PDA

View Full Version : KDs-DWC-13/11FS - Lucas Formula & Kritical Kush

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 12:58 AM
Well my last grows almost done so Im gonna start this now.

Heres the plan....

Im interested in the (seaming) ease the lucas formula offers to hydro.

For those that dont know a guy called lucas "found out" (was taught by someone known as pH!!) that there is enough N in GH Micro and GH Bloom to use them without needing GH Grow (all Flora Series nutes) as long as plants are fed 0-8-16ml (Grow-Micro-Bloom) per gallon of water. (0-5-10 if using CFLs or <400W HPS)

Now obviously you cant stick a seedling in full strength nute solution but as long as its kept at a ratio of 1micro:2bloom it should work.

Im also gonna be doing the putback method. That is....

Ive a 30 litre res so once Ive topped up 30 litres of water... next top up is a full res change. Apparently it works well from what Ive seen elsewhere. Top ups are done with 0-2-4ml per gallon (3.75ltrs)

Basic rules of hydro still apply ie....
pH HAS to stay between 5.5-6.2
EC HAS to go no higher then 1200 (although ive read 3000 is the highest with this method!!)

Ive got 4 KDO2Bins© although Im only gonna use one for now to test the lucas formula theory. If all goes well I'll be doing all 4 next grow (possibly RDWC if hannibal can help me set it up) If not I have a bottle of GH Grow on standby just in case!!

Feel free to follow along, ask questions and leave comments. Biscuits are in the tin, help yourselves to the fridge. Just leave me some coffee.... Im gonna need it :D

:p
KD

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 01:05 AM
Heres what a finished KDO2Bin© looks like...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/04/y8egazav.jpg
Its basically a 35ltr DIY oxypot with a tube up the side to keep an eye on water levels and to fill up res without disturbing roots. To empty the res I just unscrew the pipe and let it flow. It has an airstone gluegunned to the base and high grade, solid black dripper tubing as an airline. Im not selling these before anyone asks. Just filling you guys in on the details.

:D
KD

scoobs
04-04-14, 02:30 AM
Smart lookin invention dave;)...uv not pissed about makin em either...lol..
Looks tidy...in hydro as far as i go is coco...lol..but i do know plants&il sub to this little escapede😎...good luck man:toke:

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 02:42 AM
Smart lookin invention dave;)...uv not pissed about makin em either...lol..
Looks tidy...in hydro as far as i go is coco...lol..but i do know plants&il sub to this little escapede😎...good luck man:toke:

Taa laa :D

I dont know how its gonna go but should be fun eh :) Just got to spray the base matt white and soak my stones n its showtime :D

scoobs
04-04-14, 02:47 AM
Allways be fun with the wire...i mean...(wigan) about..lol..i look forward man..lookin into oxypots miself;)....not yet tho:)...
Good luck kd...il be watchin out for the updates...😎:joint:

Dave-Hester
04-04-14, 04:28 AM
Looking very smart Dave:)

Way above my head all this fancy stuff but looks and sounds like you might no abit about what your trying to do so I wish you good luck on this little mission man:smokie:

I'm subbed!!

Dave's co-D. Dave

THCman428
04-04-14, 05:37 AM
Sounds good in theory but.....what about your potassium...extremely important in healthy stem building. Grow is not very high in nitrogen anyway that's why you don't nee the extra nitrogen. But is assume having grow in your mixes will produce stronger branches. Good luck either way m8

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 10:57 AM
Sounds good in theory but.....what about your potassium...extremely important in healthy stem building. Grow is not very high in nitrogen anyway that's why you don't nee the extra nitrogen. But is assume having grow in your mixes will produce stronger branches. Good luck either way m8

Aparrently.... not using the GH grow will be better for stem production. Something to do with the N in Micro being different to the N in grow. I need to read over that bit again, I didnt fully understand that bit. :)

Hey Dave, dont be trying to bid for these mate. They aint for sale.... Noooooope!!!

Thanks for dropping in. I'll get back to you on the stems

KD

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 11:10 AM
OK so....

When using a strong acid such as pH down to pH the res water, the pH down interacts with alkaline substances like calcium, the two oppositely electrically charged ions bond and cancel out to a neutral salt, which forms a sediment. The sediment itself is harmless but I could be faced with Calcium deffs and P toxicity. Better go and get some Cal.Max from the shop to be on the safe side.

Thanks for bringing that up THC Dude :D

KD

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 11:17 AM
Another thing thats gonna be a bit of fun is the addback formula.

