack
31-05-09, 07:38 AM
NB - check the latest busts, where plod have used anti-terror legislation/staff to bust growers - then tell me I'm parranoid.

Dude your not alone

HardcoreHorticulture
31-05-09, 04:05 PM
I think, and i say think cautiously. I think they go for major growers. Most small timers get caught by breaking the super rule, TELL NO ONE. But what do u think posting your diary on the net is? Its telling everyone, i think disclaimers are the way forward. Any legal experts on here who know anything about how a disclaimer could hinder a warrant in the uk? Also wireless piggybacking and net cafes could get you a long way. So if you do have the urge to show THE WHOLE WORLD your plants u must surely understand the risks. I have never uploaded, or posted at my home adress and never will. PEACE and play it smart.