PDA

View Full Version : Are there crappy strains for scrogging ?

galt
13-02-14, 10:20 AM
I got to talking to someone about yield, and he mentioned someone who could not get more than 5 ounces per plant out of a "True Blackberry" strain he had picked up at great expense. He was NOT scrogging AFAIK.

Can this happen in scrogging? I would think that it would just be a matter of better training and maybe more veg time. So what is the deal? Can a strain max out at that low a yield? Can it just be not worth all the extra time required? Ignorant minds want to know.

Grandad
13-02-14, 03:43 PM
there's the odd strain that doesn't like topping as much, but on the whole any strain is great for the screen. as you say maybe a little longer veg for some, but they will all fill the screen eventually.

Alzy
13-02-14, 03:49 PM
More roots so bigger fruits !!!!!! What size pots they using?

galt
13-02-14, 05:11 PM
More roots so bigger fruits !!!!!! What size pots they using?

I don't know any details. In my search for local mentor to support my move to a medical state, I am meeting lots of people who tell me a pound per plant can't be done. So I don't dig too much into the wannabees. I want a teacher, not students... But when I hear something I did not think about, I think about it... LOL.

Alzy
13-02-14, 08:06 PM
You can't grow a tree in a thimble.
Trust me, I've tried. (Lol, I really have)

galt
13-02-14, 09:39 PM
You can't grow a tree in a thimble.
Trust me, I've tried. (Lol, I really have)

I know that. I just wanted to know if some strains max out at very low yield levels per plant. Sounds like not.

I can deal with variances, I just want to know how paranoid I should be about strain selection. Getting 5 oz plants would suck.

Mr Swilly
13-02-14, 10:33 PM
Some are better than others of course. Try a grapefruit - female seeds. They are the most rampant things i have grown, and I've tried a few.:) There is a diary on here growing 2 strains, one of which is a grapefruit. It isn't difficult to see which one is which.

something maybe to try..
I mucked about with light schedules and 5/1 veg a few years ago. The thinking being... in veg you are not limited to dark periods and can mimic multiple days in a 24hr period..... They stretch a lot (at least when i tried), but this works as you can carve out the necessary structure under the net quicker.... which should help along a slower strain or an indica. Once the underside is covered, then veg normally under a MH to fill out the foliage and strengthen the branches.

I reckon topping a grapefruit is possible every 3-4 days on 5/1 under a pure hps and a big pot. 3-4 weeks of doubling the number of branches every 3-5 days = lots of branches and still should remain a low standing plant. Bonsai heaven.

There is a downside.. The stems are weak and thin, and the foliage can be scarce.... but easily overcome by throwing back on a normal vegschedule for a final week or so of veg to fill out a canopy and strengthen the branches. The point of 5/1 is to get the stems all over the underside of the net asap.

Hope this makes sense. In short, it is possible to stretch your plants in veg to some degree, which is what scroggers want in the early days..

Slightly off on a tangent, but there is no reason not to scrog any plant, and the above may be useful for bringing the slower /bushier ones along a bit and reduce veg times.

:omg:

Murdock
13-02-14, 10:37 PM
there are strains out there that don,t like topped and like a big main cola, they would suit sog better but 90% of strains will scrog good, another good scrogging strain is critical or delahaze, power plant, white widow, most of the kush strains and white strains are fine

galt
13-02-14, 11:03 PM
I am not so much looking to find good scrogging strains as I am wanting to know how to avoid bad scroggers. My strain selection will be driven by medical needs (with a lot of hi CBD strains in the mix) , but would like to avoid any horrible yields.

sideboard
29-04-14, 02:23 PM
S

Slightly off on a tangent, but there is no reason not to scrog any plant, and the above may be useful for bringing the slower /bushier ones along a bit and reduce veg times.

:omg:

Barneys critical kush turned out to have hollow branches which snapped very easily. Maybe it was just me.

FACE
28-05-14, 06:17 PM
Barneys critical kush turned out to have hollow branches which snapped very easily. Maybe it was just me.

Yup it was just u as every one else on here with this one has had great results