Target EC/Current EC - 1 x 8 x Res Size (in gallons which in my case is 8) = How many ml of nutes to add to the res (In theory)

Thats not including the Cal.Max IF its needed so I'll have to mix up my top up water - add the Cal.Max at 1/2 strenght - Add more plain water to bring the EC down to where I want it - pH the solution then top up.

This is well fun already and I aint even cracked a bean yet!!! :D

Duke1
04-04-14, 11:18 AM
allright dave!at it again allready!nice neat looking bin you got there,i aint been brave enough to try water hydro in a drobe yet as rh would be a great problem in drobes i reckon,coco is just about managable also the floors in drobes arent that strong and i worry the weight would break it.good luck with this lucas formula thing i have heard a few talk about it on here,i will sub and follow along,might learn something!peace

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 11:22 AM
I dont see RH being an issue as the water is contained in a bucket. With coco you have a much greater surface area for water to evaporate from so OxyPots shouldnt be an issue for you. Better yet - build your own KDO2Bin© lol

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 11:25 AM
OH YEAH..... Before I go, Im thinking of adding a water pump to the bucket and a drip line from the tube at the side. That'd make this a RDWC system like an aquafarm. Im worried about the stones drying too much early on as I only have experience with aquafarms (Thanks Grandad) they do kick ass tho eh :D

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 01:26 PM
Just got this....

Lab Rat
04-04-14, 04:10 PM
I was going to go Lucas & may still on another grow, but I found using flora nova the ec would of been over 2.0 & got kinda scared although its obviously tried & tested.. I was a bit wary being a novice & from what I read & experience, you dont need such high levels in DWC. My plants like 1.3 & anymore stop drinking so I knocked the Lucas idea on the head for now. Although it does sound a really simple way of growing if you have RO water of course not sure you can do it with tap water.

Goodluck anyway, keep us posted.

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 04:49 PM
You can do it with tap water as long as you bubble the chlorine off for 24hrs and pH before you fill up. RO is reccomended because at 0-8-16 you dont need to check pH or EC as all RO is the same.

Im gonna be doing things slightly different tho and using 0-1-2 ratio till I get my desired EC....

Seedlings EC 0.4-0.6
Veg EC 0.7-1.0
Flower EC 1.0-1.3 MAX

Not including background EC

Lab Rat
04-04-14, 05:31 PM
You can do it with tap water as long as you bubble the chlorine off for 24hrs and pH before you fill up. RO is reccomended because at 0-8-16 you dont need to check pH or EC as all RO is the same.

Im gonna be doing things slightly different tho and using 0-1-2 ratio till I get my desired EC....

Seedlings EC 0.4-0.6
Veg EC 0.7-1.0
Flower EC 1.0-1.3 MAX

Not including background EC

Youde have trouble doing it with my tap water .8

Also question: Why do you need the Calmax, I thought the GH micro nuits where the same thing?

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 09:11 PM
Read post #9....

Its to counteract the effect of pH down hopefully.

Lab Rat
04-04-14, 09:20 PM
Read post #9....

Its to counteract the effect of pH down hopefully.

Ah okay,

I have just had to add some cal/mag with Flora nova grow, didnt think ide need too.

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 09:23 PM
Ah okay,

I have just had to add some cal/mag with Flora nova grow, didnt think ide need too.

That'll be why. I never knew that til I started researching this. Its amazing what you learn with this hobby eh :D

Lab Rat
04-04-14, 09:29 PM
Its amazing what you learn with this hobby eh :D

Always learning something knew. :)

Grandad
04-04-14, 10:10 PM
bang tidy dave, i'll be watching/learning with interest how using no grow goes.

best of luck with em buddy :weed:

as for the ec, I've had mine up to 2 with no problems, but as you say 1.2 is plenty as you can't force feed them, and higher salt levels means less room for DO.

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 10:13 PM
Eh up grandad!! I keep wanting to change my mind and just use all the range but as they say.... Nothing ventured is nothing gained!! Should be fun eh :D

Thanks for dropping by :)

:p
KD

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 10:16 PM
One finished bin....
Any ideas how to straighten the pipe up the side???

Just gonna fit the pump and test it all :D

May even upload a video ;)

KrazyDave
04-04-14, 10:54 PM
Water pumps fitted and working. Cant upload to youtube for some reason. I'll try again tomorrow.

KrazyDave
06-04-14, 11:19 PM
Note to self - changed rooms around, keep eye on temps & RH. Calibrate EC meter!!

Hey guys n girls, I'm gonna crack my seed tomorrow. Stones have been soaking in water pH 5.5 for a few days and appear to be stable. Dripper is fitted and working. Got 20ltrs H2O bubbling away.

