PDA

View Full Version : alternative light cycles ... ?

Mr. Don Keidik
27-02-14, 09:14 PM
hi, so im sorry for double posting, i just discovered that section of the forum and i think my question fits better in here, so if one has to be deleted its the one under "growing Q/A" (https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?113626-alternative-light-cycles&p=1069880384#post1069880384).

to the issue -

i was just thinking about alternative light cycles,
i've read that if anything is for certain than its that - 24/0 is bad, though 20/4 might be a little better than 18/6 (?)
did anybody had a side by side experiment on that ?

also i was thinking about completely torn up stuff like - how a plant will do under say - 24/7 (light/dark), or 18/18, 24/12 etc...
i guess no one has ever tried thoes ?

Doozy
02-04-14, 03:00 AM
Gas Lantern Routine

Simple
04-04-14, 08:16 PM
I know it's lazy to copy and paste, but it's easier than trying to re-write it and make sense. This is interesting...

The only photoperiod manipulation from years of experiments that offered discernible improvements was this adjustment made for 1 or 2 calendar weeks at the point of maximum flowering rate: Daylength of 21 hours, 36 minutes with a dark period of 12 hours. To accomplish this, you need a 7 day, 24 hour digital timer. During a 7 day calendar week on Earth, the "sun" only cycles 5 times. This permits easily switching back to the regular 12/12 at your discretion. You may want to only alter during peak flower production to stimulate the plant's metabolism. Using this photoperiod throughout the flowering cycle will cause this:

A variety that takes 49 days of 12/12 to mature, won't see 49 - 12 hour dark periods under 21:36/12 until almost 10 calendar weeks have passed.

The total increase in light energy is almost 80%, which will produce larger yields, if all of your other enviromental conditions are kept optimal.

The total increase in flowering period is only 40%, half the potential room for improvement. This means you don't have to be perfect to win out.

Selective application of the 21:36/12 photperiod for only 1 or 2 weeks extends the wait only 2 to 4 Earth days, which makes up the missing 2 complete day and night cycles each week on Planet Ito. This permits the additional light energy to be provided without purchasing additional equipment or overloading existing circuits, which maximizes the existing system's capabilities. The main advantage is that matched with co2 and optimal nutrition, the plants metabolism will increase dramatically. I have only successfully tested this photoperiod for two weeks. The potential for a net increase of 40% over the entire cycle (80% increase in light energy vs. 40% longer wait) is worthwhile. Don't be afraid!

Day 1 - Sunday, 6:00am til Monday, 3:36am
Day 2 - Monday, 3:36pm til Tuesday, 1:12pm
Day 3 - Wednesday, 1:12am til Wednesday, 10:48pm
Day 4 - Thursday, 10:48am til Friday 8:24am
Day 5 - Friday, 8:24pm til Saturday 6:00pm

Author: MisterIto

Mo!
04-04-14, 09:06 PM
I remember looking at this when I first got back into growing. I never found anything to prove either way. I've seen quite a few threads out there debating the 24h vs 18h day cycle, but nothing with any science (read that as actual testing) to back it up. Although I like the stuff that Simple posted above. Best bet would be a side by side test to see if you could change the circadian rhythm or not. It makes sense that you can, as you can see this in humans/animals where there's extended periods of light/dark, so plants should be able to follow the same. Personally, I'm on a 24 hour cycle, and it's much easier for me to fit maintenance and such in with my schedule when my plants are on the same cycle. :)

The two biggest debates that I remember came from the amount of dark required, and confusion on finish dates with a shortened day cycle. The majority of the noise swears that it has to be 12 hours of dark, even though we're talking about modifying the circadian rhythm to an 18 hour cycle. Then the other was folks arguing over finish times. Everything you see now is based on a 24 hour day, so does a 60 day finisher still finish in 60 18 hour cycles? Like I said, someone needs to just do a side by side grow tent test of this all.

From my notes here was what an example comparison looked like (assuming the 12 hour dark was required):

Normal grow would be:
Veg cycle = 18/6
Flower cycle = 12/12
4 calendar weeks of veg = 28 cycles @ 18 Hours / day of light
8 calendar weeks of flower = 56 cycles @ 12 Hours / day of light
= 1176 hours over 12 calendar weeks

Then switching to an 18 hour day using the equivalent cycles:
Veg cycle = 14/4
Flower cycle = 6/12 (I don't agree with these numbers, but it was the example I had in my notes)
3 calendar weeks of veg = 28 cycles @ 14 Hours / day of light
6 calendar weeks of flower = 56 cycles @ 6 Hours / day of light
= 546 hours over 9 calendar weeks

To get those calendar days for the 18 hour cycle it's:
Veg: 28 cycles * 18 hours = 504 Hours / 24 calendar hours = 21 days on our calendar / 7 days in a week = 3 weeks
Flower: 56 cycles * 18 hours = 1008 hours / 24 calendar hours = 42 days on our calendar / 7 days in a week = 6 weeks

Assuming it all would work, then you're looking at something like a 40% reduction in power requirements (lighting only), and 25% reduction in grow time. But then that goes back to can you get a plant to finish in this fashion, or will it still stretch out and follow our calendar despite the days being only 18 hours or not.

Only one way to really tell. :)

Simple
04-04-14, 09:48 PM
My shout? 24/0 for veg, 12/12 for flower. Keep it.....(all together now) SIMPLE!

Mo!
04-04-14, 09:53 PM
I completely agree!

ohyesplease
08-04-14, 10:09 AM
I have been using DLR for years now and I just love when i'm down to 9 hours a day and how the plants go into overdrive resin production..I don't really care about saving electricity, but this routine does. Less light, less heat, more stealthy is good for me. Look it up 13/1 in veg then start on 11/13 and drop 30 mins every week after the first two weeks till you reach 9 hours...I know many people are like 12/12 man don't fix it if it ain't broken... this is true and each to their own, but me I would never grow using 12/12 to many hours. have fun, and before you jump on me bla bla...try it and yes i have done side by side and no I don't post images ever happy growing my friends and stay high.

:)

brer
08-04-14, 10:42 AM
Nothing bad about 24H in veg bro. I have done it for years.

662tyrone
08-04-14, 11:03 AM
I stick with the 24 hr cycle of 18/6 and 12/12

ohyesplease
08-04-14, 11:40 AM
its all good if i grows and you can smoke it well tha'ts the job done. You got to stick with what you know ;)