PDA

View Full Version : Guide To General Curing & More

lala124
19-09-07, 03:43 AM
Im talking like 3 month long cures.

Just wanted to get it right. So correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what you do:

1. Trim and hang buds up to dry until stems snap between thumbs.
2. Put in a brown paper bag that is loosely closed for a week.
3. Put in glass jar and burp for 10-15 minutes everyday.
4. If the bud gets too dry while during the drying process, just put a leaf or a citrus peel in there without it touching the curing bud for this can cause budrot.

So Im pretty sure thats it.

lala124
19-09-07, 03:52 AM
You can do the water cure with dried and wet bud. Thats the beauty of it. But it looses a lot of bag appeal. Also a lot of the terpenes are sucked out so it doesnt have much taste or smell. The major benefit of water curing is that you can completely cure your bud in 7 days and it sucks out a LOAD of nasties, making for a much smoother smoke. Heres how it goes:

1. Fill up a bucket of water and submerge buds COMPLETELY. If you dont they will rot without a doubt. You may want to weigh them down as they will float if you dont. And make sure the bucket is not covered. You want the shit to evap out.

2. Wait 24 hours then pour out water. Fill up bucket again and repeat step one. Do this for 7-8 days. You can tell when its done because the water will be clear.

3. Dry that shit out. What I do is after I take them out, I place them on a paper towel and put another on top to get the surface water out. Then I hang them and place a fan on them until dry.

4. Toke that shit up!

This method is not as good as long term curing because it doesnt break down the THCA to THC like longterm curing does, but its great to do for part of your harvest so you have something to smoke then long term cure the other bud.

Water curing is also a great way to deal with buying harsh uncured weed. Just do this and its wayyyyy nicer than when you bought it those middies. But dont do this for good bud unless you want to get rid of the smell and taste.

Enjoy!

Lala

lala124
19-09-07, 04:02 AM
Drying is quite simple. It just takes a little patience. And remember, drying is only the first process of harvesting. Then you should cure your bud to make it into some good stuff.

I know of a few methods, but I am going to focus on hang drying and freeze drying.

Hang Drying is the simplest, heres the process:

1. Trim leaves off freshly harvested bud.
2. Hang buds up in the air upside down without them touching each other.
3. Make sure its in a cool dry area and you can have a fan blowing but not directly on them. This causes it to dry too fast.
4. They are ready to brownbag and cure when the stems snap between your thumbs.

Then you have freeze drying, which requires attaining Dry Ice. I can get it at my local grocery store. It is also good to have the bud partially dried by hanging then this to finish it off, but this works with completely fresh bud too. Heres the process:

1. Using gloves so you dont freeze burn yourself, layer the bottom of a tupperware container with nice amount of dry ice. 2cm is good.
2. Place buds over the dry ice.
3. Put the top on the tupperware making it airtight.
4. Pop 4 or 5 pen sized holes in the top of the tupperware making that the only place for air to escape.
5. Put into freezer until all dry ice is evapped.
6. If buds arent completely dried yet, redo steps 1-3 with a little bit less dry ice.

Remember, drying is only the first part of the process. Curing is next.

lala124
19-09-07, 04:05 AM
General Curing is the exact same process as long term curing except you dont allow the bud as much time because you want to smoke it.

1. Brownbag it.
2. Jar it burping for 15 minutes everyday for a week or 2.
3. Shmoke it up!

Lala

asci
19-09-07, 08:26 AM
I don't use brown bags though myself. As long as you give the bud around 5-6 days to dry then when in the jars they'll be fine. (with burping)

Midnight Toker
19-09-07, 09:33 AM
I didn't use brown paper bags with my 1st crop, jarred it up when it "seemed" to be dry & ended up throwing most of it away a couple of weeks later as it wasn't dried properly & rotted.

So i dry for 5-8 days then into bags for a few more just to make sure, it does seem to draw out more moisture, i aint losing another crop !

I get my brown paper bags from work, they use them in the canteen/shop for take aways etc. so i keep em & put em to good use.