Eventually, nutes are gonna be added at 8ml micro & 16ml bloom per gallon, but because theyre seedlings Im gonna start off at 2ml & 4ml. 20ltrs is 5 gallons so I'll need 10ml Micro + 20ml bloom pH 5.5. I'll check the EC once its done and adjust if needed.

KrazyDave
07-04-14, 01:22 AM
Is it right I wont need to flush before harvest? Surely not... we shall see.

scoobs
07-04-14, 01:26 AM
Fookin hell krazy....lets get em growin before harvest talk...lol👍

KrazyDave
07-04-14, 01:37 AM
Fookin hell krazy....lets get em growin before harvest talk...lol👍

Hahahahaha

You got a point tho matey. Gonna pop one in some tissue tomoz. Got it warming up from the fridge at the mo :D

scoobs
07-04-14, 01:45 AM
Cant wait man👍...wanna see ur invention in full swing soon:)...mon the krazypots😎:joint:

KrazyDave
07-04-14, 02:01 AM
I like that name better. KDs KrazyPots© «---- copywritten so dont copy me!!!!

Well you can if you want but I aint sure its gonna work yet lol

KrazyDave
08-04-14, 12:40 PM
FFS!!! Mrs KD had another bitch fit and fed my seedling to Bonsai!!! What a cunt that girl can be!!!!

Good job I have 9 more innit :D
gonna take another out the fridge. BRB

:)
KD

Marky2012
10-04-14, 02:23 PM
im going to sub if ok as im doing kk now and as im a newbie on the bubbler always looking for good tips and tricks

KrazyDave
11-04-14, 12:56 PM
Welcome aboard matey :D

Ive got my seedling sat in a heated prop in my tent now. Had a pretty bad week tho....

Mrs KDs Nan died so shes flown back to the UK for a week, Works doing my nut in, Im skint as fook too but at least its sunny.

Anyway, EC meter is calibrated, background EC is 0.4 so I will start the seedling off with EC 0.8 total and build up as needed until I hit EC 1.6. pH 5.5-6.2

Special Branch
11-04-14, 01:04 PM
looking very spacey KD, i'll tag along for the ride m8 :thcleaf:

KrazyDave
11-04-14, 04:41 PM
The more the merrier mate. Grab a chair n chillax :D

KrazyDave
12-04-14, 10:04 PM
Seed germed - Check
Seedling appeared - Check
System cleaned - Check
Stones soaked - Check

Its time to get this show on the road as soon as Ive trimmed Davide n Davina :D

KrazyDave
12-04-14, 10:05 PM
Ahhh shit!!!

Bubbled 25ltrs tap water - No!!!

scoobs
12-04-14, 10:16 PM
Ahhh shit!!!

Bubbled 25ltrs tap water - No!!!

All in check bez;)...love ur new avatar pic...looks like me..lol..i tried burn down parliment but got
busted&tortured..haha..

Gander
13-04-14, 07:59 AM
Im checking in fella

I use the 3G,2M,1B method until 2weeks into flower then switch it other way.

I also run RO water, i still add cal mag as i always seemto get Cal/mag Def when using coco, im now part of the hydro club so ill see.

KrazyDave
13-04-14, 11:17 AM
All in check bez;)...love ur new avatar pic...looks like me..lol..i tried burn down parliment but got
busted&tortured..haha..
Hahaha me too scoobs. Im a big fan of Mr Fawkes idea to bring down parliment, just not what he wanted to do after.

Im checking in fella

I use the 3G,2M,1B method until 2weeks into flower then switch it other way.

I also run RO water, i still add cal mag as i always seemto get Cal/mag Def when using coco, im now part of the hydro club so ill see.

I fuckin hate coco and soil for that reason. You have total control over whats happening in hydroponics. If theres an issue, its your fault not the mediums. Most of my issues are probably gonna be because of the lucas formula but if it works, it works.

UP THE HYDRO DWC!!!!
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/hello-dave-dave-your-my-wife-now.png

KrazyDave
15-04-14, 02:30 AM
Aaaaahhh big hairy bollocks!!!!!!!
Filled the Krazy Bin up, put seedling in stones, fitted it all up nicely...... suddenly realise my toe is wet!!!! WTF??? The glue I used to keep the pipe in the corner piece has set solid but not watertight!!! The Krazy Bin is no more..... now its just a bin :(

Anyway the drippers still working and stuff so on with the show.....

20ltrs H2O
pH set at 5.5
BGEC = 0.4
+4ml micro
+8ml bloom
EC = 0.7

Taking it easy as shes only just a baby :D Im soooooo happy to be getting this under way at last. :D

weedtroll
15-04-14, 02:14 PM
Sweet set up KD.
And top DIY skills mate loving the Krazy bin. Hope you can fix the leak mate :)

I'll sub up Dave and I hope you smash it mate. Best of luck.

KrazyDave
15-04-14, 02:20 PM
Cheers WT. I want that pipe to help making res changes and water levels easier to manage so Im gonna get some silicone sealer on the weekend and try again. The hot glue gun stuff just didnt stick to the pipe once it had set :(

Takes more then that to beat me tho. Already planning my RDWC system too lol

Peace
KD

KrazyDave
17-04-14, 12:27 AM
Ive got a problem!! EC has stayed the same but pH was 4.8. Now im pretty sure that if the pH had dropped due to the water evaporating and the acidic nutes being more concentrated then the EC would have risen but it hasnt at all!!

The stones were soaked in pH 5.5 water for a few weeks due to setbacks with the systems build so its not them being out.

I checked the calibration of the pH meter and thats still spot on.

It cant be root rot as the rootball doesnt exist yet.

Could it be the air stone???

Im tempted to fit my air pump to my water pump and use it like that without the dripper fitting. Would that make a difference???

The seedling is lying on its side today so Ive proped it up.

Should I just bin the lot (no pun intended) and make a RDWC system instead with waterfalls instead of airstones and start again???

I know Ive done something wrong here. I just cant figure out what!!

KrazyDave
17-04-14, 12:30 AM
Or should I fit a waterfall to the original Krazy Bin??

KrazyDave
17-04-14, 11:07 AM
Anyone?????

mellowed
17-04-14, 11:20 AM
Are you sure everything is light tight mate?

Once the light gets to the nutrients then its only a mater of hours before the ph starts dropping massively as growth builds in the water. Did you stand the water before hand?

If you get a water pump an aim it up so its breaking or moving the surface of the water ( flooming) this will have the same action as the air stone.

mellowed
17-04-14, 12:30 PM
Yo dave. I fixed ya problem :)

mellowed
17-04-14, 01:46 PM
Bah bah bah. Dont listen then. Sod ya :D

KrazyDave
17-04-14, 08:00 PM
Are you sure everything is light tight mate?

Once the light gets to the nutrients then its only a mater of hours before the ph starts dropping massively as growth builds in the water. Did you stand the water before hand?

If you get a water pump an aim it up so its breaking or moving the surface of the water ( flooming) this will have the same action as the air stone.

Yo dave. I fixed ya problem :)

Bah bah bah. Dont listen then. Sod ya :D

Yeah dude. The lids covered in metal tape. No gaps anywhere and black pipe used for the dripper. Water was stood for 2 days before hand with a water pump in with an air pump fitted to the outlet. It works better then an airstone as it flumes as well as airates. I might swap it for the airstone in the tent tho.

When you say "growth builds in the water" are you refering to bacteria or roots? The roots havnt hit the res yet and theres a bottle of 3% H2O2 in there too. Ive got Ionic Liquid Oxygen on order, just waiting for the shop to call and tell me its been delivered.

Sorry I aint been on all day. Spent 6 hours turning my gaff upside down lookin for a passport to get my lad back to the UK. I reckon Mrs KD has it with her or its been thrown out by accident!! Either way its not here :(

I'll check the system at 9ish when lights come on. Let ya know whats occuring later :D

KrazyDave
17-04-14, 11:38 PM
Well I checked the system. After adding some fresh water the pH had risen slightly and EC had dropped slightly. All good in the hood again!! Well almost.....

I accidently dropped the netpot sending stones flying everywhere and as I moved to pick up the plant, I stood on a load sending me flying up into the air and landed directly on the seedling!!! Needless to say, after having 98 kilo of KD landing on it, its brown bread!!!

If me n Mrs KD didnt have bad luck at the moment, we wouldnt have any luck at all!! We better be in for a lottery win this year or karma is fucked!!!!

Could you please lock this thread until further notice Mr Mellowed sir. After youve posted your comment taking the piss that is lol

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead:

mellowed
17-04-14, 11:45 PM
Erm. No comment mate lol

Growth I ment bacteria. I had trouble with my air lines being clear and allowing light to travel down them into the res. Covered them up with blackout curtain an removed the build up algie/seaweed stuff an sorted It out. Doesn't take much.