Gmaninnirvana
19-09-07, 09:40 AM
Brown bags went out with the ark around here!:sorry:
I thread buds onto cotton,suspend them across a cardboard box,lid/flaps down,airing cupboard or similar.4-5 days thereabouts and Roberts your mothers brother! Bit fiddly but works a treat.:harvest:

lkdj2003
19-09-07, 10:16 AM
Great thread Lalal. :toke:

I use brown paper bags to dry my buds as i found just drying them and jaring them up can leave a slight tang to your buds if done to early. Where as if you use brown paper bags the buds dry a little faster and better ready for smoking and then you can pop the buds into jars to store as the buds will be 99% dry. Again alot of people use what they find best or get on with best.

I've merged these threads as you asked Lala. ;)

lala124
19-09-07, 03:14 PM
Thanks LK.

Glad everyones liking it. I think.

evo
29-10-07, 02:51 PM
I thread buds onto cotton,suspend them across a cardboard box,lid/flaps down,airing cupboard or similar.4-5 days thereabouts and Roberts your mothers brother! Bit fiddly but works a treat.:harvest:

same here mate, cept i put a square of holes eg

o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o

on either side of the box, and have a pc fan attached to one, blowing air in slowly to keep the air circulated in there.

LAL
29-10-07, 04:28 PM
This method is not as good as long term curing because it doesnt break down the THCA to THC like longterm curing does

that just sucks balls man.... wont even get u mash up in the slightest?

lala124
29-10-07, 05:53 PM
Oh man itll still get you fucked up. Plus, that statement was sorta only toward stuff with bud without heat. When you smoke it, it converts, but thats one of the reasons uncured bud is a little harsh. Its REALLY nothing to worry about.

asci
30-10-07, 10:18 AM
Nice ideas guys, but I'll stick with what I know. I've found that as long as you open the jars daily for a short time then they come out just lovely..

evo
30-10-07, 03:04 PM
I can't get my hand on decent jars so I use tuppawear, which works fine, opening for about 20 mins a day.

lala124
31-10-07, 05:13 AM
I getcha asci, but sometimes its nice to do this for part of a harvest so you can smoke it 7 days after harvesting and have it nice and smooth, and wait for the other buds to cure for the couple months.

asci
31-10-07, 04:02 PM
True. I've always been lucky enough to have a bit left from the previous harvest so I've not had to worry.. :)

sweetsinner
01-11-07, 11:49 AM
Very informative thread, and has come in handy this week.

I did have the stalk i cut last week hanging drying in a cardboard box, but it dried too fast for my liking, so 4 of the girls i have chopped are hanging in the cool tent and they seem to be doing just greeeeeeaat, then its into paper bags for me too :)

lala124
01-11-07, 04:03 PM
Glad you liked it sweet :D.

You should try the watercure for a small amount, you cant go wrong.

Oh, and also, with the watercure, drying it, Ive found a small space heater works better than a fan.

wenslydale
04-06-09, 06:07 PM
fuck putting ur weed in water after u took all that time getting it nice lol. might aswell smoke some wet leave. ur maddd lol

Tay
04-06-09, 06:23 PM
don't knock it till you try it... i've never puffed anything this smooth through my bong. the stone was easily just as good too.

this is a comparison shot, it was really hard to get good enough focus to see how dense the water cured weed is compared to the normal dried stuff...

these buds were similar sizes before the drying process
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i178/ytsejams20/P081208_140401.jpg

and a couple with my loupe:
water cured
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i178/ytsejams20/P081208_1408.jpg

dried
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i178/ytsejams20/P081208_140801.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i178/ytsejams20/PC080111.jpg

John Smith
04-06-09, 07:32 PM
If peeps need any ideas on good curing jars, pop'n'lock plastic tubs work and another good one is Douwe Egberts coffee jars, if your a resident to the UK and are a skip raider like me, wait until recycle day and ask your neighbours or keep an eye out for these.

https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/564/medium/DSC000924.JPG

Brilliant thread by the way!!! have to say those water cured nuggs look mighty solid!

boomshiva
14-10-09, 12:03 AM
great pics
very helpfull
.boom

mama mia
25-10-09, 12:42 AM

lid flaps down (on or off ? ) little bit thick!