Anyway. I'm are the seedlings will be fine. Just leave them be for a week :)

KrazyDave
17-04-14, 11:54 PM
Naa my arse crushed it mate. Its proper fukt!!! Gonna take the opportunity to build a RDWC system instead.

mellowed
17-04-14, 11:56 PM
Lmfao. Don't suppose you happen to tie you own laces together while you were tending to your other plants did ya?

KrazyDave
18-04-14, 12:53 AM
Naa man. Fancied havin myself a grow room roller disco but got no skates so thought fuck it, this'll work!!! Turns out to work better then I imagined. Legs every where, quick superman stunt n a cushy landing flat on me arse lad lol

Im sure Ive got a stone embeded in my spine now tho. Hurts like fuck landing on hydroton with no top on!!! Lol could have been worse tho. I narrowly missed my head on my table n kicking the bucket of water over my leccy!!!

Did I tell you bout gettin electrocuted last week???

Tellin ya mate, its either bad luck or no luck atm!!!

weedtroll
18-04-14, 12:56 AM
Ahh KD :(

Remember mate all luck is temporary, including bad luck. Shit'll change for the better :)
Getting another seed popped then? onwards and upwards old boy :)

KrazyDave
18-04-14, 12:59 AM
Im thinkin of doing all 8 thats left in soil until I sort out my RDWC. Times are bad in the KD castle at the mo :(

Anyone have any tricks on removing hydroton from a human body? Lol

weedtroll
18-04-14, 01:08 AM
Yeah KD join the darkside mate :)

If you've got space get your own compost bins on the go, with the heat everything will rot down quick.

Can put in exactly what you want to get a nice rich fertile compost. Could sell it along with your Krazybins :) Krazy D's dirty secret :D And charge the local organic growers silly money for 10 litres :D
You near to the sea? Get that seaweed in too and make it KD's super dirty secret.

KrazyDave
18-04-14, 01:17 AM
Yeah KD join the darkside mate :)

If you've got space get your own compost bins on the go, with the heat everything will rot down quick.

Can put in exactly what you want to get a nice rich fertile compost. Could sell it along with your Krazybins :) Krazy D's dirty secret :D And charge the local organic growers silly money for 10 litres :D
You near to the sea? Get that seaweed in too and make it KD's super dirty secret.

Holy shit yeah!!! Why have I never thought of that??? Theres stinkin great piles of the stuff up north!!!!

You squire are a legend!!!! :D :D

KrazyDave
18-04-14, 09:28 PM
Fuck it. I aint gonna hear the end of this from Dave probably but Im gonna try mud again. I cant be arsed with all this fart arsein around anymore. I just wanna grow weed. Wish me luck :D

Duke1
18-04-14, 11:11 PM
bless dave i dont now anyone with worse luck,i thought mine was piss poor at times but wow i hope it improves mate i really do,good luck with your back to basics mud,simple if you start right with seed and cutting compost,not fecking miracle grow!i was trying to help some fella on here and turns out hes planted in mg supersoil from seed!fuck me it frys em quicker than anything,napalm for plants,good job you seem a resilient sort!say hi to bonsai and tina says hi,peace
Fuck it. I aint gonna hear the end of this from Dave probably but Im gonna try mud again. I cant be arsed with all this fart arsein around anymore. I just wanna grow weed. Wish me luck :D

KrazyDave
19-04-14, 12:13 AM
I dont give up easily. Or maybe Im just stubborn. Either way im gonna get something right eventually lol :D

weedtroll
19-04-14, 12:21 AM
I wish you all the luck in the world KD. Get some mud in and get yer hands dirty :)
Mon the dirt :D

tinyelephants
22-04-14, 01:34 PM
FINALLY! Im here.. muhaha.

KrazyDave
22-04-14, 03:01 PM
I wish you all the luck in the world KD. Get some mud in and get yer hands dirty :)
Mon the dirt :D
Yeah I already have W.T. Takes the piss getting out from under youre nails eh lol

FINALLY! Im here.. muhaha.

Fuckin took you long enough hermano lmao :D Too many paintballs to the coconut I reckon lol

KrazyDave
23-04-14, 01:45 AM
Good news!!! (For a change)

All 8 seeds are cracked and tapped and sitting in there nice warm wet beds of muck :D Bout time I had some good news I tell ya!!

Anyway.... This shit is on!!!

Mon da mud :D

KrazyDave
23-04-14, 10:59 PM
Good news!!! (For a change)

All 8 seeds are cracked and tapped and sitting in there nice warm wet beds of muck :D Bout time I had some good news I tell ya!!

Anyway.... This shit is on!!!

Mon da mud :D

Oops.... wrong diary lol